Plastic Fuel Cell, Inside

Klif01

Do I bother you?
Someone got me thinking the other day. (uhoh) Anyway you know those signs at gas pumps that show how you are supposed to set the plastic gas jug on the ground to fill it (i guess it has some relation to static) Anyway I have a fuel cell that I haven't filled up yet, and am working on plumbing it, but it sits on the passenger side where the rear seat in my 4runner sat. Am I gonna blow up when I try to fill the ***** up?

RamToy

Wickha Wickha Wa
Theres a TV show called urban legends myths or something (i think this is where i heard this from)
They went through a bunch of legends that you hear about and always wonder about. One of them was "You need to shut your car off before you fill it up with gas because static elec. from your car could ignite a fire and blow you up to smithereens". They said they tested this theory and they couldnt get anything to ignite they even created some static and nothing would ignite.

I fill up my Race can all the time in the back of my truck and no 3rd degree burns for me.

GETBENT

CRASH
Klif01 said:
Someone got me thinking the other day. (uhoh) Anyway you know those signs at gas pumps that show how you are supposed to set the plastic gas jug on the ground to fill it (i guess it has some relation to static) Anyway I have a fuel cell that I haven't filled up yet, and am working on plumbing it, but it sits on the passenger side where the rear seat in my 4runner sat. Am I gonna blow up when I try to fill the ***** up?

Tim, sorry for the Hijack but what did you end up doing for a fuel pump? I'm ready to the the cell on my truck but I'm still not sure what pump to use?

Thanks

Fade2Black

Drinking bone
Scott,

I think Tim said he settled on a Celica fuel pump. I can't remember the year for sure, but it was something from the 80s.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
Nope, I was going to use the celica pump, but from my dealership it was 280, it was somthing like 120 or so from autozone. I finally came up with something from pirate, go anywhere and ask for an 89 F250 fuel pump, from checker its called E2000 or somthing like that. Barb fittings on both ends. Should work great. its not very big either!

GETBENT

CRASH
Klif01 said:
Nope, I was going to use the celica pump, but from my dealership it was 280, it was somthing like 120 or so from autozone. I finally came up with something from pirate, go anywhere and ask for an 89 F250 fuel pump, from checker its called E2000 or somthing like that. Barb fittings on both ends. Should work great. its not very big either!

Sweet, thanks for the info, I'll check into it.

GETBENT

CRASH
hey, another question Toyota Boy, the fuel cell that I'm looking at buying says that it has only ONE outlet fitting, Will this work ok for my truck that you know of?

Thanks

Caleb

GETBENT said:
hey, another question Toyota Boy, the fuel cell that I'm looking at buying says that it has only ONE outlet fitting, Will this work ok for my truck that you know of?

Thanks

you only need one OUTLET...generally for FI you need one outlet, one return, and one vent, you can add any or all of them after the fact if you wish...its just a bulk head fitting you can buy from Evco.

GETBENT

CRASH
Supergper said:
you only need one OUTLET...generally for FI you need one outlet, one return, and one vent, you can add any or all of them after the fact if you wish...its just a bulk head fitting you can buy from Evco.

Very cool, thats all I needed to know. Thank you much!

Scott

81Ramchargerman

My understanding is that the static electricity is caused by the fuel entering the jug, if you have a fuel cell in your truck, it should be no different than filling the tank of a regular truck, but yours is plastic...???

BOOM!!!

J/K, I wouldn't think you should have any problems...

And the Mythbusters one was to see if your cell phone could ignite it wasn't it?

Klif01

Do I bother you?
GETBENT said:

Thanks

Well, do you have a picture, I needed three fittings that were atached to the cell. There is one on top 6AN for the vent that goes to the canister, then two on the bottom at the sump, one is hooke to the fuel pump, the other to the return. I didn't buy a different cell becasue summit said they only had two fittings total.