Our scare for the week

We were coming home from Grand Junction last night about 11:00 and I was driving down Red Mountain Pass into Silverton when a motorcycle came up behind me. We had the trailer on and I was in 1st gear to avoid using my brakes and needless to say, I was creeping my way down. The motorcycle followed me for quite a bit until the hill before the last U-turn where the road straightens out about 9 miles about Silverton. He passed us and I didn't think a thing about it until about 3 minutes later when I came around a corner and saw a light from the ditch on the other side of the road shining onto the mountain side. It only took about half a second for Chris and I to realize what it was. Red Mountain has no guard rails, is a 2 lane road the majority of the way with absolutely no lights anywhere. :-\ Chris hopped out as I was getting the truck off the highway and all I could see was a motorcycle on it's side next to the culvert. I rolled down the window really afraid of what I would see when Chris yelled that he was still alive and to call 911. Thankfully Verizon put a cell tower in Silverton 2 years ago and I was able to get a call out. The guy was traveling from Junction and a deer ran out in front of him. He was wearing his helmet and wasn't going very fast when he clipped the deer. Chris was able to talk to him and keep him coherent until the ambulances came. I was quite freaked out and still am a bit, but it seemed like he was going to be okay. Most likely a broken arm and hand and some broken ribs, but he's still alive.

I wish more people understood about animals in the mountains. Archery season started last week and once that begins, all the deer and elk get spooked and start moving around more than normal.

Slangy

Sgt. CulPepper
I know that feeling, one day me and a buddy were coming home from fishing and werew coming down South Fork coming into Huntsville and a car was pulled to the side of the road and they looked paniced. We got out to find a lady in a tree and her bullet bike down the hill. When we got her out she had passed on. Horrible stuff.

I bet he is glad you pulled up or else the story may have ended a little bit worse. He will probably never forget that you helped him out in such a great way. You guys Rock.

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
Deer come out of nowhere, there is nothing you can do about it even if your going the speed limit or below. IMO

Deer come out of nowhere, there is nothing you can do about it even if your going the speed limit or below. IMO

That's absolutely true, but Red Mountain Pass at 11:00 at night on a motorcycle....to me that's a no-brainer. But after having hit both an elk and a deer in my years of driving; maybe I'm just paranoid. *shrug*

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Wow, that's too bad :-\ He is one lucky guy, that his headlight stayed on and you guys were driving by

Bart

Wow, you guys are awesome. Good wake up call for those of us riding bikes. I try not to be on mountain roads when the sun is going down or dark, but sometimes you just can't help it. Glad he was wearing his helmet. Chris is THE MAN!.

What really shocked me was when the deputy thanked us for stopping and staying with him until help arrived because that's unusual. I didn't even view leaving as an option, but according to him it's quite common for people to just keep driving because "they don't want to get involved". How messed up is that?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
What really shocked me was when the deputy thanked us for stopping and staying with him until help arrived because that's unusual. I didn't even view leaving as an option, but according to him it's quite common for people to just keep driving because "they don't want to get involved". How messed up is that?

I don't understand how people could just leave, doesn't make sense in my mind.

I am going to be getting my MC license and my first bike here very soon and it's at least a little comforting to know that people pay attention. Thanks for hooking this guy up and for the reminder that deer are everywhere. I actually almost hit five deer the other day on my way out to Bear River by Brigham City, gravel road and 45 mph almost couldn't get stopped.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I've never hit a deer. I have flat-spotted many a tire because of deer.
When you see one deer run cross the road, look where it came from. There will always be another.