Planetary gear reduction

ace

Parts Collector
Check out this cool product. Black Box I'm pretty sure it is just an np241 gear reduction in a newly machined case. Just bolt it in between what you already have and you've got an extra 2.72 gear reduction. Maybe I will use that np205 after all.

Last edited:

thenag

there are 3:1 kits for the 203 too (I think they are about $1000). so that would give you 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, or 6:1 in the front, rear, or 4wd.

i know I spent about $1000 on my 203/205 doubler, including drive shaft mods, the most expensive part was the doubler kit. I got both t-cases from yards as "cores" for $100 each. the 205 didn't need anything but seals the 205 needed a couple of bearings.

it is as strong as an atlas and you can buy parts at napa. and a plus for me since i have a real transmission is that there is not a drop of ATF anywhere in my truck. (gear oil all over the driveway...)

of course the 203/205 is 200lbs and really long. my rear driveshaft on my bronco is 24 inches. (my rear axle has a huge snout too)

nathan
87 bronco with the goods from a 96 f350

Caleb

The real issue is it's $1600, for $18-1900 you can pickup a Stack case with low gearing, a little more and you can get an Atlas. The doublers are great but after having a 203/205 in my buggy I'd much rather have a single case (weighing a fraction of the doubler and TONS shorter). I found that I wasn't hardly ever using all my gearing options, especially since I had an auto.