please, my dog needs a good home!

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
if anybody can help, i have a 4 year old black lab red heeler mix that decided tonight that she doesn't like small children, so i have to get rid of her. she is kennel trained, house trained and she does do simple tricks. she gets along well with other dogs, and older kids and adults. she is fixed, current on all shots, and we registered her last month. she loves riding in the car, and being outside. she loves playing fetch and just running around and being active. she loves being in the mountains, my brother took her fishing in the uintas last year a couple times and he said she loved it. my mom (who doesn't like dogs) watched her this weekend while we were in moab and she said she was very well behaved and was nice to have around. she does bark when people walk by our fence (we are on a corner lot), but she is protective of our yard. she is very loving and affectionate to most people but kind of pushy around kids. i had to have the talk with kids tonight about why she has to go, that was not a very fun 1 hour sob fest. i will be taking her to the shelter tomorrow after work if nobody is interested, if anybody is interested, you can pm me or call 661-1174. she needs to be picked up tomorrow night or i might be able to deliver her. thanks, andy d

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
yeah, she bruised the arm of my 3 year old son. i don't know if she was trying to show superiority or what, but she has never done anything like this before. she has always been pretty hyper and she knocks the kids over unintentionally sometimes, but nothing like this. it was very scary. my son is immune deficient and is also allergic to penicilin, so he could have been in big trouble if the bite broke the skin. so we got pretty lucky and i can't risk it happening again. it's hard trying to give away part of the family, but my kids are more important. i have thought of putting her down, but she would be a good dog to an active older couple or something like that. i also have the "it's only a dog" feeling fighting the "it's been a good friend and family pet" feeling. do i have any other choices? could it be trained out of her or maybe beaten out of her? we came pretty close to that last night. she knows she did something wrong, but how do i know if she will do it again?

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
i am sorry to hear that. if it was my son i am sure it would have been his fault not the dogs, but we dont have the same concerns as you do.

as for having a hard time giving away part of the family, no problem here. i have been trying to give away my wife and kids for almost 3 years. i just cant find any takers :eek:

Rickomatic

Grey is cool!
EKSJAE said:
i am sorry to hear that. if it was my son i am sure it would have been his fault not the dogs, but we dont have the same concerns as you do.

as for having a hard time giving away part of the family, no problem here. i have been trying to give away my wife and kids for almost 3 years. i just cant find any takers :eek:

Someone is sleeping on the couch tonight is this gets read. :rofl:

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
Hey, I'll take the lab, in exchange for you taking my wife and HER 3 kids, I will keep ours. 'crawler is pretty cool, and usuall likes the rocks. Plus being in UT, 2 wives is cool............... :rofl: :rofl: :D :eek: :ugh:

On a more serious note, we, err, I had to put down my sharpei after he and the now 7 year old got into a pissing match over the xmas candy, Dec. 25. a couple years back, he has a scar, and I have bittersweet memories. I can feel your pain.

I thought I was gonna have a problem tonight the 4 yr old daughter had Z (our lab/border collie) mix by the collar and was giving her haymakers :eek:
But Zara showed her true colors and was taking it quietly, than goodness for that, stout dog, small child, deserved maybe, but would have sucked all the way around.

What the Heck do you do to combat that?

If I had only known stepparenting was going to be this complex, I would have
shot myself and got it over with.

Last edited:

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
i didn't get out of work early enough to take to the shelter last night, so i will probably have to do it on saturday. my wife was feeling really guilty about being so quick to judge and was thinking about giving another chance. that was until i had the dog in the garage with me and my son came out and just walked by her and she snarled at him and bore her teeth. so its a done deal. the dog is going. my wife thinks that she might be jealous of my son, but it doesn't matter, now i don't feel so bad either.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
if the dog has been fine with the kid for 3 years and is just starting to act out now the kid did something to the dog.no doubt .if the dog was jealous it would have been the first few weeks you had the child home from the hospital.it does happen thats why it's best to get a dog when you first have a new born .the dog will grow up to protect the child like nothing youve ever seen.

and it can be trained out of her/him it takes some doing but it can be done.good to see you are bring it to the pound .tell them what was up and they will run tests on the dog to see how aggressive the dog is before they give it up for adoption.

andy d

come on, give me a hug.
thanks for the info, i am definately going to be completely upfront about why i have to get rid of her in hopes that she can get a good home. tiny, if you are serious, how much time do you need?