Orem cops are retards.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
So here is a story for you guys.

Just north of Provo in the Orem area of utah I was hauling ass in the fast lane of a three lane interstate. I came up on a silver passat who was absolutely creeping along in the fast lane. I hung out behind him for a while until he tapped his brakes at me then I decided to go around him. There was traffic in the middle lane so I slowed down and cut across the lanes, around the traffic, and back in the fast lane. Lo and behold, here comes that tard in the passat following me. He cut across traffic and in behing me in the fast lane. I ignored him until he pulled into the middle lane beside me. He was some idiot white gang banger from colorado with a couple chins...I laughed at his attempt to intimidate me with his threatening gestures...I laughed and pulled away. He pulled along side me again and to my great surprise, HE FRICKING SWERVED AT ME!!! I know he barely missed me but I could not ignore that. I grabbed the phone and called 911. He saw I was calling 911 and proceeded to exit the highway onto university. I followed him at a distance so I could call in the cops on his location. He pulled into the phil-66 gas station pump and I pulled into the back of the parking lot behind him. I was distracted by guiding in the police meanwhile the fathead was out of his car coming towards me. He couldn't see me obviously as I was turned the other way and leaned back in my seat behind my VERY tinted glass in my jeep. I turned to see him approaching me and I decided to make things interesting...I was talking to the dispatcher and telling her that he was coming towards my car making threatening gestures...which he was. I rolled down the window and told him to leave me alone and go back to his car a couple of times. He wanted to see what was up me and why we couldn't "Just Settle this like men" so I told him in a scared voice to leave me alone and go back to his car, meanwhile giving him the "I will ****ing kill you if you take one more step" look. I spoke death with the look on my face I was so damned pissed off. He then got back in his car and tried to run away. I followed him about 2 miles down the road where he tried to make a left hand turn on main street when an Orem cop lit him up and pulled him over. I pulled in 30' behind him and this is where things get confusing. I wanted them to take care of the situation and let me leave. They wanted to yell at me for putting myself in harm's way by following the guy and trying to get a maniac off the road. They yelled at ME....ME. I was the one that did wrong for following the guy and trying to get the maniac off the road and they, to my knowledge let him go. They finally sent me on my way so I don't know if they ticketed the bastard or not but we shall see ,I gave a written statement and signed it. I get the feeling that they did not ticket him but rather slapped him on the wrist and sent another psycho back out on the road for HELL SAKE!!!

I have personally turned in 3 DUI drivers that I saw while driving. Two I followed until they were aprehended and 1 I lost track of but the officers had the plate number and description of the driver.

1 I followed on my motorcycle and he got hauled away, he never even tried to throw out his beer, he had half a case in the front seat... and an open tall boy in his lap. The other was throwing beer bottles out of the window in downtown Ogden...and both times the officers congratulated me on helping get BAD people off the road.

So I learned a valuable lesson yesterday, don't try to help cops, they don't want your help EVER. Just let bad people do bad things right in front of you and don't report it ever. They told me that I should have just called the police and went home. I should not have tried to follow him, I should not have tried to do anything other than call the police and ignore a maniac threatening me with his car. I guess Road-Rage is no longer a crime in Orem Utah.

I know there are a few LEOs on the board, I am telling it straight as it happened, no bullsh!t. What should have happened? Do you agree with the happenings or do you disagree with what happened.

Last edited:

utahxjer

I've been called to the same thing a few times, a few where the reporting party followed and a few where the reporting party didn't follow. They were telling you not to follow him cause it could have turned uglier, alot uglier no matter how pissed you were, he could have had a gun/knife/etc. There are always two sides to the story, obviously he told Orem DPS a different one. There could still be charges filed if/when they refer it to the city prosecutor. I understand this guy had Col. plates, but usually you can just give dispatch their plate #, and a few officers will go talk to them.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Tough call... though I can certainly understand your frustration. You're in kind of a grey area following the guy, but then, he could have killed you on the highway. Personally, I'd have done the same thing, but when he got to the car I'd have probably held him there at gunpoint. Attempted vehicular homicide is covered under deadly force statutes I THINK. Forcible felony?

I'm interested in LEO response to this one.

utahxjer

Tacoma said:
Tough call... though I can certainly understand your frustration. You're in kind of a grey area following the guy, but then, he could have killed you on the highway. Personally, I'd have done the same thing, but when he got to the car I'd have probably held him there at gunpoint. Attempted vehicular homicide is covered under deadly force statutes I THINK. Forcible felony?

I'm interested in LEO response to this one.
uhh, don't pull a gun on someone approaching your car.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I should rephrase that. "depending on how things went". Guy already tried to crash into me, I'd be at least ready.

