picked up a new runner

hoosier

mtn yot
So this past weekend Luke and I ran out to chester to pick up a new DD/weekend warrior. It is an 88 with SAS. it has a 22re/5spd/dual stock cases. 4.10 gears 35" SS with tubes. It runs out ok but needs some work. the engine that's in it is tired and needs replaced. The guy I picked it up from gave me the original engine that came out of the truck. (it has A/C that will be hooked up)

First question is; There is no doubt of LC Engineering's quality and reputation, but is there a reason I should spend $1000 on their rebuild kit?

Second question is; is there any issues with running marlin's stage 2 or 3 clutch for a mainly street queen? (weekend warrior)

Third question is; What tires should I run? (35" range)

Forth question is; What is the best gear ratio of this rig? (I was thinking 4:88 but maybe 5:29)

any ways onto the pictures;

88 runner.jpg88 runner 2.jpg

hoosier

mtn yot
When I picked it up it had the shock hoop ripped off and the frame was torn. I have not got the shock hoop back on (NO TIME) but I did get the frame fixed

88 runner 3.jpg88 runner 4.jpg

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Nice platform to start out with, as far as 3rd and 4th question goes they come to preference. I think the best tires i've run to date are the maxxis trep's, but it really comes down to what you want to do with it. For a DD, exploration rig i'd look at an AT personally. If your going to get out and do a lot of crawling, I don't think you can go wrong with the trep.

Gearing same thing, we have an '84 with a LC Engineering Street performer motor its currently equipped with 4.88's and 33's which works well for it. We were running it 4.88's and 35in treps and it turned it into a dog. Treps are heavy tires so i'm sure that has a lot to do with it. Plenty of guys that like 35's and 4.88, I prefer 5.29's for 35's with my experience especially if your running the 22RE.

If you decide to go 5.29's I have a brand new set i'll make you a deal on.

Max Power

Bryce
I would go with 5.29 with a 35" tire. You will be really close to the stock feel with that setup. The 22RE has a hard enough time on hills as it is. I would recommend a header/exhaust while you have it apart.

hoosier

mtn yot
I think 5:29s will be the way to go. I don't know when I will be able to do it because of cost. So for now I will try to get my window switch installed and keep driving it as is

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I second the enginebuilder kit.

5.29's no question for gearing.

I would look into km2's or dura-tracks for a dd/wheeler.

Looks like a great start!

hoosier

mtn yot
So new question; do I put roughly 3k into building my 22re correctly (Mach work, rebuild kit, ect...) and I can swap the engines in a day, or do I start looking for a 3.4 to swap?

my dilemma is this IS a daily driver and I cant afford to have my rig down longer than the weekend. I am not looking for crazy power but to run out strong and reliability is the main thing. Has anyone done this swap? can you give me a general price point for what the swap cost? I am having a hard time finding a good candidate for a complete swap. any help would be great

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
It would be a better candidate if it were a 3.0, I'd guesstimate close to 5k for a swap your going to be 3k+ just for a 3.4 motor

dutchman

KI7KSV
FWIW, my 88 has the 22re, 5 speed, 5.29s and it moves my 35" MTRs well enough for me not too complain too much. Acceleration leaves a little to be desired, but it's to be expected.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
3k into a rebuild? I've never done one, but when I was budgeting mine out I was figuring more like 1800, and that was with a new rv head. The engnbldr rebuild kit is under $300, and I had a shop quote me a little over $500 in machine work (tanked, bored, decked, etc).

My 22re 4Runner with 33s and 5.29 gears was awesome (for a 22re 4Runner :D). With 35s it would have been probably acceptable. That's with the five speed - if you have the auto, I wouldn't go above a 33 inch tire unless you enjoy being passed by semis over the point of the mountain.

Last edited:

hoosier

mtn yot
just some quick before and after pics
88 runner 6.jpg88 runner 5.jpg

Man those load range E tires with 80lbs is ROUGH riding but at least I can drive 65 without thinking the axles were going to fall off