planning noob run part 2

sixstringsteve

Ok, I think I'm wanting to do another noob run. I'm thinking sometime in May. I'm sure there are some good ideas out there. I needed a place to bounce some ideas off people to make sure part 2 goes as smooth as part 1. Just remember, I'm not going to be able to please everybody, but I do value feedback/suggestions.

Remember, the intended audience is new wheelers who have been 0-5 times or so, not necessarily for the average RME member who's been wheeling for years. Let's try and keep it focused on them.

Here are my initial thoughts.

- more instruction than last time. We really only covered the bare bones basics at the initial noob run.
- run rattlesnake (or any trail with obstacles) in daylight, with enough spotters to instill confidence.
- do an over-nighter with camping. I think it'll be easier to do some of this training over a campfire, or in a relaxed setting. Otherwise there's the urge to go run the trail instead of sticking around to listen. Most noobs don't come to these runs for the instruction/lecture, they come to wheel. I think a lot of these topics (unless they're hands-on) could be taught at night around a campfire, where people are just hanging out anyway.

I can't do it alone, I'll need some helpers agian.

Some topics of instruction that I thought of are:
- recovery
- getting involved with land use (maybe a blue ribbon or tread lightly training)
- driving techniques for different obstacles (it'd be really cool if we had some set up)
- spotting
- vehicle modification - what each element does (lockers, gears, cages, lifts, pros+cons, etc)

If the group gets as big as last time we're going to have to split up into smaller groups of about 5-10. I'm not expecting another huge turnout, but I'd like to be prepared for it either way.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Tread Lightly has a 'Awareness' program that takes ~1 hour to host which would be idea for this exact scenario. Could easily be done around a campfire. RME has several TL Trainers and Master Trainers.

sixstringsteve

that's just what I was hoping for. I need to take that class, then eventually get certified as a tread lightly trainer.

sixstringsteve

it'd be fun to set up some scenarios for recovery and teach people how to get out of them. Like practicing using different recovery equipment in a real-life situation.

Only problem is, I'm not an expert in any of this stuff, I'm just an energetic guy who wants to learn and get new members involved.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
it'd be fun to set up some scenarios for recovery and teach people how to get out of them. Like practicing using different recovery equipment in a real-life situation.

We did just that on our Wasatch Cruiser desert rally last fall. We combined navigation, recovery, first aid, equipment prep, etc into a single outing. I manned the recovery station, users arrived (using their GPS and map skills) to find my Cruiser 'mock stuck' in a ravine. They had to properly show how they would access the recovery, utilize the gear they brought or draw from my equipment an then execute the recovery. Once they safely executed a recovery they got their ticket and went on to the next task.

Only problem is, I'm not an expert in any of this stuff, I'm just an energetic guy who wants to learn and get new members involved.

Its that energy we need to organize the event ;)

sixstringsteve

We did just that on our Wasatch Cruiser desert rally last fall. We combined navigation, recovery, first aid, equipment prep, etc into a single outing. I manned the recovery station, users arrived (using their GPS and map skills) to find my Cruiser 'mock stuck' in a ravine. They had to properly show how they would access the recovery, utilize the gear they brought or draw from my equipment an then execute the recovery. Once they safely executed a recovery they got their ticket and went on to the next task.

now that's what I'm talking about! I keep checking your website to see when the 2011 trips are scheduled.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
The Wasatch Cruisers plan all of their events on the clubs forum. I do need to get my companys 2011 calendar finalized and updated.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I'll be there, so long as it isn't 21-22 May. That's the gun show and I'll likely be working a booth that weekend. I'm no pro by any means but I have learned some valuable lessons by my mistakes and watching others. As it gets closer and we can figure out what area I would mostly be valuable in I'm game.

