Ping, knock, call it what you want

Ramme

Big Blue
I have a 98 Dodge 1/2 that knocks like crazy. not all the time, but when going up Parleys it does it a lot, towing it does it, and towing while going up Parleys it definately does it. Does anyone know of anything to do to fix it. Don't feed me the line of bull about putting the proper octane gas in it either. That helped a little, but not a lot. I don't think you can adjust the timing on it either. Anyone know of anything?

Ramme

P

pokeyYJ

How hot is the motor running? If it is too hot you might get some pinging under load.

harkinoff

something to do...
Originally posted by Ramme
I have a 98 Dodge 1/2 that knocks like crazy. not all the time, but when going up Parleys it does it a lot, towing it does it, and towing while going up Parleys it definately does it. Does anyone know of anything to do to fix it. Don't feed me the line of bull about putting the proper octane gas in it either. That helped a little, but not a lot. I don't think you can adjust the timing on it either. Anyone know of anything?

Ramme

My 2000 does this same thing... mine is fuel.. I run cheap sheit, it pings likes a bastard, I run the good stuff, 88 and higher it don't do it all, even pulling a heavy load with the good stuff and it don't di it..

S

sukaB

I tried the plugs and even on my fourth so called built tranny..
Still pinging......
Guess I should drive a ford

NOT

Will C.

Anyway getting back to the issue..... is what I think your trying to say is that you have a preingnition problem. Is that correct?

Will Chandler

Ramme

Big Blue
First, if you drove a Ford you would have a lot more problems then just some pinging. Second, yes it's where it ignites before the piston is in the top dead center postion. 88 octane gas helps, but it still does it sometimes. The motor is running at fine temp, it seems to do it when it is cold too. Other than that it is only when there is a load put on it. Any other bright ideas?

Ramme

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
91 octane. Also, is it a manual??

I would also recommend maybe running some GM top engine cleaner through it (you can get it an any dealer) it is very possible that you may have some carbon deposit problems. The carbon deposits get red hot and cause preignition. The "ping" you hear is actually the flame front from the preignition meeting with the flame front from the ignited gasoline.

I top engine cleaned yukons and 1500s all the time. This would be my best bet for fixin er.

Ramme

Big Blue
Yeah its a manual. The owner manual says that any higher of an octane than 88 wont make it run any better, and that it might just make it run worse. What do you think?

Ramme