Other vehicles mechancic

XJess98

My schedule is such that I'm struggling to find time for some of the routine maintenance for my everyday vehicles, Honda Accord and Chevy Tahoe. For example, a transmission flush or radiator flush etc. Any recommendations on a shop that you 1- trust to do some of your maintenance and 2-doesn't charge dealership prices? Davis or Salt Lake County would be preferred. Thanks

airmanwilliams

Lee Whitaker up at Family Auto in Bountiful is who I take all of my vehicles to if I can swing it. Honest, affordable, and the GURU(no joke) on every make. This guy knows his cars and can figure anything out.

2048 Orchard Dr, Bountiful, UT 84010
(801) 292-1684

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
He is at the Flint St location. He owns both, but they only do limited stuff at Main street. I have known Shane for about 10 years now, and I take all my stuff to him I won't do myself (which is everything on my minivan...).

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
You may want to reconsider the tranny flush, they tend to do more harm than good. Are you in Davis County?

This statement is SOOOOOO 1985... I know what you mean, some say that leaving old fluid which has lots of the friction material in it, will keep the trans alive. It seriously depends on the brand and model of transmission and how many miles since new or last flush. If your trans craps out after a modern flush, then it was on borrowed time anyway. But my way of thinking is the filter should be pulling that crap out of the fluid anyway, as well as the magnet should grab metal before it gets to the filter.

Modern tranmissions use a much slipperier fluid than good old ATF. Use the wrong fluid and you just trashed your transmission. NEVER let someone tell you that you can use ATF with a friction modifier...

In my case, I'm the third or 4th owner of my 95 ZJ and I do not know if it was ever flushed. All I've done in the 8 years I've had it is annual filter changes and top the fluid. The pan has never had much trash on the magnet and I have yet to do it this year at 214,000. I've owned it for 75,000 of those miles and towed a little with it, some heavy. Full tow package though. But I have replaced the rear seal in the trans twice.

We recently did the flush and filter change on my daughter's Patriot with the CVT. It showed a trans overheat light earlier this summer. You MUST have a specific dipstick with calibration marks on it. AND, you MUST know the fluid temperature to get the level correct. The thing doesn't come with its own dipstick. Really. Luckily, the Patriot can tell my OBD app on my Android fluid temps. So, we found she was a full quart low. Which means its been that way since she bought it. CVT fluid is very specific and was nearly 6 bucks a quart. She needed 7.5 for a filter change. After reading CVT related stuff, we determined that Valvoline makes a Chrysler compliant CVT fluid. Chrysler's is over $8/qt. ANd for the record, my daughter did it herself, with me watching. Sniff, it does a dad proud!!!!

Last edited: