Part out or sell whole? 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited

kyojin

So driving home on Wednesday night my Jeep started making a loud rattle/ticking noise. I thought maybe it was the exhaust manifold bolts that broke. I limped it home and to a local mechanic. I guess they think the engine is toast. They looked at the dipstick and there was no oil showing. I replaced it back in August and have not driving it much. It's our 3rd vehicle. There are no leak marks where it is parked.

So my question is if it is the engine that needs to be replaced, am I better off trying to sell it as is or parting it out. Here are the specs.

2002 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7l
4" Iron Rock Off road front long arm kit
Adjustable A arm upper and adjustable short arms in the rear
Spartan locker
Iceland Offroad fender flares
35x12.50R15 MTR Kevlars on 15x8 black steelies
135,xxx miles
Transmission and T-case seem fine

It has a lot of off road extras. I don't have the time/money to look at replacing the engine. So should I try to sell as is or take the time and try to part it out?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
We used to buy a lot of those, stopped because we got tired of putting 4.7's in them, no matter the mileage. I think we put about 9 or 10 engines in the 20 or so we had in the first year. I would think you could get more money parting it out, then scrapping whats left. But that takes time.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
IMO, you'll loose your ass selling it as is. If you can't put another engine in it, you are probably better off parting it out, dollar wise. Parting out vehicles is a lot of work and you don't always get what you think it fair.

I would try find an engine and DIY or save up the money, pay someone to put another 4.7 in it and then sell it. Those 4.7's are notorious for major problems.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
It will take more time but you'll get more money parting it out, it's a serious PITA to deal with but if you have the time, patience and space I would part it out.

kyojin

Thanks for the input guys. My friend towed it to his shop and he is going to break it down and see exactly what is wrong. Maybe it will be a quick cheap fix. Not too optimistic though.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
When I was at Tera, they did a lot of replacement 4.7's in those--and frequently the replacement motors had issues as well.

No help, just more confirmation of bad news. :(

RockChucker

If it is toast, I would be leery about buying a used engine for the exact same reason. For the cost of a crate 4.7 alone I bet you could swap in a gm 5.3. Or even a 4.8 would be good. They are easy to come by and reliable as can be.

Bart

If it is toast, I would be leery about buying a used engine for the exact same reason. For the cost of a crate 4.7 alone I bet you could swap in a gm 5.3. Or even a 4.8 would be good. They are easy to come by and reliable as can be.

Not sure how much extra work this would be, but it would get my vote. I absolutely love the 5.3s I've owned.

Toad

My wife drives a 2004 grand. Bone stock. Under 70,000 miles. Never been off road. Just the family car. Think she would care if I ruined it? :) That would make an awesome donor rig!

kyojin

Looks like I will be trying to sell this as is. I don't have the money/time/motivation to fix it. With everything that it comes with what do you think a reasonable "as is" price would be. I'm sure I could get more if I parted it out but don't want to go through that hassle.