Paddle board info needed.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Looking to get a paddle board for an adult, what should I consider, blown plastic, fiberglass, other? It would be nice to keep it under $400.
Would not be used every weekend, but a few times a year, maybe more if we can swing it.
I'm searching the Internet for info, just looking for some real world experiance.
Thanks!

CobraNutt

My daughter loves her inflatable! Easy to haul around, and incredibly solid/stable! Hers isn't in the $400 budget though. Maybe sixstringsteve and skylinerider will pop in and give some of their wisdom.

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

Jesser04

We bought one of the lifetime ones for 349.00 but haven't used it yet. Comes with a paddle and seems well built. I'm sure the purest would call it garbage but for us it made sense. We leave our boat and trailer at flaming gorge and my wife is always commenting on other people using them up there. It's cheaper than a good tube and will get used just as much or more. I can relax and have a beer with friends and she can paddle board win/win.

Last edited:

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
I love my inflatable. It was twice your $400 budget however. I did a lot of research and decided on an iSUP for a number of reasons, the biggest it that I didn't want an 11' board strapped to the top of my jeep all the time. Last summer I took it out 3-4 times a week, I'm hooked. If you do look at inflatables, look for drop stitch construction. There are either 4" or 6" thick boards, I went with the thicker board for two reasons, First being that i'm no light weight, second being that I wanted to put a kid or dog on there occasionally. I quickly learned though that the weights these boards are advertised to hold are way low. They hold significantly more weight. 3 fins track straighter than 1, but 1 fin is more maneuverable that 3, it's a trade off.
No matter what kind you get, make sure it has a handle in the middle of the board. Most do, but I found some that don't.
Check out this thread http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?104262-SUP-s-any-experience

Here's the brand that i decided on: http://www.islesurfboards.com/stand-up-paddle-boards.aspx

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Great! Thanks guys.
It does appear my budget is way low... I don't know how often it would get used, that's why I didn't want to spend $800 and up.
Thanks again, I will look further.

sixstringsteve

x2 on everything skylinerider said. His boat, the isle, is a great one. Super stable, easy to learn on, cheap, and fun. I enjoyed paddling his. Sea Eagle sent me their needlenose to review and it's quite different from the isle. The learning curve is steeper than the isle, it's a little harder to balance on, and harder to turn, but it's really fast and tracks super straight. I thought the needle nose looked stupid and couldn't imagine a boat being good without an upturned bow, but I was wrong. Both the isle and the sea eagle are different enough that they appeal to different audiences. For a first paddleboard I recommend the isle unless speed, efficiency, and distance paddled are more important to you than easy learning curve, stability, and fun factor right out of the box.

Inflatables haven't quite caught up to the performance of the rigids yet, but they're 90% there. Curt hit the nail on the head when he said if you want an inflatable you want one with a drop stitch floor. It seems like everyone and their dog is making inflatable SUPs now. At the OR show last year it seemed like every single vendor had some sort of paddleboard product to sell. RED paddleboards is sending me a couple to review this summer, and I'll include my comments then too. They're supposed to be one of the best inflatables out there.

Personally, I prefer inflatable boats because of their ease of transport and storage. That's more important to me than performance right now. They pack up to the size of a large suitcase and can be inflated in about 10 min. I recommend a little electric pump when inflating, since paddleboards need high pressures (15 psi) and it gets tiring doing that by hand. If you don't mind storing and transporting a rigid board, they can be found cheaper than inflatables and their performance is usually better.

Paddleboarding is great fun. I wasn't in love with it the first 2 hours of paddleboarding, but now I prefer it over a kayak for short 1-2 hour paddles. For more than 2 hours, the kayak is still my preference. Paddleboarding is a lot more of a workout than I thought it'd be (mainly balancing and not falling in) and I've skated, surfed, snowboarded, and windsurfed. I like the challenging aspect of it, it keeps me interested. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Just like surfboards, paddleboards are measured by their length. Here's a few quick pointers on selecting length.

For bigger, heavier paddlers, get something thicker (6" like Curt mentioned)
For kids and lightweight paddlers, they can handle something like a 4" thick board. These are a bit sleeker and faster, but with less flotation.

Long paddleboards typically go faster than short paddleboards. As they get longer, they're harder to maneuver, but they track straighter and are more efficient. Kids can ride any size, and they have incredible stability on big adult boards, but they often have a tougher time steering and maneuvering the big adult boards.

A 6' board is really only for small kids under around 125 lbs. Super meaneuverable, and not too long that it's difficult for them to control. Nice and cheap too.

An 8-9' board is considered a short board and will be fun for surfing waves, rough waters, turning quickly, tricks, and light riders. These aren't as efficient and take a lot of effort to paddle across a big lake.

An 11' board is right in the middle as far as length goes. It's the jack of all trades. You can take it on a river with light rapids, or take it on a lake and have fun. These are pretty maneuverable and still pretty efficient. God all-rounder.

Anything in the 12-15 foot range will be narrower than the shorter boards, which makes them a little tippier. These are great for long distance paddles, speed, efficiency, and really honing in your skill. These are typically only meant for flat water (except for the guys who go from island to island in hawaii.

sixstringsteve

you might want to rent one before you commit to buying one, but here are a few close to your budget.

I can't tell if this one has a drop stitch floor or not. I'm guessing not, which means it can't handle higher PSI and won't be nearly as rigid. I'd pass on this one.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=33188427&cat=&lpid=&search=paddleboard&ad_cid=7

Of all the SUPs on KSl right now, this is the one I'd recommend based on specs alone. I have zero experience with this brand.
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=31441873&cat=&lpid=&search=SUP&ad_cid=12

Here's a nice rigid 11'
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=33181907&cat=&lpid=&search=paddleboard&ad_cid=12

This is the best one you're going to find in this price range. I've never ridden this one, but Amazon has reviews of it:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=32635213&cat=&lpid=1&search=paddleboard&ad_cid=1

I know nothing about these, but the price is in your range:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=26292941&cat=&lpid=3&search=SUP&ad_cid=11