Opinions please

embabe

My own epidemic!
Well, after a couple years of subtle hints.... and not so subtle hints... from a few family members, something bright and new showed up in my parents driveway a little over a week ago. :D
1193892001_m.jpg

Now my dad is trying to decide what kind of lift he wants to put on it. (I swear it's just to make me jealous or something:rolleyes:) He wanted me to ask all of you experts out there what you think. He has been looking at RE, Teraflex, and Old Man Emu, but I think he might be open to other suggestions too. He really wants to know what's best, but he is slightly hesitant about altering his brand new toy too much....

So let's hear it, what do you all think?

SICK99TJ

Re

i dont think that you can go wrong with rubicon lifts, long or short arm they are one of the most reliable lifts out on the market. IMHO :D

DevinB

I like traffic lights
[pirate4x4]D60s, custom four link front and rear with coilovers, extend wheelbase to 105", and 40s. And more triangulation! :flipoff2: [/pirate4x4]

In all reality, I don't know enough about TJ lifts to offer any real advice. Sorry.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Rubicon Express seems to produce a pretty quality product. A long arm kit will perform and handle much better.

embabe

My own epidemic!
I also tried to convince him that if he just traded me jeeps he wouldn't have to worry about lifting the rubicon. ;)

As for the RE lift, I agree that they are probably one of the best out there. Does anyone know how they ride? My lucky mother gets to use the rubicon as her daily driver and is used to luxury type SUV's, so we're trying to make sure the lift we use will not make her miserable. Any experience or ideas in that regard?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Yellow, now that's just gay..... ;)

RE's ride as well or better than stock. Mine's the 5.5 LA kit.

I also tried to convince him that if he just traded me jeeps he wouldn't have to worry about lifting the rubicon. ;)

As for the RE lift, I agree that they are probably one of the best out there. Does anyone know how they ride? My lucky mother gets to use the rubicon as her daily driver and is used to luxury type SUV's, so we're trying to make sure the lift we use will not make her miserable. Any experience or ideas in that regard?

Last edited:

MRJ

Just a user
I recomend you contact Mt Logan Offroad ( 435-752-4272) about there Rock-Slide Engineering lift. They have installed a ton of them in the last two years. I am more than happy with it on my personal Jeep. It rides great and is very stable on the road.

embabe

My own epidemic!
Yellow, now that's just gay..... ;)

RE's ride as well or better than stock. Mine's the 5.5 LA kit.

Got any pictures of yours in action? He's now trying to decide what height and I'm trying to make my point as to why he needs a LA. (And do they really take 22 hours to install? :eek: )

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
My LJ is 5.5 in the rear, 5.5+ a one inch spacer up front to compensate for the winch. DON'T go over 4" on a short arm kit! 22 hours??? :rofl: Forget about it! :greg: Mine was 40, but I removed all factory mounts, and smoothed the frame so noboby could tell it was a kit (yep, I'm a perfectionist).

Got any pictures of yours in action? He's now trying to decide what height and I'm trying to make my point as to why he needs a LA. (And do they really take 22 hours to install? :eek: )

Last edited:

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Oh, let me add some installation details so he wont be shocked. He'll need a new rear driveline, but front will work out fine. Also a new cat back exhaust system, which he'll need with any long arm kit. Other than that, no problems. Got mine from some dude on here named Wayne. Best price I've ever seen on em! ;)

I Run 35's now but may run 37's in the future. It'll be a gutless dog with his 4.10's, so plan on a gear swap on top of that. 4.88's will wake that sleeping dog up too! :D

My LJ is 5.5 in the rear, 5.5+ a one inch spacer up front to compensate for the winch. DON'T go over 4" on a short arm kit! 22 hours??? :rofl: Forget about it! :greg: Mine was 40, but I removed all factory mounts, and smoothed the frame so noboby could tell it was a kit (yep, I'm a perfectionist).

embabe

My own epidemic!
Ok, now does anyone know if you need to worry about the driveline on a 4.5" short arm lift for the unlimited? I know with my TJ we had to fix it, but I don't know if the added length changes that.

embabe

My own epidemic!
Ok.... how about all you Rubicon owners, have you had to do anything to your driveline? Also, my dad is under the impression that there is already a SYE? Not sure where he got that, but someone has to know for sure.... right?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Ok.... how about all you Rubicon owners, have you had to do anything to your driveline? Also, my dad is under the impression that there is already a SYE? Not sure where he got that, but someone has to know for sure.... right?

They do have a fixed yoke.....with some weird balancer on them, but it is fixed.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
A true long arm kit will take some serious time to install. Some of these short/long arm lifts are pretty easy to do in a few hours. You definately want a true long arm lift, if you are going long arm. Don't get one with short uppers, like the Tera kit, you will regret it BIG time - so will your pocket book! I did one for a guy that thought it would be a cake walk. Since it was on his rig, he wanted to help - it still took 3 evenings to complete! ...and I've done tons of them. The hardest part is drilling all of the dang 1" holes through the frame!!!! The rest is fairly easy...

Rubicon's dont' have a SY to eleminate.

Unlimited Rubicon with 5.5" lift, might need a CV style driveline, but it might not. The Unlimited's already have such a long driveline as it is and most don't have vibrations after installing them. My suggestion would be to install the kit, and see. Obviously with the stock driveilne, the pinion will be lower than if you had a CV driveline (hang up on rocks easier). If cost is not an issue, do a CV driveline at the same time. If it is, then wait.

A RELA 5.5" lift will rub with 37's - big time! Lot's of trimming is required (or larger bump stops). Funny thing, 4.5" lift will rub a little bit with 35's, but the 5.5" rubs a lot with 37's - been there, done both.

If this is going to be a daily driver for your mom, then I would actually recommend a tamer lift, like a 3.5" super flex - maybe 4.5". The 5.5" long arm will definately ride better, but it will be very tall and difficult to get in and out of. I'm 5-11 and I have to kind of 'jump' to get in and out of my Rubicon with 35's - and I have heavy bumpers, large winch, full cage, etc and my lift has settled in and I still have a difficult time. The 3.5" and 4.5" lifts will not need driveline mods.