Post up your attorney jokes

KWight

The local game warden in a small town in Oregon had arrested a man for killing and eating an Egret. The man went before a judge to plead his case. After pleading guilty, but with an explanation, the judge asked him why he did it.
"I was just trying to feed my hungry family," he told the judge, "and I've never done anything like that before."
The judge, being a family man himself, had a soft heart and agreed to let the man go free, since he was only trying to feed his starving family and it was his first and only offense.
"Before you go, though, I want to ask you a question," the judge quipped, "What does Egret taste like?"
"Well your Honor," the man told him, "Its not as tender as Spotted Owl but its better than Bald Eagle!"

At the height of a political corruption trial, the prosecuting attorney attacked a witness. "Isn't it true," he bellowed, "that you accepted five thousand dollars to compromise this case?"
The witness stared out the window as though he hadn't hear the question.
"Isn't it true that you accepted five thousand dollars to compromise this case?" the lawyer repeated.
The witness still did not respond.
Finally, the judge leaned over and said, "Sir, please answer the question."
"Oh," the startled witness said, "I thought he was talking to you."

Taking his seat in his chambers, the judge faced the opposing lawyers. "So," he said, "I have been presented, by both of you, with a bribe." Both lawyers squirmed uncomfortably. "You, attorney Leon, gave me $15,000. And you, attorney Campos, gave me $10,000."
The judge reached into his pocket and pulled out a check. He handed it to Leon ... "Now then, I'm returning $5,000, and we're going to decide this case solely on its merits."

A young lawyer was defending a wealthy businessman in a complicated lawsuit. Unfortunately, the evidence was against his client, and he feared the worst. So the lawyer asked the senior partner of the law firm if it would be appropriate to send the judge a box of Havana cigars.
The partner was horrified. "The judge is an honorable man," the partner exclaimed. "If you do that, I can guarantee you will lose the case!"
Weeks later the judge ruled in favor of the lawyer's client. The partner took him to lunch to congratulate him. "Aren't you glad you didn't send those cigars to the judge?", the partner asked.
"But I did send them," replied the lawyer. "I just enclosed the plaintiff's lawyer's business card!"

Carlson was charged with stealing a Mercedes Benz, and after a long trial, the jury acquitted him. Later that day Carlson came back to the judge who had presided at the hearing.
"Your honour," he said, "I wanna get out a warrent for that dirty lawyer of mine."
"Why ?" asked the judge. "He won your acquittal. What do you want to have him arrested for?"
"Well, your honour," replied Carlson, "I didn't have the money to pay his fee, so he went and took the car I stole."

http://www.workjoke.com/justice.gif A red-faced judge convened court after a long lunch. The first case involved a man charged with drunk driving who claimed it simply wasn't true.
"I'm as sober as you are, your honor," the man claimed.
The judge replied, "Clerk, please enter a guilty plea. The defendant is sentenced to 30 days."

A New York man was forced to take a day off from work to appear for a minor traffic summons. He grew increasingly restless as he waited hour after endless hour for his case to be heard.
When his name was called late in the afternoon, he stood before the judge, only to hear that court would be adjourned for the next day and he would have to return the next day.
"What for?" he snapped at the judge.
His honor, equally irked by a tedious day and sharp query roared, "Twenty dollars contempt of court. That's why!"
Then, noticing the man checking his wallet, the judge relented. "That's all right. You don't have to pay now."
The man replied, "I'm just seeing if I have enough for two more words."

The Judge admonished the witness, "Do you understand that you have sworn to tell the truth?"
"I do."
"Do you understand what will happen if you are not truthful?"
"Sure," said the witness. "My side will win."

The Judge asked the defendant, "Mr. Jones ,do you understand that you have sworn to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?"
"I do."
"Now what do you say to defend yourself?"
"Your Honor, under those limitations... nothing."

The judge said to his dentist: "Pull my tooth, the whole tooth and nothing but the tooth."

Judge: "Have you anything to offer to this Court before I pass sentence?"
Defendant: "No your honor, my lawyer took every penny."

Judge: "Is it true that you owe your neighbor a thousand dollars?"
Defendant: "Yes, it's true."
Judge: "Then, why don't you just pay him back?"
Defendant: "Because it wouldn't be true anymore."

