Options for Rebuilding a 700R4

Navigator

Anybody know of a good (inexpensive) place to have one of these units rebuilt by somebody that knows what they are doing? Preferably in Utah County

Or, is this something I should not be worried about doing on my own? Any specialty tools, kits, upgrades, etc. that I should consider?

I am a true believer in the manual trans and its simplicity so I try not to get too deep into the voodoo of the slush box.

Agility Customs

Vendor
Anybody know of a good (inexpensive) place to have one of these units rebuilt by somebody that knows what they are doing? Preferably in Utah County

Or, is this something I should not be worried about doing on my own? Any specialty tools, kits, upgrades, etc. that I should consider?

I am a true believer in the manual trans and its simplicity so I try not to get too deep into the voodoo of the slush box.

I would say most competent mechanics can rebuild an old school automatic transmission and the 700r4 is no different.

I have built a few with good results for my personal rigs. I do not have enough faith in my transmission building skills to build one for somebody else however.

I know Intermountain Transmission will build that trans for $1000 bucks. I have had them do many for customers here at the shop and have always had good luck. They can also dyno a trans to make sure it works before it leaves there place. Which is a nice piece of mind.

lhracing

If you want to take it up to Centerville, the area's best 700R4 rebuilder is up there. He can do any level of build you want from stock to performance. He did a performance build on a 700R4 for me that went into a 600+ hp 4200 lb El Camino, we had a 5400 rpm stall converter and ran the car on slicks at RMR, it held up well. Let me know if you want his contact info.

Navigator

This is a project my son (14 1/2) is working on that he wants to have done by the time he gets his license. I am trying to let him take it as far as he wants on his own (time, money, build decisions, etc.), just lending tools and help when requested but he doesn't think he is ready to dive into an auto on his own yet. And as mentioned its not my preference either.

This came out of/ going into an '85 Chevy square body, he plans to run a mostly stock 5.3 but keep the 700R4 and 208 (already rebuilt) that were in the truck.