Plasma cutters- who what where

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Well I've come to the conclusion I need a plasma cutter. It needs to do at least 1/4 to 3/8 would be nice. Budget is around 1000 so what experiences do you guys have with them and where should I buy it from?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Christmas is comming, I will be watching this thread :)

I would look at both of these for sure

Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38
Miller Spectrum 375

both can be be delivered to your door for $1100

Tjjeepjunkie from Airgas is a vendor on this board, I bought my welder from him because he had the best price I can find, plus they have been very cool when I have called for questions. Have you looked at anything or concidered anything yet?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Jake @ Airgas. (Tjjeepjunkie as rusted said) I think they might have some you can try out and see what features you like or don't like--something you won't get from an online place. Even if you can find a better online price, they might be able to match it--worth checking, at any rate.

great scott

I just barley(Friday) bought the Miller 375 xtreme, and I love it so far. The extreem is the new inverter style 375. Cuts up to 1/2" and can switch from 120 volts to 240 just by unscrewing the end of the cord. Plus it all tucks into any easy to cary case. Cost me $1140. Feel free to check it out when ya come to Price to run trails Friday.

40_Below

I just barley(Friday) bought the Miller 375 xtreme, and I love it so far. The extreem is the new inverter style 375. Cuts up to 1/2" and can switch from 120 volts to 240 just by unscrewing the end of the cord. Plus it all tucks into any easy to cary case. Cost me $1140. Feel free to check it out when ya come to Price to run trails Friday.

I have the 375 extremes with the heavy duty case instock for $1250 shipped. $1140 is a smokin deal.

Last edited:

GOAT

Back from the beyond

Saw one of those at Praxair and they are pretty freakin sweet.

Is the extreme made by Hypertherm like the other Millers?

Check out IOC http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-SPECTRUM...QQihZ003QQcategoryZ113743QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

FWIW. You can't go wrong with Hypertherm or Thermal dynamics and even though mine has worked great up to 3/8, I wish I would have stepped up to a 40 amp unit.

-Marcus

Last edited by a moderator:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
This guy was selling them on POR for $500, says they'll do up to 5/8".-

http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/plasma/mitechp4x4.htm

I don't think he's selling them on POR anymore, but someone said they were on EBay.

Those look pretty good, but has anyone heard of "Mitech" brand? I'd wonder about the quality/reliability of an "off-brand" one. Also, availability of replacement consumables might be a factor--something you won't worry about if you have a more common brand.

Edit: Found it here on Ebay, buy-it-now for $430 with free shipping. :eek: That's cheap enough that it's almost worth gambling on the issues I mentioned above.....

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Those look pretty good, but has anyone heard of "Mitech" brand? I'd wonder about the quality/reliability of an "off-brand" one. Also, availability of replacement consumables might be a factor--something you won't worry about if you have a more common brand.

Here's the thread, somewhere in there he mentions all the other brand names that have interchangable parts. -

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455721

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Here's the thread, somewhere in there he mentions all the other brand names that have interchangable parts. -

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455721

I haven't seen any of those brands he mentions that have interchangeable parts in welding supply stores locally.....still, for $430 with free shipping, it's worth just ordering the $13 consumables kit and keeping your own stock on hand.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm on pirate quite a bit also and I saw that about a month ago. They have had quite a few complaints but some people love them. It's worth it to me to get something that isn't made in North Korea:eek:

You get what you pay for, especially in this case. As Carl said though, over 1/2 the price less that the name brand ones might make the gamble worth it. If you used it every now & again I could see buying the cheap one. If you're using it every weekend, definatley get a name brand machine. I'd probably save my pennies for the Thermal Dynamics, they seem to be quality P-cutters.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I bought my Hypterherm Powermax 600 from Airgas (TJJeepJunkie) for $1100? if I remember right.... I saw them cheaper on ebay, delivered to my door. But I would rather pay $100 more, to a local guy, than someone back east somewhere. Stay local and support our local guys, in the end you will be better off (service and support), IMO.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Yep, I'm planning on using it to clean off my new yj frame that is the start of the new buggy:D Then using it to cut all the brackets/tabs etc. Plus I'm tired of cutting disc and grinders. Plasma on the way! The hypotherm is the way I'm leaning

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Well I think I have decided to get the thermal dynamics cutmaster 38. 30 amps and will cut 3/8 no problem. Now just where to buy:confused: