Opinions on Quadra-trac

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
Well i just picked up a waggy for the wife. Its what she has always wanted. So my question is since i am not familiar with the quadra-trac system is, well how is it? This wont be a beater jeep or major offroad jeep, mainly daily driver (5 miles) and dirt roads and stuff like AF canyon. If there is no reason to change it then i wont i will let it be but just looking for some different opinions. Also looking for a waggy know it all i cant find crap online about the 73 waggy drivetrain so any info or site would help. thanks

trcooperone

First off, the quadratrac case is not a bad case for mild off-road and street driving, the biggest down fall is that it is a full time 4-wheel drive case. So you are always in 4 hi unless you pull the lever for 4low.

Unfortunately there is no direct swap because of the odd ball 10 spline input on the front of the case.

That leaves you with two options, 1. you can get a part time kit for the quadratrac 2. swap out the tail shaft of the tranny and insert desired tail shaft/t-case combo. I personally had a quadratrac and I found a deal on a th400/D20 combo from a FSJ and just swapped the tranny and t-case.

This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as information that you can read. The best site for FSJ information is ifsja.org, you will find everything that you need to know on there about full size jeeps, as far as parts are concerned bjsoffroad.com is the best and really the only place to find FSJ parts for both off road and restoration.

good luck, FSJ are addicting!

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
First off, the quadratrac case is not a bad case for mild off-road and street driving, the biggest down fall is that it is a full time 4-wheel drive case. So you are always in 4 hi unless you pull the lever for 4low.

Unfortunately there is no direct swap because of the odd ball 10 spline input on the front of the case.

That leaves you with two options, 1. you can get a part time kit for the quadratrac 2. swap out the tail shaft of the tranny and insert desired tail shaft/t-case combo. I personally had a quadratrac and I found a deal on a th400/D20 combo from a FSJ and just swapped the tranny and t-case.

This is just the tip of the iceberg as far as information that you can read. The best site for FSJ information is ifsja.org, you will find everything that you need to know on there about full size jeeps, as far as parts are concerned bjsoffroad.com is the best and really the only place to find FSJ parts for both off road and restoration.

good luck, FSJ are addicting!

awesome thank you, thats kinda what i was looking for. We have the xj thats is set up and the cj7 that is set up but this waggy is totally new to me and the drivetrain is all new. Thanks again for the input

mrclean

INTERNET WHEELER
The Quadratrac is a good case put the part time kit in it and you can run two wheel drive low range. I loved mine when i was runing it. My dad and bro still run them behind 455's, if the chain jumps put a new one in and you'll never have problems. I would not put a dana 20 in anything i own ever again!

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
The Quadratrac is a good case put the part time kit in it and you can run two wheel drive low range. I loved mine when i was runing it. My dad and bro still run them behind 455's, if the chain jumps put a new one in and you'll never have problems. I would not put a dana 20 in anything i own ever again!

How hard is it and expensive is it for the part time kit? As for the D20 I have never had a problem in my cj with it and wheeled hard many times. But 2 low sounds nice for the family ride

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If you swap the output you can run any GM case that will bolt up to a TH400.

Quadratracs are fine until you blow the diff in them, and given the "brake-cone" design, they WILL blow. Someone, I forget who, is selling a pricey replacement that's got to be some kind of welded or locked diff (opening it up blows the warranty, clever), but I wouldn't bother. For the price, I'd seriously just swap the tailshaft out, run an NP241, and never look back. :D The tranny probably needs a rebuild anyway. :D

I miss my FSJ's now. :(

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
It never fails, i just sold the th400 and d300 case i had last summer. I found no use for it just collecting dust in the garage but I might have been able to use it now. Looks like i will be trying a new tranny and case here in the next couple months.

mrclean

INTERNET WHEELER
The part time kit and a new chain will cost you less than a good trans rebuild and if your not running over a 37" tire it will hold up fine for what your going to be doing with it. And if you do break something there are tons of parts for them.

strangeKowboy

Oops i did it again
The part time kit and a new chain will cost you less than a good trans rebuild and if your not running over a 37" tire it will hold up fine for what your going to be doing with it. And if you do break something there are tons of parts for them.

The largest tire it will see is maybe 35's mostly for running around town. As for the tranny rebuild thats not hard either me and my dad just opened a new shop so we have all the toys to fix things :greg: including a paint booth that we plan to rent out for people to paint there own