Pittsburgh Lake 09-14-07

Cory

Sure, but there will be a few freinds of mine that would be a bit angry their gate was missing ;)

I was up there last weekend and there were a few vehicles up past the gate, but the gate was locked. Even had some kind of cat or front-end loader? Almost looked like someone was preparing a cabin spot or something? I didn't have binoculars so I couldn't tell for sure. Anyone know what is going on up there?

Before the gate was there ever a way over the top and down into Mary Ellen Gulch or other trail on that side?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I was up there last weekend and there were a few vehicles up past the gate, but the gate was locked. Even had some kind of cat or front-end loader? Almost looked like someone was preparing a cabin spot or something? I didn't have binoculars so I couldn't tell for sure. Anyone know what is going on up there?

Before the gate was there ever a way over the top and down into Mary Ellen Gulch or other trail on that side?

I havn't heard about recent plans for a cabin, but at one time it was discussed. Who you likely saw was the property owners (or people working for them), really nice people, they have had interests in the canyon from the early days... Several years ago they bought out the other interests and now own that mine claim and the surrounding property (patented mine claim?). They were allowing public access for some time, but many of you remember the vehicle that rolled numerous time up there 3-4 years ago. Well, word of a lawsuit came about and to protect themselves from "attractive nuisance" suits, the forest service installed a gate. :(

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

I was told of a connector road at one time, from Bob (used to run AmericanForkCanyon.com), EZRhino (Chris) and I tried to find any leftovers... nothing more than a foot trail. There is some "prospects" below the Upper Major Evans Gulch road and some near the top of Lower M.E. Gulch, but we couldn't connect it. I dropped EZ off at the top and picked him up at the bottom one time... he hiked all over the hill looking for a connector... nothing.

There was a road between the south side of Miller Hill and Mary Ellen Gulch, you can still see the switchback but they too were likely nothing more than a mule trail?

Meat_

Banned
I was told of a connector road at one time, from Bob (used to run AmericanForkCanyon.com), EZRhino (Chris) and I tried to find any leftovers... nothing more than a foot trail. There is some "prospects" below the Upper Major Evans Gulch road and some near the top of Lower M.E. Gulch, but we couldn't connect it. I dropped EZ off at the top and picked him up at the bottom one time... he hiked all over the hill looking for a connector... nothing.

I've been to the end of the road in the bottom of Major... it ends :D There is a side road that takes off a little bit below the gate, it used to go more than it does now, but I don't know to what extent.

As far as a road that goes from M.E.G. to M.E.G. (hmmmm wonder if they planed that....) I've hiked that ridge line.... no there was no road.

There was a road between the south side of Miller Hill and Mary Ellen Gulch, you can still see the switchback but they too were likely nothing more than a mule trail?
I'm thinking it wasn't ever much more than a mule cart "road" But it was defiantly there.

Somewhere up there is (was) a road that I've been on in the past (8 or 9 years ago...) that no longer exists. It dead ended at some prospects, but it bothers me that I can't find any trace of it.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I've been to the end of the road in the bottom of Major... it ends :D There is a side road that takes off a little bit below the gate, it used to go more than it does now, but I don't know to what extent.

It dead ends... EZ and I tried to connect that one too... not sure where it ever went. There were at least a couple renditions of the road up to the gate, primarily the portion past Silver Flat area... seems the actual bulldozed road didn't follow the trail that originally entered the area? There are some prospects before the gate, not sure if that is the spur your thinking of??

M.E.G. vs M.E.G. seriously... they could have switched things up a bit... I know the history behind Major Evans, but I havn't heard much beyone Mary Ellen... Who knows??