Actually now that I'm thinking about this I don't think I'd get close enough for him to walk over. Watch from across the street or something. Too much liablity/exposure that close. You're right.

Bone Down

UHP takes it seriously and the last time I called one in the Trooper told me that the *511 (i think that is the number) that you use to report or request road assistance takes you to the UHP dispatch.

Give the discription of the car, the driver, and the plate number.
The will ask you what direction you are headed in what is the next exit that you are approaching etc., etc.

I watched this guy throw things at this totally scared lady for about 3 miles, he would jump in front of her hit his brakes, swerve at her, follow her towards exits, poor lady was in tears and most likely terrified.

I had the luxury of just hanging back he was so occuppied with his terrifing the lady that he had no idea that I was giving dispatch the entire story via phone the entire time he was doing it.

Once he had visual of the trooper he moved over to the slow lane and drove like normal, but when the trooper lit him up he was pissed.

I also gave them my info and said I would give a statement if needed, and gave them the plate number of the victim in the situation.

I wish ppl would take a deep breath and realize it was just a lane change you know, we are all trying to get some where if you are late "You are late rather it is 1 minute or 30" 20 mph over is only going to save you about 2 minutes off of the average commute, it is just not worth the risk to yourself or others.

This road rage crap is out of control, no one cares about others it is all Me Me Me Me, boils down to this little thing that is slowly fading away out of today's society "R E S P E C T", for others, and for ones self.

Chiksic

Resident Stoner
I've had really good experiences with Orem cops. Provo cops, on the other hand..... *shakes fist* But, I can understand both sides to this story. They wanted you to report him, but following could've ended up in a bigger mess. *shrug* Tough call. Personally I think you did the right thing.

DrMoab

utahxjer said:
uhh, don't pull a gun on someone approaching your car.
From what I have been told you have the right to defend yourself to the death if nessesary in your "living habitat" this can include a tent,moterhome,house or car but first they must ENTER your habitat! That means if someone is approaching you you can not take that kind of action.

Now...if someone is aproaching your car with a gun pointed at you...By all means...open up on him...as long as its safe to do so haha.

muleskinner

911 is for emergency's like- accidents, medical etc. not tailgating. You’re a big guy Spence, why didn't you just kick his ass? I'd would have dropped him. I got into a similar situation the other day but the "tough" little banger wouldn't pull over until he caught up to his homey's for backup. (4 of them in another car) I tried to get him to pull over and "discuss" it but he wouldn't do it by himself. I only had one clip with me so I avoided the other carload of bangers.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
tough

IMO i think you did the right thing. but as stated you may have been close(at the gas station). i also wouldve left once they pulled him over. i dont like to stick around with those type of people for to long.(the driver or the cop) they both can lead to trouble. you shouldnt have kicked his a$$ but done a citizens arrest if any thing physical. he atempted vehicular manslauder. with is a felony if i remember correctly. either way i dont think there is anything wrong with protecting yourself or others from the freaks out there...... exuse the spelling. im not to litterat on paper.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
DrMoab said:
From what I have been told you have the right to defend yourself to the death if nessesary in your "living habitat" this can include a tent,moterhome,house or car but first they must ENTER your habitat! That means if someone is approaching you you can not take that kind of action.

Now...if someone is aproaching your car with a gun pointed at you...By all means...open up on him...as long as its safe to do so haha.

In Utah you have the right to defend yourself/others no matter where you are as along as you are in fear of serious bodily harm or death. It's a very gray area as to when that might be. It's the feeling of a lot of people that the deciding factor as to when to use deadly force is if you can prove to a jury that you were in fear of those things. If someone is walking toward your car, you have other options than just pulling your gun. Drive away? If you're walking and someone taunts you... walk away? Run? It might hurt your pride to run, sure. But turn and draw your gun? What if you end up shooting? Even if you were in the right, you were in fear of losing your life, and you are proven innocent, how much money did you lose defending yourself in court? What about civil cases? The family of the deceased will want a piece of you too. I'm not anti-gun or anything (quite the opposite, I'm carrying a G26 on my right hip as I type this -_- ) I just think using a gun is the very last line of defense. As they say, better tried by twelve than carried by six. 99.9% of the time there are other options. [/off soap box]
Devin

