people need better mechanics

Jedisdead

Jed
So me and my brother just went to look at a 4runner for him that had "bad compression" . He said that two mechanics had told told it was a 300-500 dollar job. He also said the #3 supra builder in America said the same, turns out it was a lose hose clamp on the air intake.

jdub

Scrambler
That is why I do all of my maintenance. I've heard of mechanics pulling a brokenn part off the shelf and showing it to the customer and saying, "this is your problem!" Charging them and doing nothing.

My dad owned a car dealership, I paid his mechanic to re-do my hubs on my SUV and it still had a problem so I pulled it apart myself to see and it was full of old grease with some new stuff slopped in there. Boy was his job on the line!

I have a good mechanic on hand, but nothing is worse when ladies get all sorts of BS form mechanics and I go in with them to "understand" what they are talking about. And the story changes and the price goes down a couple hundred dollars.

Toad

Sorry to hear that. As a shop manager/mechanic I see this stuff way to often myself. If your gonna tell someone the thing has low compession take 10 minutes pull the spark plugs and actually do the compression ck.

Jedisdead

Jed
SBIAMSRS is what he referred too I believe. He looked at us funny when he drove past us as my brother was getting insurance on it and it was running fine.