pipe vs tube

kirby

Alright Ive heard not to use pipe for cages or steering, but could someone tell me the difference between pipe and tube. Why can't you use pipe?

BioNuke1

Jeepsus Chrystler
Pipe is usually made of a softer steel than tube, not good for high impact. it's also alot thicker but not necissarily stonger, so it's alot of extra weight. it's better than nothing but it cant beat cromoly or a dom tube

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
pipe is for poop
tube is for cage
as far as what you should use, you be the judge. people have used pipe before, really cheap people

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
My buddys Dad built a Sandrail out of pipe back in the 70's, and his experience is exactly what has been said above: Heavy and not as strong. He constantly had problems with the pipe bending, tubing would not have done this. It is a horror story- everytime we mention it he looks like someone hit him in the groin. :D

Caleb

back up the tube is stronger that pipe with FACTS...cause its been proven many time on PBB that pipe is indeed stronger than tube. Is pipe intended to be used in roll cages, no but it is stronger and is less likely to dent ;) but it does weigh a ton more than tube does. reason being for that is you generally use .120 or thinner tube for cages and pipe is usually around .25" wall.

with that said, I will never use pipe in any of my vehicles...

tuck

spud crawler
dunatic67 said:
He constantly had problems with the pipe bending, tubing would not have done this.

Really? Tubing benders must be a complete waste of money then. :rofl:

There's a lot of myth in the pipe vs. tube arguments. There are many types of pipe, and many types of tube... The argument always seems to imply cast pipe vs. Chromoly tubing... and that's a no-brainer. There are types of pipe that are very similar to HREW tubing... and are suitable (in my ignorant opinion) for most 4x4 applications including well-designed roll cages. $.02

N-Smooth

tuck said:
Really? Tubing benders must be a complete waste of money then. :rofl:

There's a lot of myth in the pipe vs. tube arguments. There are many types of pipe, and many types of tube... The argument always seems to imply cast pipe vs. Chromoly tubing... and that's a no-brainer. There are types of pipe that are very similar to HREW tubing... and are suitable (in my ignorant opinion) for most 4x4 applications including well-designed roll cages. $.02

yeah but how many people use hrew for their whole roll cage? most use dom or chromoly and maybe a few pieces of hrew for little stuff

Caleb

xj_punk said:
yeah but how many people use hrew for their whole roll cage? most use dom or chromoly and maybe a few pieces of hrew for little stuff

I bet more people use HREW than DOM...by far...AND depending on the grade of pipe, pipe is stronger than DOM...how many people do you personally know that has a chromoly cage? After they got done welding that chromoly cage up did they have it re-heat treated? If not than they no longer have a superior cage. I only know of one person that has their whole chassis made from chromoly and thats walker evans...I'm sure there are other competitors but I dont know any off hand...

N-Smooth

Supergper said:
I bet more people use HREW than DOM...by far...AND depending on the grade of pipe, pipe is stronger than DOM...how many people do you personally know that has a chromoly cage? After they got done welding that chromoly cage up did they have it re-heat treated? If not than they no longer have a superior cage. I only know of one person that has their whole chassis made from chromoly and thats walker evans...I'm sure there are other competitors but I dont know any off hand...

i guess i shouldn't speculate too much because i don't know everything. but do more people really have hrew cages?? even in the comp scene??
my cage is all dom, so maybe i'm a sucker ;)
isn't one of the car concepts buggies chromoly? i thought it was
i am not saying chromoly is best, or pipe is worst, i am just saying dom is "where it's at" :rofl:

Caleb

xj_punk said:
i guess i shouldn't speculate too much because i don't know everything. but do more people really have hrew cages?? even in the comp scene??
my cage is all dom, so maybe i'm a sucker ;)
isn't one of the car concepts buggies chromoly? i thought it was
i am not saying chromoly is best, or pipe is worst, i am just saying dom is "where it's at" :rofl:

I am way behind on the comp rigs at this point, back when I judged I could tell you about most of them...in comps I dont know if more have hrew, but overall I would say people use hrew 2:1...read around on PBB and it will surprise you how many use PIPE over tube :eek: and hrew over dom. I may be a sucker too but my buggy is mostly dom and I asked for that when I had it built. I agree, DOM is where its at :D

