Paying for Unified Police

864runner

I know I'm your hero
Maybe next year all you people that live in unincorporated areas should vote to have your own police force and no use the sherrif's office anymore and they won't charge you?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
There seems to big a big misconception here that only unincorporated areas are paying for police service. Believe me, we in incorporated areas are paying dearly for police. In my case, it's added onto my utility bills. Some people may think they're not paying, but they are and probably aren't even aware of it.

But, I do feel the unincorporated areas are now paying for it twice which is a crime in my opinion. Just as is the $1 a pack hike in cigarette tax under the guise of "increased health care costs related to smokers", when in fact all that money is earmarked for schools.

If they want to tax poor health, lets see them tax vending machines, soft drinks, ect. Want to pay for schools? Quit letting the people with kids use them as a tax deduction. That alone would more than make up for the schools deficit. Neither of those options would ever fly in this state though.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
If they want to tax poor health, lets see them tax vending machines, soft drinks, ect. Want to pay for schools? Quit letting the people with kids use them as a tax deduction. That alone would more than make up for the schools deficit.

I can agree with some of this logic, and would add the revocation of tax-exempt status from all churches.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
how about if they tax families with more then 6 kids... take that money and send it to the schools... utard would be rich! allowing powerball to be played here would another big windfall!

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This is just the same thing government agencies have done when taxes were used for hand outs instead of campgrounds and highways etc. Charge a user fee. It is so rational, let the person that takes advantage of the service pay for it or volunteer to keep it open, clean and maintained. I remember the days when all you had to do was drive into a campground or trail and camp or drive.

Ogre Palowakski

D. not a privilege to drive, its a Right.

Try and fight it, you will win, Drivers license and plates are just another form of taxation.

Not sure if someone has already pointed this out (I haven't made it through the entire thread yet) but why the fudge do we have to register our cars every year?

I know, the real reaon is so these d-bags can make money but has anyone heard an actual legitmate reason that benefits vehicle owners?

hambone

web wheeler
magna has already got there new cop cars and uniforms and last i checked the "old" car are still sitting behind the sub station collecting dust. dont get me wrong im all for paying the money if they clean this s**t hole up but I'll bet money I am stuck dealing with the three meth labs on my street alone.

Ogre Palowakski

how about if they tax families with more then 6 kids... take that money and send it to the schools... utard would be rich!

Absolutely!! The schools are desperate for money and you just presented the solution. If someone decide to have a lot of kids then they should pay more taxes. It's very simple.

A more interesting question is why this logical solution will never be applied here in Utah.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
how about if they tax families with more then 6 kids... take that money and send it to the schools... utard would be rich! allowing powerball to be played here would another big windfall!

Do you have six? I think it would be fair to start making people pay a little more for the first one, not less with each one you have. Lets call the education system what it is socialized education.

EROK81?

Sell out
D. not a privilege to drive, its a Right.

Try and fight it, you will win, Drivers license and plates are just another form of taxation.

Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. :)

Not sure if someone has already pointed this out (I haven't made it through the entire thread yet) but why the fudge do we have to register our cars every year?

I know, the real reaon is so these d-bags can make money but has anyone heard an actual legitmate reason that benefits vehicle owners?

I know a lot of it for tax revenue (which would be fine if the money really went where it should), but cars should be registered every year, at least 5+ years old. Mainly for the safety and registration part of it.

EROK81?

Sell out
Seriously???? UT is pretty special w/their registration schemes, I'll tell you that.

Am I serious about vehicles older than five years needing safety and emmisions testing?

Yes. Why exactly isn't this a good idea?

And I've owned plenty of vehicles and registered them all. Granted it's only been in Utah, but what is so special about ours?

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Driving is not a right, it is a privilege. :)

I know a lot of it for tax revenue (which would be fine if the money really went where it should), but cars should be registered every year, at least 5+ years old. Mainly for the safety and registration part of it.

So if it's to increase safety why not every 6 months? Why not every 3 months? I've replaced brakes 2 months after the car was registered. I don't understand what the safety inspection did other than safely remove $20 from my wallet. Cars under 8 years old only have to be inspected every 2 years are you saying my beater that sits on the side of my house and gets drove 5k miles a year is more of a safety issue than a newer car that gets drove 20k a year?

EROK81?

Sell out
So if it's to increase safety why not every 6 months? Why not every 3 months? I've replaced brakes 2 months after the car was registered. I don't understand what the safety inspection did other than safely remove $20 from my wallet. Cars under 8 years old only have to be inspected every 2 years are you saying my beater that sits on the side of my house and gets drove 5k miles a year is more of a safety issue than a newer car that gets drove 20k a year?

:rofl: I love your examples because they are so typical of the real world. This obviously doesn't apply as much here since most people keep up on maintence.

You know people with beaters such as yours get driven everyday? But on that note, depending on the state and year of said beater, it is very possible that it has/could have more safety issues than a 2010 model that gets driven daily.

Just because it's a fee from "the man" doesn't automatically make it bad.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
:rofl: I love your examples because they are so typical of the real world. This obviously doesn't apply as much here since most people keep up on maintence.
So how many people fail inspection typically? (inspection not emissions, emissions is a whole other can of worms).
You know people with beaters such as yours get driven everyday? But on that note, depending on the state and year of said beater, it is very possible that it has/could have more safety issues than a 2010 model that gets driven daily.
Well it is a Toyota... It could be possible the 2010 has more safety issues than my 97.

Just because it's a fee from "the man" doesn't automatically make it bad.
My tinfoil hat says otherwise. :spork::spork::spork:

Ogre Palowakski

I'm not at all opposed to the safety inspection. I'm opposed to the repeated registration.

The safety inspection has some rationale but the registration is nothing more than a reason for the state to get more money out of me -- unless of course there's something more I don't understand about it.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Seriously???? UT is pretty special w/their registration schemes, I'll tell you that.

Utah's registration is quite high comparatively. The funny thing here is they charge more by year rather than GVW. The newer the car, the higher the cost. My one ton is the same amount as jenns neon regardless of the damage my vehicle places on roads ETC.

Example: My TJ costs $50.00 yearly to register in Texas. No inspection or emission or required. Jenn's LJ was close to $110.00 here.

Oh, and don't feel bad, 84108 and 84105 are paying the same police fee;)

Last edited by a moderator: