Opinion on leaf spring Sliders...

LonnieC

So I was just wondering what is everyone's opinion on leaf sping sliders... It not something that i have seen a lot of but it seems to have good reviews from the things i have heard... I know that they use them in drag racing... :confused: So what do you think... good or bad for jeeps-_-

LonnieC

That is the thread that got me looking into them actually... And i just cant make my mind up about them... I understand them in theory and can see how they would be beneficial, but I can also see them be just like it was mentioned earlier as being an area that would create a lot of slop... I also wonder about the amount of side load they could handle before damaging the nylon plates

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I would be more worried about the longevity and strength of them. Race cars are not exactly tweaking them in every which direction and don't see salty roads and muddy trails.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If I remember right, the longevity of the slider bushings was at issue in at least one Pirate thread.

IMO those orbit-eyes or whatever they're called look like a better option for eking out more free-moving leaf spring twist...

choptopbII

That is the thread that got me looking into them actually... And i just cant make my mind up about them... I understand them in theory and can see how they would be beneficial, but I can also see them be just like it was mentioned earlier as being an area that would create a lot of slop... I also wonder about the amount of side load they could handle before damaging the nylon plates

I would imagine that a bearing would last a lot longer and be a lot smoother then the nylon plates...

LonnieC

I would be more worried about the longevity and strength of them. Race cars are not exactly tweaking them in every which direction and don't see salty roads and muddy trails.
Thats what I think... Like in drag racing its pretty well a linear preasure on it the whole time. So with side load it seems like it would bind? Im not to sure I'm sold on this idea. Then you get some of the moab sand in on the tracks and it seems like bad news!

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
... Then you get some of the moab sand in on the tracks and it seems like bad news!

Or mud, or small rocks and stuff... That would make the bearings life very difficult, but I don't see why that would be a real issue with the delrin/plastic sliders. They should be able to just push any crap right out of the way instead of the bearing trying to roll over it.

I like the idea of them, and also like that they would allow you to build a rig lower to the ground than you'd be able to do with a standard swing shackle.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I like the idea of them, and also like that they would allow you to build a rig lower to the ground than you'd be able to do with a standard swing shackle.

That's the good thing about them.. I think some of the folks on Pirate were using big blocks of Delrin instead of little pieces? Might help, not only with spreading the load, but also any wobble you might get with smaller bearings or round bits.

leorn

reset
Plunger Style

That's the biggest benefit that I see in them. We followed a group through Pritchett a couple of years ago. A guy was running a variation that used what I can best describe as a plunger. He claimed it also eliminated axle wrap. Also said he had run them for some time with good results.