Pick My Next Truck

Which of these choices is “best” bang for the buck

• Total voters

Asbjorn

I’ve now sold my buggy and Dodge 3500 dually and will be looking for a practical all-around pickup. I’m presently entertaining the following, which would you choose and why or why not?

Potential uses:
Towing pontoon boat
Hauling dirt bikes
Ability to pull a car trailer
Hunting, fishing, camping

Budget is somewhere between $10-$20k

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Biased since I drive a tundra, but I’ve owned multiple of the other choices as well. Right now on ksl there is a 2009 limited tundra crew max with 118k miles for $20k. I think the v8 tundras are going to hold their value very well over the next few years, and they are a great overall truck. If towing was a primary concern I might look elsewhere, because they’re just okay at that part, but they are the most reliable full-size pickup truck out there.

Pike2350

My vote a modern 1/2 ton. For what you listed a modern half ton will do it all pretty easily. On an F150 I would look for the 5.0. The EB's are good motors generally..but there really isn't a mileage gain nor much "eco" about them. The Chev/GMC motors are durable and there are a lot out there so finding inexpensive with decent mileage shouldn't be too difficult. I would be more leary of Dodge....I have always heard of issues with quality. Tundra's are great and hold their value so you generally pay the premium...but they are very reliable. I think their fuel economy is the worst overall however.

I have had my '12 F150 EB Screw for 7byears now, put on 100k and half not had an issue until my recent exhaust manifold leak. While not a huge deal it is an expensive repair due to them having to remove and lift the cab.

Asbjorn

Biased since I drive a tundra, but I’ve owned multiple of the other choices as well. Right now on ksl there is a 2009 limited tundra crew max with 118k miles for $20k. I think the v8 tundras are going to hold their value very well over the next few years, and they are a great overall truck. If towing was a primary concern I might look elsewhere, because they’re just okay at that part, but they are the most reliable full-size pickup truck out there.
The Tundra is my first choice as of now. The longevity and reliability of Toyota makes up for the lack of towing ability. I’d probably be pulling a pontoon boat regularly, but those are pretty darn light.

Asbjorn

My vote a modern 1/2 ton. For what you listed a modern half ton will do it all pretty easily. On an F150 I would look for the 5.0. The EB's are good motors generally..but there really isn't a mileage gain nor much "eco" about them. The Chev/GMC motors are durable and there are a lot out there so finding inexpensive with decent mileage shouldn't be too difficult. I would be more leary of Dodge....I have always heard of issues with quality. Tundra's are great and hold their value so you generally pay the premium...but they are very reliable. I think their fuel economy is the worst overall however.

I have had my '12 F150 EB Screw for 7byears now, put on 100k and half not had an issue until my recent exhaust manifold leak. While not a huge deal it is an expensive repair due to them having to remove and lift the cab.
I’m leary of the eco boost after the issues Greg has had with his. Having just had a couple of Dodges, I’m pretty much over their interiors and electrical gremlins.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Since the 7.3 made the list. Great trucks that will go forever if cared for. They have their quirks but nothing too major. Also the newest one is now 20 years old so a lot can happen in that time—neglect etc. Ford made a LOT of them so any issues they have have been very well documented. Since they’re on your list I’d at least go drive one to see what they’re all about.

85CUCVKRAWLER

I vote Tundra, i love my Tundra and im on my second one. But, there are some downsides to owning them:

#1 they dont have alot of the creature comforts the American trucks have. If you want leather seats and your entire dash lighting up and going wizz bang dingle at you every 30 seconds, then you wont like the Tundra. Everything is basic and the seats are cloth.

#2 The gas mileage is down right poopy. Unloaded i can barely eek out 18 mpg. Towing 7000 lbs is between 5-11 mpg depending on the head wind (i once got 5 mpg towing across wyoming into a 50 mph head wind).

#3 the rear springs are soft so be mindful when loading the bed down or towing.

#4 You will replace your brake rotors every 30k miles. Its a common issue and its due to the oversized brakes toyota designed.

But the upsides are great:

#1 Best towing 1/2 ton truck bar-none.

#2 does very well offroad in stock form. I have the TRD-pro package which comes with some sturdy skid plates and a rear locker.

#3 The full cab fits a family of 4 well.

#4 The truck is worth now, what i paid for it three years ago.

#5 Ive put 70k miles on it and all i have had to do for maintenance is oil, filters and brakes.

Asbjorn

Since the 7.3 made the list. Great trucks that will go forever if cared for. They have their quirks but nothing too major. Also the newest one is now 20 years old so a lot can happen in that time—neglect etc. Ford made a LOT of them so any issues they have have been very well documented. Since they’re on your list I’d at least go drive one to see what they’re all about.
I’ve owned a 7.3 F-250 before, so I’m aware of their quirks and their longevity. If I get another diesel, it will be a 7.3 Ford.

