Pole Line Pass-American Fork-Winter

trackhead

First real day out in the enclosed Samurai on tracks. Haven't finished the enclosure quite yet, but it's finished enough to use. Cab was nice and toasty, comfy ride, good snow performance.
  • Next year it gets ghetto lockers (mini-spool)
  • Need to re-fab the track/hub spacers to get rid of some wobble.
  • Average speed was 10-12mph up the road at 3,000rpm
  • Downhill top speed was 20+, but didn't feel smart to go faster with wife/kid.
  • Running stock motor, 4.1 t-case gears. Plenty of power. Only use 4-lo when it's really deep and steep, otherwise 1-3rd of 4-Hi.
Lazy, so pics/vid here.
http://www.fritzrips.com/2012/02/24/samurai-ski-day/

DSCF1121.jpg

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
Hmmm, fully enclosed, heater... This definitely looks like a nice way to spend time outdoors in the winter :thumbs:

zukijames

Sweet we were going to use a snow cat to come pull us out once but the area we were in he could not get to the tracks walk off so it's awesome yours don't ..

Did you enjoy it not being open this time?

trackhead

have you ever had it stuck? Way cool concept.

No, but I've only used it twice. The key is as soon as it sinks, or a track spins, STOP and reverse. Dig a hole and you're in trouble.

I'd like to get a winch, because I think it's something that could really save your ass. But all that crap adds weight, which just further inhibits deep snow performance. All in all, for 98% of the stuff I want to do, it's just fine with open-differentials and no winch. The big fear would be side hilling and slipping a track off the road if you were on a narrow or drifted road.

trackhead

Nice, I think that's the closest a samurai will ever come to being cool :D That would be pretty fun.

If being cool was my priority, I'd by a new, shiny FJ with a winch that would never get used with a hi-jack close by, some ARB stickers, a roof top tent, then cruise up and down Main Street in Moab until somebody noticed me, or make my big expedition down Gemini Bridges.;)

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
Is the rear of that made so you can stay the night in it. I noticed some sleeping bags and what may be a cot on the drivers side. Where is Pole line Pass? I am not familiar with it.

trackhead

Is the rear of that made so you can stay the night in it. I noticed some sleeping bags and what may be a cot on the drivers side. Where is Pole line Pass? I am not familiar with it.

Yes, it has a removable roof which will eventually be a pop top. No cot in there.

Pole Line Pass is accessed from Snake Creek out of Midway, or Tibble Fork.