Possible purchase of a Ford 7.3 liter Diesel. Anything I should Watch for.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I am thinking about purchasing a used truck to tow jeep with and general use. Will most likely only be used to tow and get me back and forth to work 3 days a week during the winter. Things in my price range seem to be the Ford 7.3 liters. I have been told to stay away from automatic trannys so am searching for a manual. I think the 94-98s I have the 5 speed and the 98-2003 have the 6 speed. Is there anything I should keep a look out for that tends to have problems. Any feed back is appreciated.

littlyota

I have a 7.3 auto with 185k miles. If you find an auto, just find out what has been done too it.

with that said, that many miles has small problems like it or not. Next big thing will be tranny or turbo.

the pro's cheap, easy to fix with tons of aftermarket support.

I have no desire to sale mine but not sure I would buy one with that many miles. I think the intercooler was stock on the 99 and later model, don't get one with out it.

just my .02

kmboren

Most of the ones I am looking at do have higher miles around 175000-230000. I understand I will have some small things to replace just curious if there was a problem that I really needed to be on the look out for. How many miles do these truck go if they are well maintained?

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I would expect 300 to 400k easy. Love my 2001 with 134k. I have just done typical stuff like suspension and brakes. Typical cps also.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Great trucks :cool: As for fords diesels: 83-87 were 6.9 IDI's, 88-95 were 7.3 IDI's, 94.5-97 were 7.3 Powerstrokes and 99-03 were 7.3 Powerstrokes in the Superduty platform.

It sounds like you're looking at the 94-97's so I'll leave the Superduty's out of this. I would have ZERO problem buying a high mileage 7.3 in the 97 and older chassis if everything checked out okay. I know many people with well over 250k on these trucks (one friend has a 96 with 780k last I saw it :eek:) and still going as strong as ever. The auto trans is finicky but it can be upgraded to be very stout if you have some money to dump into it... The ZF5 (five speed manual) is great, but the dual mass flywheels can be a headache. Most have been converted to single mass by now, but you never know.

Some of my recommendations are: change the oil every 3-4k miles and use a quality filter. Not only is the engine dependent on clean oil, but so is the injection system on all 7.3 Powerstrokes. Keep a trickle charger on the batteries if its going to sit for long periods of time. On manual trans trucks check the firewall where the clutch master cylinder is. It is not uncommon for the firewall to crack here and make the clutch petal weak. There are aftermarket fixes for this, but they are time consuming to instal. Keep an eye out for an F350 for the solid front Dana 60 axle. The TTB D50 is not bad especially for a toy hauler, but there are a lot of moving parts and they can cost a lot to rebuild if they've been neglected. Glow plug health is the difference between someone who loves or hates their PSD... Replacing them isn't a hard job just be sure to use Motorcraft plugs and nothing else. As for intercoolers they could always benefit from one I don't consider them to be a deal breaker. If you chip it and add bigger injectors/turbo then it really becomes necessary, but in stock form (or +75ish HP) I wouldn't loose sleep over it). I've heard of issues with the steering gearbox shafts stripping out, but I've only seen it happen once so I don't know how big of an issue it really is.... On a brighter note Ford sold thousands of these trucks over the years so replacement parts used or new are everywhere :cool:

I would start a thread on power stroke nation, oil burners or power stroke. org and ask for recommendations there. The LAST thing you want to do is buy a PSD because it was cheap or a fixer upper. Take your time, spend extra if you have to and get one that isn't neglected, hotrodded, pulled way too much weight for way to long or owned by a wannabe street racer and you'll be good to go. Service history is icing on the cake but sadly few people ever keep track of it :-\

Despite popular rumors/myths (they suck, they're gutless, they're unreliable, they don't start in the cold etc...) I would not rule out a clean turbo IDI. I LOVE mine for many reasons and its one of the best diesel trucks I've ever owned. Anyway I hope this helps. I was far from a Ford fan until I bought one... They aren't perfect, but neither is anything else lol.

Andrew

Last edited:

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
go to dieselbombers.com and they have a section for each of the fords (as well as dodge and chev) and there is a section of what to look for and what to run from...

kmboren

I am considering the 99-03 also as these come stock with an Intercooler. I understand that you can upgrade the 94-97 to put one in but I would rather not if I can help it. I guess it all comes down to what I find and if the miles and price are right. Sounds like people have not had that bad of experience with the autos but I still think I would fell better with the manual. Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far.