Asbjorn

I vote Tundra, i love my Tundra and im on my second one. But, there are some downsides to owning them:

#1 they dont have alot of the creature comforts the American trucks have. If you want leather seats and your entire dash lighting up and going wizz bang dingle at you every 30 seconds, then you wont like the Tundra. Everything is basic and the seats are cloth.

#2 The gas mileage is down right poopy. Unloaded i can barely eek out 18 mpg. Towing 7000 lbs is between 5-11 mpg depending on the head wind (i once got 5 mpg towing across wyoming into a 50 mph head wind).

#3 the rear springs are soft so be mindful when loading the bed down or towing.

#4 You will replace your brake rotors every 30k miles. Its a common issue and its due to the oversized brakes toyota designed.

But the upsides are great:

#1 Best towing 1/2 ton truck bar-none.

#2 does very well offroad in stock form. I have the TRD-pro package which comes with some sturdy skid plates and a rear locker.

#3 The full cab fits a family of 4 well.

#4 The truck is worth now, what i paid for it three years ago.

#5 Ive put 70k miles on it and all i have had to do for maintenance is oil, filters and brakes.
The simplistic interior is just what I want. I hate electronics, lights, etc. Leather seats aren’t high on my list either. All of your highlights are exactly why the Tundra is my #1 choice right now.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
GMT800 with the 6.0... cheap, simple & reliable. I had two of them in the last several years and they both had high miles (300k and 220k), I drove them all over for work and never had a breakdown. With the 6 speed transmission they'd get decent mileage and towed well enough.

I'd average 15-16 MPG, had seen 17-18 on 65 MPH roads. Towing our big heavy camp trailer killed mileage though... 9 MPG. About 10-12 towing a Jeep.

Just run regular gas, change the oil and keep tires on it... pretty easy on the wallet.

85CUCVKRAWLER

The simplistic interior is just what I want. I hate electronics, lights, etc. Leather seats aren’t high on my list either. All of your highlights are exactly why the Tundra is my #1 choice right now.

Yeah, if you want a dead-nuts reliable Truck that does everything well, including towing some weight, then its Tundra all day. The complaints people have for the tundra fall into two categories; people who like their truck to talk to them while driving, and people who expect the Tundra to do 1 ton truck things.

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
GMT800 with the 6.0... cheap, simple & reliable. I had two of them in the last several years and they both had high miles (300k and 220k), I drove them all over for work and never had a breakdown. With the 6 speed transmission they'd get decent mileage and towed well enough.

I'd average 15-16 MPG, had seen 17-18 on 65 MPH roads. Towing our big heavy camp trailer killed mileage though... 9 MPG. About 10-12 towing a Jeep.

Just run regular gas, change the oil and keep tires on it... pretty easy on the wallet.
This would be my solid second choice. I had a 2005 with the 6.0, it was great. I know people getting deep into the 3XX mile range with few major issues. 5.3 of course is also a great motor if you don’t need all the towing power and want a little better fuel economy.

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I’ll second a 5.0 F150, I paid less than 10k for my last one. Good power, never disappointed me off-road, towed fine, doesn’t have a 73 mile range like a tundra.

Love the tundra it’s a great truck but IMO the Toyota tax and tiny gas tank isn’t worth the trade off in the used market. That 5.7 is a monster though

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
I’ll second a 5.0 F150, I paid less than 10k for my last one. Good power, never disappointed me off-road, towed fine, doesn’t have a 73 mile range like a tundra.

Love the tundra it’s a great truck but IMO the Toyota tax and tiny gas tank isn’t worth the trade off in the used market. That 5.7 is a monster though
I put a 46 gallon tank in my last one. Also, the Toyota tax isn’t as heavy as the tacomas. Same year and mileage, used tacomas cost more than tundras

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I put a 46 gallon tank in my last one. Also, the Toyota tax isn’t as heavy as the tacomas. Same year and mileage, used tacomas cost more than tundras

When I bought my last F150 if I recall the Toyota tax was still generally almost 5 figures more than its American counterpart and generally had nearly double the miles. I wanted a tundra drove pretty much every variety but ended up with the F*rd. Maybe things have changed but this is what I encountered 3 years ago

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
When I bought my last F150 if I recall the Toyota tax was still generally almost 5 figures more than its American counterpart and generally had nearly double the miles. I wanted a tundra drove pretty much every variety but ended up with the F*rd. Maybe things have changed but this is what I encountered 3 years ago
There are way more fords to choose from, at a wide range of configurations and price points, that’s for sure. Within the Toyota ecosystem, tundras are the best used vehicle purchase. Land cruisers, tacomas, fj cruisers, all silly priced by comparison.