I'm really looking forward to this trip and I'll likely have the wife and kid so this will be good for the wife to since she has driven forest lake once and fell in love.

airmanwilliams

nice I would like to come again and actually go on rattlesnake this time. overnighter sounds great since I havent been out camping for a LONG time and just need time out and away from a two year old and everything and I dont have school half of april and all of may so I have plenty of time to kill.

sixstringsteve

kurt, do you have any ideas of a location/route that would work well? I thought it'd be cool to do:

Friday: Spiral Jetty/golden splike/railroad sites --> Lucin sun tunnels for the night
Saturday: Lucin --> pony express --> snakes

I guess the only rock crawling would be on snakes on Saturday, but it'd make for a fun trip.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
A class on CB ant tuning would be cool... It sucks my will to live being on a trail with peeps that squeak and squeal their way to my very soul... just sayin.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
kurt, do you have any ideas of a location/route that would work well? I thought it'd be cool to do:

Friday: Spiral Jetty/golden splike/railroad sites --> Lucin sun tunnels for the night
Saturday: Lucin --> pony express --> snakes...

That is a lot of ground to cover and if one plans to spend much time if any at any of the historical spots along the way. I think that much ground and the overnight contingent would lose some of the appeal for newbies wanting to learn.

A simple overnighter at Rattlesnake would be as better location imo. Friday night campfire classes on Tread Lightly and a quick overview (1hr) of the state of the state's land use situation. The story behind Wilderness, WSA's, LWWC's, etc. The RMP and motorized plan process and how the end user can make their input. Greatest threats to public lands, etc. Saturday could be broken down into 3-4 segments, each an hour. Recovery, vehicle build considerations, spotting/driving on RS, etc.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
A class on CB ant tuning would be cool... It sucks my will to live being on a trail with peeps that squeak and squeal their way to my very soul... just sayin.

Hey that would give me an excuse to finally install my CB and get it tuned. It was in the last TJ now it's just been sitting for a few years.

Maybe CB install and Tune class with mine:D:D:D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor

A segment on communications would be neat, a tuning session could take up its own Saturday getting everyone dialed in. Now that your a Toyota owner I'll let you know the next time the local LC club does a comm night, we have some total CB/amateur radio nut that have really helped our club get on the air :D

Total hi-jack but while CB's are the obvious status quo, if your finding yourself out on the trail often you should really spend a little extra time and a little extra time effort and get into a HAM setup. Far better range, reception and function. For $200 you can be ready to rock and roll.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Why not hit up the Swell for this one... Black Dragon Canyon would be good one?

In my opinion far more information is going to be taught in a controlled, single location close to home then trying to project this to a remote place. Your going to limit participants and volunteers by putting a 4 hour drive to the 'classroom' :D

Plus, when I'm in the Swell... I've got better things to do than sit around playing with recovery gear :p

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Just an idea... :D

How about noob run part 3. :chris:

I'll leave that up to Steve :D Scope creep on my end.

I offer customer trips such as Black Dragon/SRS and the Transcontinental/Lucin as an incentive to my customers. While we often use any available scenario to make someone feel more comfortable with their vehicle, their equipment and their skills... the point is just to get out, have fun and see some neat history and geography. The Swell is also a sensitive area with size and permits, part of the Tread Lightly message is realizing and mitigating your impact. Some areas are better done in a smaller intimate group setting.

SmokinCamel

Went from 80" to 125" :)
A segment on communications would be neat, a tuning session could take up its own Saturday getting everyone dialed in. Now that your a Toyota owner I'll let you know the next time the local LC club does a comm night, we have some total CB/amateur radio nut that have really helped our club get on the air :D

Total hi-jack but while CB's are the obvious status quo, if your finding yourself out on the trail often you should really spend a little extra time and a little extra time effort and get into a HAM setup. Far better range, reception and function. For $200 you can be ready to rock and roll.

Derek and I are looking into the HAM setup. Odds are we would be the only ones with them in our group, but the advantages of just having one is worth it. When a situation requires outside help like a medical evacuation, communication with the responders is vital when time is limited. Along with a plan to get the person to them. The terrain can make things a challenge. A HAM and a hand held GPS are probably the 2 modern equipment devices I would always have. Even if I know the area I'm in.