Plinking Savage rifle... with or w/o Accutrigger?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
You might be able to swap your Savage barrel for a .17 Mach 2 barrel. www.savageshooters.com

:cool: I couldn't find the article/thread, but I know the Savage Mark II platform is built in 22LR and 17 HMR calibers. Perhaps down the road it would be nice to have both calibers, use the 22LR for honing my skills and the 17 HMR for really reaching out there during varminting.

Greg

Admin
So I took the rifle out today... I couldn't be happier! :D

I sighted in the scope, first starting at 25 yrds until I was hitting dead center on the target. I then moved it out to 100 yrds and was adjusting the scope again, to hit the center of the target. While I was still adjusting the scope at 100 yrds, something ran across the snow in the background! At about 150 yards there was a prairie dog! I took several shots, but wasn't having any luck, since I still didn't have the scope dialed in. I went back to dialing it in for 100 yards.

After quite a bit of target shooting at 100 yards, I moved my shooting table out to where I had my 100 yard targets. I was out in the desert and far from any roads and apparently the warm weather and sunshine had some of the prairie dogs out and about. I spent the next the next couple hours shooting at prairie dogs, most of them were 150-300 yards out and since I'm new to this with a new rifle, most of the dogs were safe. I ended up bagging a handful of them, all the kills were in the 150 yrd range by my guess. Any more than that and I had to 'lob' the bullets out there and the accuracy went downhill.

I was pretty happy with the results, it's a great little gun. The scope is amazing, I thought it would be overkill for the 22LR, but it's a perfect match. It's adjustability and magnifying power were ideal for varmint shooting! I ended up putting 250 rounds thru the gun today, 5 at a time. The bipod is nice, but I may have to look into a shooting bench for more accurate shooting at over 100 yards.

Greg

Admin
Any updates on the scope?

Working well and still dialed in at 100 yrds! I actually had the lil' Savage out 3 times in the last week, target shooting, blasting bunnies and prairie dogs.

I'm very happy with the scope, it works much better than expected for as cheap as it is. Matter of fact, I'll probably be buying another Center Point scope for my soon to be purchased Coyote rifle. :greg:

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I think full auto is overkill and might be fun just to try it once. I learned on a single shot old Mossberg and it was make the shot count or loose the game. When I got an automatic it was fun to see how far I could keep a can rolling.

Greg

Admin
Do tell! :D

- DAA

Well, first off I know nothing about coyote hunting, but after seeing 3 coyotes in a weeks time, including one in the desert just outside of Fruita, I'm interested in giving it a try. Time will tell how it turns out... my 'coyote' gun may just turn into a overkill prairie dog & bunny gun. :rofl:

I use the word overkill very generously, what I want is an inexpensive rifle that can reach out to 300 yards with decent accuracy. I'm not much of a marksman, but I figure being able to hit a clay pigeon at 300 yards should be attainable. That said, I have my eyes on a Stevens 200 in .223 caliber. I've been happy with this little Savage 22LR, so I think I'm going to stick with Savage rifles. The Stevens 200 can be had for about $320 new and from the research I've done, the stocks are a bit cheap & flimsy, but they're still the accurate rifles that Savage is known to build. Even with the flimsy stocks, they are easy to upgrade and you can buy a much better trigger for around $80.

I did look at a Remington 700, but for the money I think the Stevens will suite me well enough. While I'd love a 22-250 over a .223, it looks like I can shoot the .223 3x more than the 22-250 for the cost... and I'd like to do a lot of shooting, so keeping costs down sounds good to me.

Now I just have to find a Stevens 200 .223 to buy! Not too many people have them and Savage is currently out of stock. I'm looking, but don't want to spend too much!

Greg

Admin
Oh, something worth mentioning pertaining to the Savage 22LR...

I ordered 3, 10 round clips for the gun last week. The stock clip holds 5 and that's not quite enough IMO! I decided it would be nice to have a few 10 round clips to load up between re-loading. It took me some time to find them, finally had to buy them directly from Savage. I think they'll be a nice addition to the rifle!

mr_blove

ask me if I care
Have you looked at something like this?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700856308.html

Yeah the ammo may be a little more expensive but what a round, and if Impact Guns has it for this price you may be able to find it cheaper else where. We just gave away one of these at my work christmas party in .270 and I gotta say for the price it seemed like a nice rifle(although I didn't get to shoot it to find out) and it already comes with optics.

Greg

Admin
Have you looked at something like this?

http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700856308.html

Yeah the ammo may be a little more expensive but what a round, and if Impact Guns has it for this price you may be able to find it cheaper else where. We just gave away one of these at my work christmas party in .270 and I gotta say for the price it seemed like a nice rifle(although I didn't get to shoot it to find out) and it already comes with optics.

I have and honestly the cost of ammo per round is what spooks me from anything bigger than a .223! .243 ammo is comparable to 22-250 per round, and I'm not into reloading, so I'm not going to save any money either way.

But that is a good price, I just don't know much about the 770.

DAA

The Stevens you have chosen is about as good a choice for your stated goals and budget as you are going to get (in my opinion). And if you don't intend to reload, your thoughts on the economy of shooting a .223 are spot on too. Heck, even if you do intend to reload, the .223 is still the economical choice for what you are looking to do.

I really like Remington 700's, most of my rifles are built on 700 actions. But, personally, I would take the Stevens over a 770 for sure.

- DAA

Greg

Admin
The Stevens you have chosen is about as good a choice for your stated goals and budget as you are going to get (in my opinion). And if you don't intend to reload, your thoughts on the economy of shooting a .223 are spot on too. Heck, even if you do intend to reload, the .223 is still the economical choice for what you are looking to do.

I really like Remington 700's, most of my rifles are built on 700 actions. But, personally, I would take the Stevens over a 770 for sure.

- DAA

Good to hear Dave, I appreciate your opinion! Thanks for weighing in. :cool:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I LOVE my Savage .223! I may be able to help you find one Greg, just tell me how much you want to spend. I see the Savage version from time to time w/ scopefor a decent price.