BioNuke1

Jeepsus Chrystler
Personally I think HOW the cage is built is just as important (if not more) than what material you use (for example those spagetti structures being able to withstand like hundreds of times their own weight) proper gusseting and structural stresses need to be considered, but then agian I don't drive a buggy so what do I know

Caleb

BioNuke1 said:
Personally I think HOW the cage is built is just as important (if not more) than what material you use (for example those spagetti structures being able to withstand like hundreds of times their own weight) proper gusseting and structural stresses need to be considered, but then agian I don't drive a buggy so what do I know

absolutely, design is more important than material, IMO. BTW, what does driving a buggy have anything to do with this discussion?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
You really think a lot of people are using ERW, Caleb? Seems like most are using DOM. Maybe I'm out of touch too. My buggy is 100% DOM. If you don't think DOM is stronger, take a piece of DOM, and put it in a bender and bend it to 90 degrees. Now take the same size and wall thickness of ERW (or HREW) and put it in the same bender, and bend it to 90 degrees. If it's a manual bender, you will instantly notice how much easier the ERW bends. If a hydraulic bender you'll notice instantly how much faster the bender is able to bend it. Also, you'll notice that the DOM "springs back" a lot more, when you release the bender. I used all DOM on my buggy because I've found that you can't always tell which tubes you are going to bend in a rollover. I've seen people use lesser tube on the interior of the buggy, and DOM on the outside. When they take a hard roll the interior tube bends. Without good engineering software, I don't think you can accurately predict where it is safe to use lesser tube. Just my opinion, there's no "right" way to do this...

Last edited:

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Tacoma said:
I thought DOM was the norm these days?
Me too. Maybe we've both been hanging around RockLogic too long. The lousy, building-stuff-abnormally-strong bastards... :)

Caleb

RockMonkey said:
You really think a lot of people are using ERW, Caleb? Seems like most are using DOM. Maybe I'm out of touch too. My buggy is 100% DOM. If you don't think DOM is stronger, take a piece of DOM, and put it in a bender and bend it to 90 degrees. Now take the same size and wall thickness of ERW (or HREW) and put it in the same bender, and bend it to 90 degrees. If it's a manual bender, you will instantly notice how much easier the ERW bends. If a hydraulic bender you'll notice instantly how much faster the bender is able to bend it. Also, you'll notice that the DOM "springs back" a lot more, when you release the bender. I used all DOM on my buggy because I've found that you can't always tell which tubes you are going to bend in a rollover. I've seen people use lesser tube on the interior of the buggy, and DOM on the outside. When they take a hard roll the interior tube bends. Without good engineering software, I don't think you can accurately predict where it is safe to use lesser tube. Just my opinion, there's no "right" way to do this...

not in comps but the home fabbers, yeah I think so...especially with steel prices going up like they have been. I've never debated the strength of dom vs. hrew...that ones a gimme if you know how dom is made (same way as hreaw but then drawn over a mandrel, hence the name, and that work hardens the dom that much more than the hrew and brings the dom to much more consistent specs). This is PIPE vs. tube (erw is tube still ;) )

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Supergper said:
not in comps but the home fabbers, yeah I think so...especially with steel prices going up like they have been. I've never debated the strength of dom vs. hrew...that ones a gimme if you know how dom is made (same way as hreaw but then drawn over a mandrel, hence the name, and that work hardens the dom that much more than the hrew and brings the dom to much more consistent specs). This is PIPE vs. tube (erw is tube still ;) )
To me ERW and HREW are interchangeable. I'm not sure what the difference is (or if there is one). I do know what the letters stand for, but still don't really know if there is much of a difference between the two. I'm not even debating the merits of buildng a buggy out of pipe, 'cause that would just be stupid...

Caleb

RockMonkey said:
To me ERW and HREW are interchangeable. I'm not sure what the difference is (or if there is one). I do know what the letters stand for, but still don't really know if there is much of a difference between the two. I'm not even debating the merits of buildng a buggy out of pipe, 'cause that would just be stupid...

I think erw is a generalization of HREW and CREW (hot rolled vs. cold rolled)...but yeah erw is still tube and I still think more home fabbers use erw than dom. Good call on the pipe ;)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Search on PBB. Welderboy just built his new ride with pipe. Caleb, most pipe is not .25. Schedule 40 is about .130 or so in a 1.5 ID