Organized homeless panhandlers

Cascadia

Undecided
There is a guy down in Orem that hangs out by Costco. My wife and I walked there once and we heard him talking on his cell phone to someone saying he was leaving work soon and would be to his daughters soccer game on time. Weird.

smartass_kid

Have you seen the juggling dude? He's pretty good.

wife and I call him Mr. Bojangles, he is awesome.
i was on the jordan river parkway once and saw him wander out of a field. think he lives there.

i saw the "single mom" from 1300S & 300 W once at a gas station, had a kid in a stroller and a scruffy dude with her.
might be true?

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
i see panhandlers at the I-80 state street exit and the wvc walmart every single day. they irritate me at times but i don't know their situation so i just choose not to give them any $. i was really bummed out when i saw one in jordan landing. they'll be hanging out at the district before we know it

rondo

rondo
My wife works in a Dr office and here is this sick 3 year old. She tickled his belly and asked if this was an ice cream belly. Mom said he'd never had ice cream. The mom and dad both work full time jobs and still barely get by. They said a lot of their $ goes to rent.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
No one knows what you or I have been through or done but it sure helps to know what a person has been through to understand one another. Thanks for the input Joseph.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
In my limited experience, poor people make poor decisions. There are always exceptions but the majority follow the rule. Take someone who made a lot of money and strip them of it. They will most likely make it back. Give the lottery to a poor person and they are most often broke in 10 to 15 years if not sooner. My entire family has made it to what I consider a very successful place in this country with just working normal jobs and being smart with money. We live in an awesome place and time. It isn't very hard to have a roof, food and clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I've seen the juggler; pretty good. My favorite was the guy whose sign read, "I bet you can't hit me with a quarter". Brilliant strategy, cause we always took him up on the challenge.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
My wife works in a Dr office and here is this sick 3 year old. She tickled his belly and asked if this was an ice cream belly. Mom said he'd never had ice cream. The mom and dad both work full time jobs and still barely get by. They said a lot of their $ goes to rent.

Get better full time jobs, get a place with cheaper rent, get 2nd jobs, sell the plasma screen and cancel HBO. The President can't save them.

Last edited:

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Get better full time jobs, get a place with cheaper rent, get 2nd jobs, sell the plasma screen and cancel HBO. The President can't save them.

Amen. I see this day to day as my wife's sister lives in this type of scenario, yet can't seem to find her way out of it. She works, though not THAT hard (has a great job btw), the kids dad is a leach and hardly works - brings nothing to the table; they smoke, drink, have Netflix, cable, Internet, flat screen tv, new computer, yet their kids don't eat because they can't afford it. They can no longer pay my wife to nanny their kids (we buy them food), they can't afford new clothes for school, or health insurance despite the kids medical needs.. They are the epitome of pathetic. He is a loser, 35y/o and just got his drivers license a few weeks ago. They drive the car that's in Jacey's dad's name without insurance..

Just writing this has my blood boiling. The other night one of the kids called the father's mom and cried over the phone that they were hungry and there's no food to eat; so she ordered pizzas to be delivered to their house.. Some people just simply refuse to pick themselves up out of the shithole life they lead, no matter how bad it gets.. Their apartment has mold, man-eating spiders, and the front door is held shut with a towel.. No lock, just a towel. The kids dad would be too lazy to even stand on a corner and ask for handouts.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Joseph, thanks for sharing, and thank you for refusing to let your past dictate your future. My dad grew up in poverty and foster care, but he discovered running at a young age and grew up to become an Olympic-class runner and refused to let our family go through any of the things he had to endure. He was not "book" smart and did not go to college, but is a hard worker who started a tree and lawn care business that was fairly successful for many years, I was one of the few kids I knew who was making $10-12 an hour as a young teen back in the early 90's working for my dad. My mom is a teacher, she teaches adult education and has changed thousands of lives that will perpetually change many others. Although my parents' combined income has likely never exceeded $60-70k a year, they own their home and the 11 acres it sits on. And on occasion they have helped my dad's siblings through financial trials with little expectation of ever being repaid, but he is the oldest of his siblings and feels responsible for them. I have no idea why I am sharing this, but I am so thankful that my dad made the choices he has and touched so many lives for good, and that none of their children will ever have to rely on welfare because they have taught us valuable skills and instilled in us a sense of pride that we will work to keep that burden off those who do.

Time for bed....