People who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either being made.

A young woman was appearing in court to face a public disorder charge. The charges were read out, and she was asked how she pleaded. "Not guilty," the woman answered emphatically.
The prosecution council then approached the woman and said: "Is it true that on the 11th of December, last year, you committed an act of gross indecency with a one-legged dwarf - who was waving a union jack - on the roof of a car, whilst travelling at over 100mph through the center of London, in a blizzard?"
The woman composed herself, looked straight at the prosecution council and calmly said: "What was the date again?"

http://www.workjoke.com/judgebar.gif A prosecuting attorney called his first witness, a grandmotherly, elderly woman, to the stand. He approached her and asked, "Mrs. Jones, do you know me?"
She responded, "Why, yes, I do know you Mr. Williams. I've known you since you were a young boy. And frankly, you've been a big disappointment to me. You lie, you cheat on your wife, you manipulate people and talk about them behind their backs. You think you're a rising big shot when you haven't the brains to realize you never will amount to anything more than a two-bit paper pusher. Yes, I know you."
The lawyer was stunned. Not knowing what else to do he pointed across the room and asked, "Mrs. Williams, do you know the defense attorney?"
She again replied, "Why, yes I do. I've known Mr. Bradley since he was a youngster, too. I used to baby-sit him for his parents. And he, too, has been a real disappointment to me. He's lazy, bigoted, he has a drinking problem. The man can't build a normal relationship with anyone and his law practice is one of the shoddiest in the entire state. Yes, I know him."
At this point, the judge rapped the courtroom to silence and called both counselors to the bench. In a very quiet voice, he said with menace, "If either of you asks her if she knows me, you'll be jailed for contempt!"

Prosecutor: Did you kill the victim?
Defendant: No, I did not.
Prosecutor: Do you know what the penalties are for perjury?
Defendant: Yes, I do. And they're a hell of a lot better than the penalty for murder.

Courtroom Q & A
Q: All your responses to the questions must be oral. Do you understand?
A: Yes
Q: What school did you attend in the fall of 1995?
A: Oral.

Q. Are you married?
A. No, I'm divorced.
Q. And what did your husband do before you divorced him?
A. A lot of things I didn't know about.

Q: Your first marriage was terminated by death?
A: Yes, by death.
Q: And by whose death was it terminated?

Q: You stated that the stairs went down to the basement, is that correct?
A: Yes.
Q: And these same stairs, did the also go up?

Q: What is your relationship with the plaintiff?
A: She is my daughter.
Q: Was she your daughter on February 13, 1979?

Q: Doctor, how many autopsies have you performed on dead people?
A: All my autopsies are on dead people.

When you go to court, you are trusting your fate to twelve people that weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty!

Jury: Twelve men and women trying to decide which party has the best lawyer.
Justice: A decision in your favor.

Cross-examination Revisited
http://www.workjoke.com/arrow-y.gif "Now, your youngest son, the twenty-year old, how old is he?"
http://www.workjoke.com/arrow-y.gif "Were you alone, or by yourself?"
http://www.workjoke.com/arrow-y.gif "Were you present when your picture was taken?"
http://www.workjoke.com/arrow-y.gif "Was it you or your younger brother who was killed in the accident?"
http://www.workjoke.com/arrow-y.gif "Did he kill you?"
http://www.workjoke.com/arrow-y.gif "How far apart were the vehicles at the time of the collision?"
http://www.workjoke.com/arrow-y.gif "You were there until the time you left, is that true?"
http://www.workjoke.com/arrow-y.gif "How many times have you committed suicide?"

How many judges does it take to change a light bulb?
http://www.workjoke.com/bulb.gif Just one; he holds it still and the whole world revolves around him.
http://www.workjoke.com/bulb.gif Just one, but two lawyers have to explain him how to do it.
http://www.workjoke.com/bombt.gif

X

XT Utah

How about some real-life lawyering....

Meredith Berkman, seeking $50 million, filed one of the first anti-fat lawsuits against the manufacturer of a snack food named Pirate's Booty. It looks like eating too much Pirate's Booty had added too much booty to Ms. Berkman's booty.