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
DevinB said:
In Utah you have the right to defend yourself/others no matter where you are as along as you are in fear of serious bodily harm or death. It's a very gray area as to when that might be. It's the feeling of a lot of people that the deciding factor as to when to use deadly force is if you can prove to a jury that you were in fear of those things. If someone is walking toward your car, you have other options than just pulling your gun. Drive away? If you're walking and someone taunts you... walk away? Run? It might hurt your pride to run, sure. But turn and draw your gun? What if you end up shooting? Even if you were in the right, you were in fear of losing your life, and you are proven innocent, how much money did you lose defending yourself in court? What about civil cases? The family of the deceased will want a piece of you too. I'm not anti-gun or anything (quite the opposite, I'm carrying a G26 on my right hip as I type this -_- ) I just think using a gun is the very last line of defense. As they say, better tried by twelve than carried by six. 99.9% of the time there are other options. [/off soap box]
Devin

Well said. If I were in the situation, I would really, really want to pull my gun... but in the long run driving away is the better option and will save you a lot of headache. Chances are the guy has existing problems and if the authorities are smart enough act on the situation it will probably be taken care of.

If there is an exit scenario, use it. Doesn't make you a "pansy". In fact, I think using your gun as an exit makes you more of a "pansy" if there are other options. But if you are cornered, in your house, or somewhere without an immediate exit option... I say Fire at will. It's your life, don't let anybody take any aspect of that away from you.

What drives me nuts is the logic some people have about not allowing firearms in certain places like schools, churches, etc... I trust somebody with a concealed weapons permit and training more than I do any other stranger. If somebody WANTS to bring a gun into a building to cause problems or kill.... a stupid law isn't going to change their mind. And when they do, nobody else is going to be armed to protect themselves and/or others. What kind of logic is that? yeah... Let's disarm our good civilians so that when a criminal comes into the factor we are defensless... :rolleyes: Idiots.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Let me get this right...

Your tailgating a guy...
Pass him on the right... (illegal move)
Your probably speeding... (I hardly doubt he was doing UNDER 65 mph in the fast lane)
Your in Utah County...

And then you call the cops becasue he wants to handle it

:rofl:

Fester

In my concealed carry class the instructor (a police officer) said that you should only reveal your gun to shoot, and shoot to kill. I'm guessing there would almost always be another option unless someone is coming at you with a weapon. Also..... if the guy was a lil' gang banger it probably would have been pretty easy to just beat his a$$....he probably had his pants around his knees and would have been too busy keeping them up to defend himself. Would have been fun to teach him that lesson, but probably not worth the jail time.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
cruiseroutfit said:
Let me get this right...
...Pass him on the right... (illegal move)...

Not at all illegal. Went to traffic school with my wife a couple weeks ago, the cop/instructor said there is absolutely no problem whatsoever passing people on the right. The only problems that might arise are a) you're probably speeding when you pass, and b) weaving, ie changing lanes faster than three seconds per lane. Just an fyi.
Devin

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
DevinB said:
Not at all illegal. Went to traffic school with my wife a couple weeks ago, the cop/instructor said there is absolutely no problem whatsoever passing people on the right. The only problems that might arise are a) you're probably speeding when you pass, and b) weaving, ie changing lanes faster than three seconds per lane. Just an fyi.
Devin

Your right, I learn something new everyday, but it is important to note:

Depends on the location, and on a freeway (more than 2 lanes) you are correct, here is the law pertaining to it.:

41-6a-704. Overtaking and passing vehicles proceeding in same direction.
(1) On any highway:
(a) the operator of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction:
(i) shall, except as provided under Section 41-6a-705, pass the overtaken vehicle on the left at a safe distance; and
(ii) may not drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle;
(b) the operator of an overtaken vehicle:
(i) shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle; and
(ii) may not increase the speed of the vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

41-6a-705. Passing upon right -- When permissible.
(1) The operator of a vehicle may overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle only:
(a) when the vehicle overtaken is making or preparing to make a left turn; or
(b) on a roadway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles moving lawfully in the direction being traveled by the overtaking vehicle.
(2) The operator of a vehicle may overtake and pass another vehicle on the right only under conditions permitting the movement with safety.
(3) The operator of a vehicle may not overtake and pass another vehicle if the movement is made by driving off the roadway.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
cruiseroutfit said:
Let me get this right...

Your tailgating a guy...
Pass him on the right... (illegal move)
Your probably speeding... (I hardly doubt he was doing UNDER 65 mph in the fast lane)
Your in Utah County...

And then you call the cops becasue he wants to handle it

You have reading comprehension issues...

I was not tailgating him.
I passed him on the right two lanes away
I was speeding...for some reason people still think this is a serious crime..??
Utah county stinks, no ifs ands or buts about it, it is a lousy place, I hate it and I always have.

I wanted the cops to handle a psycho threatening me with vehicular manslaughter, everything else pales in comparison to that. Road Rage is serious, doing 10 over is not!