Opinions on the Pro Comp Mud Terrains?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone have experience with the Pro Comp Mud Terrains? Specifically, this tire-

images.ashx

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/Pr...3&t_s=157&t_pt=100807&t_pl=3358&t_pn=PCT25035

I'm wondering how it will do in the rocks, on a lighter rig. Any opinions on durability, traction, strength, etc?

Greg

Admin
Honestly, dealing with these all the time. They are good tires. Really comparable to the old BFG KM's.

Personally, I would recommend the Procomp Extreme MT, better traction, better ride, better quality, better tread life, better look.

http://www.procomptires.com/truck-jeep-tires/xtreme-mud-terrain-radial.aspx

Good to hear, thanks Bear! I would prefer the Extreme MT far as ProComps go, the thing is that there are 2, new Muds near me for a good price, so I'd like to pick up those 2, then buy 2 more for a set. I just don't want to spend a ton of money on tires. :-\

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I had a set of the old Extreme Mud Terrains or whatever they were, the chevron treaded ones. I absolutely hated them. The only tire worse that I can think of is the Kumho line, which is made of bubble gum... The ProComps I had were made of slippery bubble gum. I went sideways on a damp road in a 250k mi Blazer with about 12hp. Come on.

When they were newer they were ok in mud though, I'll give them that. I know Carl likes his set too...

The MT's you're asking about look about like every other "MT" out there, so I guess if you're getting a deal, run 'em... no way I'd feel good telling you to spend actual money on them though. :D

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've seen those type of mud terrains tear up from the trail on the other side of Pritchett Canyon. I'm not sure if I'd ever run them after that. The poor guy lost two of them in that little stretch from the top of Pritchett to the county road.

Greg

Admin
I've seen those type of mud terrains tear up from the trail on the other side of Pritchett Canyon. I'm not sure if I'd ever run them after that. The poor guy lost two of them in that little stretch from the top of Pritchett to the county road.

:ugh: Really good to know Marc, I think I'll just hang onto my money until I find a better tire. I do want something that will really hold up in the rocks and it sounds like these may not be that tire.

I had a set of the old Extreme Mud Terrains or whatever they were, the chevron treaded ones. I absolutely hated them. The only tire worse that I can think of is the Kumho line, which is made of bubble gum... The ProComps I had were made of slippery bubble gum. I went sideways on a damp road in a 250k mi Blazer with about 12hp. Come on.

When they were newer they were ok in mud though, I'll give them that. I know Carl likes his set too...

The MT's you're asking about look about like every other "MT" out there, so I guess if you're getting a deal, run 'em... no way I'd feel good telling you to spend actual money on them though. :D

Bear already responded to your lunacy... I hate the X-Terrains. :p

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
:ugh: Really good to know Marc, I think I'll just hang onto my money until I find a better tire. I do want something that will really hold up in the rocks and it sounds like these may not be that tire. ......

Both tires lost a sidewall. Not something that could be plugged either. From what I saw, I wouldn't call that durable at all.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I ran a set of Pro Comp MT's for almost a year--I bought them new. NEVER AGAIN! While the tread design was great the sidewall was almost worthless. Aside from my own experience I have also seen several sidewall punctures on the trail. I don't recommend these tires to anyone that does a significant amount of off-roading.

That said I have worn out two sets of X-terrains and I like them more than a lot of people. Supposedly the new Extreme Mud Terrain has a better sidewall than the earlier MT but I don't know for sure....

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I had the earlier version on my 98 expedition and they were toast after only 20k miles... they were too soft a tire for a heavy vehicle. I went thru 4 tires on the front end due to when I turned full lock the sidewall would touch my sway bar and pop a whole in the sidewall.

As far as on the rocks... when I was down in El Paso TX I went up in the hills there and tore half the side lugs off the tire and some of the center lugs off while hitting a few rocks. The by far where the worst tires I have ever had.

I now run the Toyo open country mudders and they work great in all the placed I have taken them. I have seen them on full size trucks and wearing very well.

jdub

Scrambler
I know that this thread has derailed to Xterains but I love that there are others that hate them as much as myself. Super loud, easily cupped, directional, as well as my rubber turned harder throughout the year to where they were scary at speeds and chuncked in the rocks. I seriously gave them away. 33's on rims at 40% tread, I didn't want to look at them for another minute.

hedonist

Supporting Member
not sure about the muds but xbillion on the x's. This happened in the Uintas to a friend...brand new and it was on a 2wd road. 2 tires in one day:rofl:
p.s. both were caused by sticks (little ones)
I think they all have weak sidewalls ;)

Attachments

• DSCF4277.jpg
    DSCF4277.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 13
  • uinyas08-07 217.jpg
    uinyas08-07 217.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 16

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Every set I have ever seen was worn uneven and pretty bad, not to say it's the tires, but it sure wasn't all the vehicles. I would stay away unless they are like 50 bucks

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
not sure about the muds but xbillion on the x's. This happened in the Uintas to a friend...brand new and it was on a 2wd road. 2 tires in one day:rofl:
p.s. both were caused by sticks (little ones)
I think they all have weak sidewalls ;)

I was going to mention Greg's experience but you did a much better job with pics :D

CJenson

I must say that I run them and have not had a problem with them yet. The sidewalls seem to be pretty thin though. Truth be told, I did get an awesome deal on them, 35's for about $115 new.

camicaztoy

my experience seems to be the same. tread works decent in the sand and dirt. not bad in the rocks, pretty good on the road. unfortunatly they have paper thin sidewalls.