Plastic Belly pans /Skid Plate Source?

midog

Just wondering where to get some of that plastic used for the belly? I need to get a 4x4 piece.

If anyone one has some for sale or knows a cheep place to get some please let me know!

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Laird Plastics or Regional Supply. It's UHMW sheet, if you ask for recycled it's a bit cheaper. (still not what I'd consider "cheap" though)

midog

What do you think a 4x4 1/2" piece woud weigh? I am trying to save weight over using 1/4" steel. But if i'm only going to save 20-30lbs maybe its not worth it?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You'll want to back it up with metal anyway, it doesn't hold it's shape super-well. It's best used for making the skid slicker, rather than functioning as a stand-alone skidplate.

midog

You'll want to back it up with metal anyway, it doesn't hold it's shape super-well. It's best used for making the skid slicker, rather than functioning as a stand-alone skidplate.

That makes sence! I thought it was more "structural" than that.

Would it be a bad idea to drill a few holes in the skid plate to lighten it up? Or would it catch too bad?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Holes drilled in the steel backer wouldn't be bad, but I'd think holes in the plastic would catch or tear the plastic.