Paint options?

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
I have seen Rhino lining kind of peel off when scratched, but maybe that is just because of improper application. Who knows?

I'm personally a big fan of Krylon, you know, not the cheapo off-brand stuff.:D

it may not have been the application, i heard that if its (rhino lining) hit with something it breaks off...so if you hit a rock you would be losing your paint job:) lol not a good thing.

is your rig done in the krylon?

thanks for the info.

I have heard that its pretty heavy to do a whole vehicle. Also its hard so if you take a big hit and the sheetmetal underneath bends then that sections cracks, peels, fall off. I saw a Bronco once compleatly done in it at moab and he said it worked ok. I have been thinking of doing the lower 2/3 of the XJ in it but havn't looked to hard.

Bart

I'm not a big fan on rhino lining the whole rig. Some parts flake off, and other parts its almost imposible to remove. I'd rather rattle can than rhino line.

pELYgroso

'Merica
I use the wal mart 1.00 flat black for the lower 1/3 of my yota and the krylon desert tan camo paint for the rest. The krylon lasts better but every spring I touch up the black areas with about 2.00 worth of paint and the paint job looks brand new and pretty much lasts all year. I keep a can in the rig so if i'm waiting for people up ahead on a trail and I see a small scratch or rust spot....ksshhhhhht ksshhhhhht and I'm good to go. :)

78mitsu

why not just use automotive paint, you can get a hvlp gun for <$50 and if you pick a factory color without any flake you can get paint your whole rig for less then $200. It will look better and last longer then anything from a rattle can.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
agree that a home shot paint job can be done for cheap, but way easier to touch up with Krylon... Undecided what I am gonna do... kryloned the stripes on my Bronc, did some solid color and candy krylon on the kids bike for Christmas... I like the inexpensive to redo idea... and if your average every day high gloss pro look is important to you... you can wet sand and buff Krylon, and it stays shiny for a long time. Just let it cure fully first....

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I painted the Scout with Zolatone. It is kind of like a bedliner but not near as heavy duty. It is not much heavier than normal automotive paint and the price is about the same. You are kind of restricted on colors but there are all of the basics and you can mix them to your liking. It sprays on ruff like a bedliner but doenst dry as hard and is actually pretty flexible. The only thing I wish I would have done is spray a clear coat over it. I painted it about 4 years ago and it has turned a little cloudy. It will scratch but touches up pretty easy.

The thing I like about it is it has different colored flecks in it. The main color is kind of army green but when you get close there are black and white and yellow and gray flecks in it. Kind of different but thats what I like about it. I will be skugying (scout truggy) the back end soon and I plan on spraying it again. It is also very easy to spray

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
I'm in auto collision repair at the jordan tech center. Anyway we have a paint booth and such there. I painted a friends Jeep orange, and have painted my bumper and fender flares in there too. They all turn out really nice. Anyways your options are rattle can (not recommended) or rhino line. I would just paint it with automotive paint, if you are looking for something cheap then go single stage, if your looking for higher quality go 2 stage. I would be more then happy to paint it for you if you would like. Just pay the cost of paint and supplies-(paint, tack rag, final clean, sandpaper etc.) And you would have to go without a vehicle for about a week ha ha I only have that class 2 hours a day. Anyway let me know.

is your rig done in the krylon?

Yes, it is and might I say I LOVE krylon in the sun yellow gloss?! :D While the first thing you notice about our rig is NOT the paint job, I think for being a rattle can, it came out pretty decent. Benefits: cheap, easy to touch up, and most of all, it's a rock crawler! Why spend anymore than necessary on something that has rock snuggling in it's destiny? ;)

red

instead of rhino line try using either linex or durabak. both hold up better than rhino, keep their color instead of fading in a year or 2 as well. durabak offers both smooth and textured, its a do it yourself setup.