Place for ZJ BB install??

kikn93ZJ

Top Dawg
I can't find guys that are free the same times that i am, and i do not hace the tools to do the job. Does anyone know of a place that will install it for not so much green? I went to 4wheelparts and the said it would be $200. Any place less than that? Thanks

Rich

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
BB?? umm what is that...... big bumper.......big breasts.....what is it?? i am not sure who would do breast augmentation on your jeep for 200$ ?? :D please help me with what BB means and i might be able to install it myself!!

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
BB is what us grand cherokee geeks call a budget boost aka a spring spacer. It's real easy to do--just takes a couple hours.

Cody

MattL

Go buy your self a set of GOOD spring compressors for 50.00 and do it your self.
I emphasie the word good as it is dangerous if you dont get the good kind. If you get the good ones then all it takes really is a bit of your time and a bit of sweat to do it.
I will try and define the good and the bad.
Good has like a u bolt action that goes around one of the spring wires and actually bolts it to the spring commpressor. With this set up the spring clams seldom move and wont slide off and take any appendages with it.
the bad style had just little curved fingers that hold the clamp in place. once the there is enough force on them there is little to stop it from sliding around and down and arond on the spring.

Hope this makes sense.

--M

Last edited:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
yes!!! those compresors are very important and not that expensive either if i am thinking straight. are you just talking about puckin it?? nothing hard about a puck lift, just get some basic hand tools and a jack and jackstands. easy!! ;)

kikn93ZJ

Top Dawg
guess i could give it a go myself, though i have absolutely no experience in doing things like this (4wp installed my lift). judging by what everyone says, its a snap. i just don't want my zj to fall apart on me when i get inside it when complete. :D:D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
what we got here is a virgin wrencher:eek: :eek: :D :D just kiddin!! but you do know the saying that all the jeepers have on their junk, "Real jeeps are built not bought!" it is time to get some grease under those fingernails. It also helps when you are in the board room talking to a financial analyst and he notices you got grubby hands and you say, i build 4x4's for fun!! and then he looks at you like you are some kind of pyscho then you stick out your tongue and scream until he wets himself!!:D :D :D and no i do not speak from experience, but damn i would love to do that someday!!

HAVOC

kikn93ZJ, you and I are in about the same place with wrenching experience. I wouldn't give in and send it away unless there is no other way. However, I would be terrified to try it myself. Ask a lot of questions, buy the tools if you need and then beg for help. I'm sure you'd be willing to do all of the work. All you need is a technical advisor to say things like "NO! you idiot... You do it that way it's all going to fall on you and crush your skull!" Someone, I would hope, would be willing to yell things like that if you promised them food etc.

Brent Orton was nice enough to help me (read: He did the work and I watched) with my rear diff leak. Even watching was a huge confidence builder. It really didn't look very hard... After that I replaced my own motor mounts. It was a great experience.... Actually it was pure Hell... I've never been so misserable in all my life. But I did it and learned a lot. Saved money too.

DToy

If you want to drive to Eagle Mountain one evening I'll help you do it in my garage. I've got all of the tools. I put a 3-1/2" Teraflex kit on my wife's GC by myself in about 4 hours. It's definitely worth it to find someone to help you do it yourself, you'll be tackling larger projects sooner than you think once you start. And if you're like most of us, the more you want to do to your rig the more you'll have to do it yourself just to be able to afford it.

kikn93ZJ

Top Dawg
Originally posted by DToy
If you want to drive to Eagle Mountain one evening I'll help you do it in my garage. I've got all of the tools. I put a 3-1/2" Teraflex kit on my wife's GC by myself in about 4 hours. It's definitely worth it to find someone to help you do it yourself, you'll be tackling larger projects sooner than you think once you start. And if you're like most of us, the more you want to do to your rig the more you'll have to do it yourself just to be able to afford it.

That sounds like a great idea, about the help. I really don't want to send it away to get done, because I want to learn how to do it. The only problem was I could not find anyone who could assist me. I know that i'll be taking onlarger projects in the future, hopefully some RE 3.5" or 4.5" coils to replace these sagging pro comps.

DToy, do you live by the golf course?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Originally posted by kikn93ZJ

The only problem was I could not find anyone who could assist me.

:rolleyes: No, the problem is that you couldn't find someone to assist you in 1 days notice or on the day that is most convenient for you. Sometimes you have to make time........

Tuesday 12:30-5?

kikn93ZJ

Top Dawg
Originally posted by GroceryGetter

:rolleyes: No, the problem is that you couldn't find someone to assist you in 1 days notice or on the day that is most convenient for you. Sometimes you have to make time........

I know. i feel bad for the way short notices, but that is all that school will let me do. Being that I am still in high school i don't have much free time during the week. I have a golf match on tuesday, so that will not work so great. Let me check my practice schedule and i will let you know what days i can skip out on.

Sorry for the inconvenience

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Originally posted by GroceryGetter

hehehe :D:D:D

kikn93ZJ

Top Dawg
Originally posted by goin4xn

AMEN!

ZJ - Take DTOY up on his offer! Like others have said - you'll be doing stuff you didn't think you could do after a little while!
Scott

I think that i will. I really want to get my hands dirty with this install, because *hopefully* i have some new coils comming, then i could install them myself.