In December, 2001, the Good Housekeeping Institute tested Pirate's Booty, which is basically flavored puffed rice, and found that it contained 147 calories and 8.5 grams of fat, while its label said it contained only 120 calories and 2.5 grams of fat.

The manufacturer, Robert's American Gourmet Foods (a subsidiary of Keystone Foods), blamed the problem on a change in its manufacturing process and immediately recalled the product from store shelves.

Nearly four months after the recall, Berkman filed a $50 million class-action lawsuit against Robert's Foods, claiming "emotional distress" and "weight gain...mental anguish, outrage and indignation." The complaint claims to represent all consumers who ruined their diets and had to spend more time at the gym because they ate mislabeled Pirate's Booty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Montana man has sued media giant Viacom, saying the MTV show "Jackass" plagiarized his name, infringed on the trademark and copyright o his name and defamed his good character.

The plaintiff's name is Jack Ass. That's right, that is now his legal name. He changed his name from Bob Craft to Jack Ass in 1997, he says, in order to raise awareness about the dangers of drunken driving.

"Jackass," which premiered on MTV in 2000, features a group of guys performing ludicrous and sometimes dangerous stunts. It was made into a movie in 2002.

In the suit against Viacom, which owns MTV, Jack Ass claims the conglomerate "is liable for injury to my reputation that I have built and defamation of my character which I have worked so hard to create."

This Jack Ass, not to be confused with the TV version, says he changed his name after his brother and a friend were killed in a single-vehicle car accident several years ago. He now works to promote responsible choices and designated-driver programs.

He claims that "Jackass" committed "trademark and copyright infringement on my legal name" and on a cartoon character, called Andi Ass, that he created to help spread his message.

He's seeking at least $10 million in damages.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The parents of a man found naked and dead on the back of a killer whale at SeaWorld Orlando are suing the marine park, alleging the dangerous orca was portrayed as a huggable stuffed toy, according to a lawyer representing the family.

Patricia and Michael Dukes of Columbia, S.C., filed suit September 10, 1999 in Orange County Circuit Court seeking several million dollars for pain and suffering at the loss of their only son, Daniel, 27, a drifter who drowned in July in a whale tank at the Florida theme park.

Attorney Patricia Sigman said SeaWorld is legally liable because it portrayed the killer whale as human loving.

After the naked corpse of Daniel Dukes was found in a tank with a killer whale at Florida's SeaWorld, park officials determined that he had drowned after slipping past security and trying to swim with the whale.

Claiming that the park should warn visitors that the animal could kill people who enter the water -- aside from referring to it as ``killer'' whale -- just doesn't hold water, does it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The California Supreme Court in August of 2002 made it more difficult for bystanders to sue physicians for emotional distress.

The case, Bird v. Saenz, stemmed from a Nov. 30, 1994, incident in Los Angeles County hospital.

On that day, Janice Bird, the adult daughter of Nita Bird, brought her mother to the hospital for outpatient surgery.

About an hour to 90 minutes into the surgery, something went wrong with the procedure. About that same time, one of Bird's sisters arrived at the hospital. The two daughters then witnessed doctors rushing their mother to emergency surgery.

According to court papers, Janice Bird saw her mother "being rushed down the hallway." Nita Bird was bright blue and her bed was on an angle so that her head was almost touching the ground.

The daughters sued, NOT for malpractice, but because they had to witness the incident. These women sued the doctors and the hospital -- the same doctors who were rushing to assist their mother -- for causing emotional distress to THEM.

The case went all the way to the California Supreme Court, where the court ruled against the girls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bennie Casson filed a lawsuit in Belleville, Ill., against PT's Show Club for its negligence in allowing a stripper to "slam" her breasts into his "neck and head region" as he watched her, a little too close to the stage.

Casson claims in his lawsuit that dancer Susan Sykes (aka "Busty Heart"), who claims to have show business's biggest chest at 88 inches, gave him a "bruised, contused, lacerated" neck.

Carson has filed suit claiming that the "gifted" performer slammed her breasts into his head and neck, causing "emotional distress, mental anguish and indignity."

The $200,000 lawsuit states that Carson was "bruised, contused, lacerated and made sore" by Heart's breasts, which reportedly weigh in at 40 pounds apiece.