OrangeSkidPlates 98 Cherokee Build

OrangeSkidPlate

Well I've decided that I want to start a build tread. I definitely don't have the biggest or baddest rig but I have done all the work myself, minus the adjustable ball joints and gears. I am always learning how to do things, whether it be the wrong or right way. So here we go.
I started with a 89 K5 Blazer and loved it. It would go through any mud pit I pointed it towards. As soon as I graduated high school I wanted to pick something up that was a little bit better on gas. So I started looking around and heard a lot of good things about Cherokees. Since I was on a limited budget and thought I could fix anything I picked up a Cherokee off my buddy. I realize now that this was a terrible decision. The kid had blown the tranny, spray painted it black and had screwed with a bunch of other things. But for 700 dollars for a Jeep with no rust (two years later I found a lot of bondo and rust) and 116000 miles was a good deal.

I know, I am cool.
So I threw a new tranny in and it drove like a champ. Basically kept it the way it was when I bought it for a year. Then I wanted some bigger tires, so I got some 33/12.5 MT/Rs, trimmed my fenders and put on an OME light duty leaf pack. Thinking I had a super badass rig, I went to Moab for the first time. I did the first part of Hells Revenge, Porcupine rim and Fins and Things. The mechanical fan clutch ended up going out so I couldn't keep the Jeep cool crawling around.

As soon as I hit one ledge on Porcupine Rim, I knew that I needed to invest more money into the heep. My LSD wasn't helping as much as I thought it would and I couldn't flex worth anything. Somehow got up the ledge.
Once I moved up to Logan for school I met my good buddy who has a Grand Cherokee affectionately named the Green Wienie. Anyways, he opened my eyes to lockers. So I picked up a Lock-Right for my Dana 30 and went to EJS 2013. Jeep was still not as bad as I thought it was.
Seth from trail ridge

The most badass Willy's ever

Ended up doing Rusty Nail (chickened out on the main obstacle) and Hell Roaring Rim.

Pinched tranny line

College kids being idiots

The bolts on my knuckle apparently fell out and pushed my brake caliper into my wheel. Found out the holes were striped out.

Made it back home in one piece after that trip. Decided to buy a parts Jeep from a different buddy, kid was also a complete idiot and seized the motor.

Ended up swapping the 8.25 out of the parts Jeep into mine, as well a hitch receiver and a few other random parts. Traded a lot of parts for better parts for my rig. Ended up with a 3 row Dirtbound fan kit, Rock Krawler 3 link, skid plate, Rubicon Express track bar, rock lights, and a few other things.
Went to Moab that summer with a buddy from school. Needless to say the Jeep still isn't a monster.
Ran the beginning of Hells Revenge, Poison Spider, all of Fins and Things and Porcupine Rim.

So after that Moab trip I realized that I needed to run wheel spacers so I could turn, needed to bumpstop and definitely needed to regear.
Last fall I decided to spend more money. So I picked up a 8.25 with 4.56's and took my Dana 30 to Seth to get regeared. First trip out on the new gears my upper control arm decides it doesn't want to play nice and comes off the unibody. I left it up on the trail and went back into town and picked up a generator and welder and welded it back on.

Late night recovery of my buddy who rolled in Providence canyon.

Picked up some Fox shocks for the front and some steelies. Much better than the ugly chrome wheels. Made a front bumper.

OrangeSkidPlate

Did some snow wheeling.

Picked up a tire carrier bumper off the local classifieds.

Fought cooling issues for months, replaced all of the cooling components. Pretty sure it was my dirtbound fans. Went to EJS 2014.
Did Steel Bender, Fins and Things, and Top of the World.

Had a great time and felt like I was actually learning how to wheel smart. Didn't break a single thing, so that was nice. My buddy twisted his rear driveshaft on potato salad so that was a whole ordeal to get that vehicle home. I won a Mile Marker winch at the raffle so that was awesome.

Wheeled around before summer and tried not to break everything. Still ran hot.

OrangeSkidPlate

Had to put an add a leaf in the rear so it would sit relatively level until I am able to rebuild the rear.

Bought a Dirtbound winch bumper kit and welded it together.

Ran Forest Lake twice

POSER PICTURES FOR DAYS

Went to change my oil one day and found a ton of metal shavings in the oil. So new motor time.

Ran Rattlesnake with some buddies to test out the new motor. Went back to stock cooling and never got over 210. I thought I broke something in the front diff on Wayne's World, I guess the Lock-Right unbond under heavy throttle and just made a loud noise because everything looked good.

And that is about it for now. I want to upgrade to 35's for a few months before I can go to tons and something bigger. Hopefully that will happen in the near future.

Last edited:

Seven

Nice Cherokee. I miss mine sometimes. is the plan to let the black paint wash off over time? as it progresses it seems to have the green show up more.

OrangeSkidPlate

I don't really have an immediate plan, I have been tossing around the idea of painting it, but I'd rather put the money towards tons and a cage. I will paint it when I am finished with the costly stuff. But it is nice to not worry about scratching the paint.

Bart

Watching your build progression brings back a lot of memories. You're on the right track and keep the fun wheeling trips coming. Thanks for sharing.

OrangeSkidPlate

Progress! I picked up a set of old style MT/Rs with 3/4 tread in a 35" flavor. I'll post some pictures after work. Also, anyone interested in 33" new style MT/Rs?

OrangeSkidPlate

This screen shot explains perfectly why I picked up a set of bigger tires.
Sold my tires for 550 and picked up the 35's for 550, so only paid for mount and balance. I really like them so far, they didn't balance very well, but I expected that from 14 year old MTRs. And for them being 14 years old, they are in incredible shape! No cracking or sun damage, no chunks missing or anything.

Ended up cutting a ton off my fenders, I am going to cut the Bushwackers up so they fit the newly cut fender better. I think it looks pretty decent, now I just need to bumpstop a little more and the heep should be ready for some crawling.

Definitely not going for beauty points.

OrangeSkidPlate

So when I trimmed my front fenders, I realized that my washer fluid bottle hangs below the metal fender. I need to relocate it, but the reservoir is way too long to fit under the hood, the abs box is in the way. Anyone have any suggestions on how to mount it or a replacement bottle that could work? Also anyone know any cheap methods to make new shock mounts for the rear axle? I want to put my shocks up on the axle tube so I can get more out of my shorter shocks.

Troop92

So when I trimmed my front fenders, I realized that my washer fluid bottle hangs below the metal fender. I need to relocate it, but the reservoir is way too long to fit under the hood, the abs box is in the way. Anyone have any suggestions on how to mount it or a replacement bottle that could work?

Just measure out what you need dimensionally, pay the $1 entrance fee to a Tear-a-Part or Pull-N-Save, and find something in the yard. It isn't like the bottle has the pump in it or anything, you're just looking for a shape that works. You might lose a little capacity, but what does that matter?.

OrangeSkidPlate

So 91-96 bottles should be a direct hook up? If I remember correctly there were two hose hook ups and two plug hook ups, so do I need to modify a bottle or am I just going to now get the low washer fluid indicator anymore? That definitely isn't a huge concern. Another update, picking up a Spartan locker off a buddies rig for the 8.25. Should hold me over for a few months. Anyone want to do a trail the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving?