pivot blocks?

samizook

Anybody ever tried them? After building my rear bumper/spare carrier, plus the weight of my 9 year old son and tools,coolers,parts etc.. I noticed that my rear is sagging a little more than the front and was thinking of adding 1" to 1.5" blocks on the rear. Then I stumbled across some old ideas and I am now considering trying the pivoting blocks. Has anybody tried them? How do they work?

samizook

What are you guy's still doing up? It seems to me that it would be better than a solid block of steel back there?:confused: Doesn't it?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Originally posted by samizook
What are you guy's still doing up? It seems to me that it would be better than a solid block of steel back there?:confused: Doesn't it?

I would think there would be a problem with side to side movement.

Not sayin I didn't consider it on my own jeep.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have heard that these can be week. The pivoting point can break.

No for me. Do it right, fix the springs.

samizook

Originally posted by Jeremy
your axle will move lateral when you don't want it too.
Does this same config occur with johnny joints?I know that the j-joints will not help my lift problem, But it seems to be the same concept to me?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Does this same config occur with johnny joints?I know that the j-joints will not help my lift problem, But it seems to be the same concept to me?

They are usually mounted side to side. Not front to back. If that made sense.

samizook

Aren't both set-ups relieving stress on the leaf packs? If so, then wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to replace bolts versus springs? Or am I just up in the night?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
Aren't both set-ups relieving stress on the leaf packs? If so, then wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to replace bolts versus springs? Or am I just up in the night?

Yes but the ones in the springs(orbit eyes) don't allow side to side movement.

samizook

So... is there any noticable disadvantage to this set-up that anyone has experienced? And what vehicle? do I have to try it out for myself! J/k:D

samizook

I think that i'll try it. It's only a couple of bucks more than the block set-up. I know that I'm your neighbor and all:D , But I am a stubborn s.o.b and i have to be proven wrong from experience. So, It seems to me that there would not be that much movement side to side having 12 bolts plus 2. So wish me luck! It's been a long day here in PA and I'm bored! Got to keep motivated for 7 more day's somehow! I'll let you know how it does, for better or worse! I'm having a problem visualizing side to side movement. Maybe you can draw me up something in corell. j/k i wanna come home!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
the BIG problem is that your axle will move side to side...this has already been discussed and is a MAJOR drawback. You will also need a traction bar and panhard bar to control the spring wrap and lateral movement respectively.

I think you already had the traction bar...but the panhard bar is absolutely necessary. you will think twice about those things when your rear axle walks side to side.....

toyotacrawler was running those on the rear of his toy buggy at desert mountain, he had no panhard and his stuff walked back and forth probably 1.5 inches either way from center...

samizook

O.K. so i can finally see (after reviewing some pics):D some side to side movements that can occur. It looks to me that depending on the o.d. of tube that you decide to use, determines the amount of body roll you will have. I also think that mounting your shocks to the axle-housing versus your u-bolt plates can be quite benificial for this. I definately wouldn't do this or consider it for a ride that is intended to be driven on streets. I do agree that having a panhard for this would be helpful, I don't think that the panhard is absolutley necessary for the amount of lift and pivot that i am trying to achieve. I do think that it could relieve a substantial amount of stress off my leaf packs and also provide a little more flex. And if it gets a little to squirrely, worst case is i have to fabricate a panhard. (or 5hitcan the whole idea):D I haven't found enough evidence yet to convince me that this is a bad idea. I think that it needs to played with a little more.

P.S. I dont think this set-up scared that batouttahell the least bit out at desertmountain:D