Optima Red Top Problem

92XJeeper

Just today I discovered my Optima Red Top battery was leaking fluid from the two vents. It also appears the top of the battery surrounding both posts is raised up slightly, like the case expanded upward. Has anyone here experienced this problem with these batteries?

Fortunately, mine is still under the 3-year replacement warranty, but the shop where I bought it tells me there's a 15-30 day national backlog from Johnson Controls. Does anyone in the Ogden/Layton area know where I can get one now at a decent price? Thanks

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Just today I discovered my Optima Red Top battery was leaking fluid from the two vents. It also appears the top of the battery surrounding both posts is raised up slightly, like the case expanded upward. Has anyone here experienced this problem with these batteries?

Fortunately, mine is still under the 3-year replacement warranty, but the shop where I bought it tells me there's a 15-30 day national backlog from Johnson Controls. Does anyone in the Ogden/Layton area know where I can get one now at a decent price? Thanks

Sounds like it may be getting overcharged.

notajeep

Just me
I had a problem with my red top. It blew off the 2 little grey filter thingeys off the vents and started smelling like sulpher. I just took it to parts plus here in Moab and they just swapped it for me straight across.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
ive never had a problem with my redtop, but I have had batteries swell like that and smell like sulpher, they swell when they are bad, and have been running a while, sometimes they will let off vapor.. they are dangerous in this state and can explode. get rid of it.

92XJeeper

C & H in Layton but for $128 u can get an orbital through them, which are just as good if not better
I looked for info comparing these two batteries and it seems people are split on which one is better. The Optima's warranty is better and has a higher CCA value. What is it about the Orbital that might make it better than the Optima?

BTW, my first Red Top lasted a long time and went through a few complete drains in the process.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
i work at Checker i S.Ogden and i have seen alot of optimas that were only a few months old go bad and i have only seen one orbital come back that could just be random but thats how i see it

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Okay, I got a swinging deal on a Red Top at Clearfield Auto Parts. Carl, the alternator checked good.

What Voltage is the alternator putting out? It may be charging just fine but I really think your voltage regulator is putting out too much voltage, That is really the only reason the optima would be outgassing.

92XJeeper

What Voltage is the alternator putting out? It may be charging just fine but I really think your voltage regulator is putting out too much voltage, That is really the only reason the optima would be outgassing.
Honestly, I don't know. They said the voltage and amperage outputs were fine according to the diagnostic machine.