Last edited:

pELYgroso

'Merica
I have a '95 PSD F350 manual. I LOVE it! it has about 240k on it and it still runs like it was brand new. I've had to change the alternator and batteries, and a couple other normal wear items, but it has been a solid rig for me. I bought it a year ago at 214k. 25k is a lot to drive in a year, but it's never failed me. Don't be scared of the non-intercooled engines unless it's been chipped and hot-rodded. Mine is stock and I plan to keep it that way. Possibly exhaust and intake, but no chip. My dad bought a '96 psd w auto tranny off the showroom floor and still has it. He's rebuilt the tranny once, and the glowplugs a handfull of times, and other wear items, and it runs like a champ! (has around 180k) I just got back from St. george w/ a MASSIVE old and heavy truck bed camper in my bed full of tools and parts, pulling my 4runner on a flatbed trailer and it ran great! Got around 12mpg's! Had to downshift a dozen times up the bigger hills to keep it up to 60mph, but pulled strong around 65-75 the rest of the way in 5th. FYI, I paid around 8k for mine after getting a couple small leaks fixed and feel like I got a fair deal. I had seen them for a little cheaper, but I held out for the manual. Mine doesn't have a dent on it and had just had the one piece flywheel and a Luk clutch installed. (long bed crew cab) Let us know what you find! There are a lot of BEAT UP 7.3's that come up for sale but hold out for a nice one and it will treat you right!

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I have a 94 IDI, turbo..It will rarely start when cold, but I think I have some bad glow plugs.. It does what I need it to do, but is a bit slower at it than the newer trucks..
We usually pull about 45 up most of the climbs through hwy 6 to moab (about 8k lbs load) I get about 8-10mpg when I have a wind catching camper on, and about 12mpg pulling a trailer with jeep. I have the auto trani and feel like the gearing is spaced to far apart. I rev up in one gear and bog in the next (but I felt the same with my manual) Reverse is way to high geared! I can over heat the trani trying to back up with a heavy trailer on a slight include.. I usually use low gears in that situation..
Over all I think for the price you can pay, the amount of room, and the reliability that it's a good truck, and for a good price (I paid only $1300 for mine!) I would buy it all over again.

Venture13

Gas mileage not so great, fuel price high. Expensive oil changes, weak transmissions, unit bearings bad. Vaccum hubs fail, glow plugs a big pain to change. Stock boost boots leak, turbo flutter and hard shifts with programmer. Check carrier bearing on driveshaft, inner parking brake shoes wear if left on. Try to get one with no lift and no programmer.

Good luck..

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
thats a heck of a good price. Even being 2wd.

I wish I had more time I would go check it out for you but I dont have 5 minutes to spare the next month.

I have a 03 with 207k miles. I expect to get at least 300 out of the motor.

Biggest thing with powerstrokes in my opinion is keeping the oil changed.

littlyota

I have a 2002 7.3 with an auto. About 195k miles. Still on the original tranny. Slightly lifted with an edge programmer. I have a few other mods as well. For the tranny, I put in a Ford tripple disk convertor at 100k, replaced the sonic valve and put a shift kit in the valve body. It will shift hard when loaded, but I try to let off and not let it hit so hard. The tranny's are expensive to replace, $3,000 plus for a decent one.

I have changed the alt., batteries, glow plugs, and probably 5 front wheel bearings. I seem to eat them for dinner. I carry a spare in the truck, just in case. I hate being stranded.

I personally would not buy one with over 200k, but you could not pry mine out of my hands. I love it. I will drive it till the wheels fall off, then put them back on. I actually kind of excited to see what I can out of it. Hopefully 500k plus.

if your looking for one then you have already seen mine then on ksl , i have 237 k and running strong it has it qwirks but which make/model doesnt , im a dodge guy , but , even though its for sale , everytime i drive it i dont want to sell it , asking 3500 obo 94f350 dually , speaking of carrier bearings that is what it needs hahaha , its funny how these things get a hold of you , alot of guys wont get rid of them again mine is up for grabs but i find my self just mossying along about the sale.....

Toad

I have a 1996 f-250. Bought with 170K. Replaced original tranny right after I chipped it at 190k. I have replaced Alternator, starter, water pump, front brakes, glow plug relay a couple times. It now has 210k on it. Pull the intake boot at the turbo check for play in the shaft and pitting in the wheel. Remove the oil cap flip it up side down and set it on the oil fill hole with it running to check for blowby. Cap should stay put. Next for me to do is injectors, HPOP, turbo. I expect 400K on the truck.

kmboren

if your looking for one then you have already seen mine then on ksl , i have 237 k and running strong it has it qwirks but which make/model doesnt , im a dodge guy , but , even though its for sale , everytime i drive it i dont want to sell it , asking 3500 obo 94f350 dually , speaking of carrier bearings that is what it needs hahaha , its funny how these things get a hold of you , alot of guys wont get rid of them again mine is up for grabs but i find my self just mossying along about the sale.....

I saw yours but I am really wanting a quad cap for the convince of hauling my family around with out having to move seats and for my family comfort. Plus I am looking into a trade rather than a cash sell. I would not mind the dually just need the Extra Doors. The powerstoke is an added bonus also.