Pistol Pete With Rebel X ...koh

Aaron

We are finally back from the King Of The Hammers. I have to say it was one of the best events /times that I have been to in the last ten years. Yes the motor from Top Truck Challenge 2000 has expired :sick: but has had a good life. When we got the call it was less than a week till KOH and had a ton of work to do. The buggy needed some mods such as (the desert package) which is : extra fuel w/transfer pump, spare tire, jack w/quick mount, amber lights, etc. On the day of departure we found a badly checked right front shaft, but luckily found one at advanced 4WD (thanks randy!!). Wednesday: drive. Thursday pre-run courses met up with "Pistol Pete" with his pre runner trophy truck (HARBOR-FREIGHT) which buy the way was a kick ass truck and learned BAJA GPS and the ways of the desert 100+ in the hot seat!! Next we ran both cars over the valley as much as we could with the dust storms coming having a blast. At about midnight "fast Eddy" and myself were finishing up the GPS and COMM systems (thanks Dustin and Becca)for the light- and were fueling for tomarrow. Now race day was on us and it was raining and the 30 second intervals of departure seemed like nothing, after our start was yelled "GO" it was the craziest feeling to be racing a rock racer through the desert on GPS maps and giving directions like in baja. After the first little bit we had passed 3 teams the rear engine with the spare and fuel balanced the car nicely in the whoops until.... too many revs and the dip stick popped out and a nice fire came of it.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
That's cool as hell. I almost stopped by tonight, had to detour around what looked to be a few miles of traffic backed up, saw a truck and lights on in the shop.

Looked like a kick-ass time, read about the mishaps on Pirate!

Aaron

continuing on: soon after that the secondaries on the pro flo fuel injection got stuck open:confused:and we limped or highly revved into pit 2 where after an hour a great stranger figured out that it wasn't computer related and disconnected the secondaries (air) manually thanks FABTECH and dude. The next couple of hours went smooth with Pete conquering his nemesis the rocks (over not around) , we passed so many dead buggys it looked like a war zone. After the second rock trail section there was a whoop section that even slowed the best desert trucks which was a couple miles long going into check 7. Shortly after that came the sand mountain where at the top we killed the 406 small block when it hit 280++ and all the liquids and oils wanted out!! Followed with steam and fire and fire but I got it out. But all in all we will be back next year because it truely was a great feeling to be back with so many old friends in a one of a kind race! Thanks to all who put it on>>>>

Bart

Too cool Aaron, glad you were able to hook up with Pete and race. Bummer about the motor but you have an insight to that race now that not many do. I'm going to try and be there next year. I think my new buggy will be a great chase rig.