potato salad hill ?

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
I went to moab yesterday and the turn off to the land fill and the hill are fenced off. THey moved the land fill gate to the top of the hill. And all the camping spots on the other side of the road by lions back was all fenced and posted closed. So my question is, When did this happen? And Why?

GETBENT

CRASH
crapmanche4l said:
I went to moab yesterday and the turn off to the land fill and the hill are fenced off. THey moved the land fill gate to the top of the hill. And all the camping spots on the other side of the road by lions back was all fenced and posted closed. So my question is, When did this happen? And Why?

So is this all true? is all this area including Potatoe Salad hill closed for sure during the big week? or even forever?

fastdrmr

We were down there 3 weeks ago and drove to Potato Salad Hill. The gate to the dump is on the main road, closer to town but the road is wide open.

As mentioned, the camping area is now fully fenced off. After finishing Hell's Revenge last fall we ended up inside this enclosed area with no openings anywhere. Eventually backtracked to the gate just past the last drop offs and wrapped around the enclosed "camping" area. Also, I noticed that the Lion's Back Campground and fin were up for sale. If I remember correctly it was listed at $825k! Now that would be quite the project... A developement/resort spot!

GETBENT

CRASH
So it still seems like we don't have a real clear answer, I havn't been able to find any other info on this. Anyone?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
There was a thread not too long ago about the lease being purchased and the developer was planning on putting a hotel up there....

Cody

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
fastdrmr said:
We were down there 3 weeks ago and drove to Potato Salad Hill. The gate to the dump is on the main road, closer to town but the road is wide open.

As mentioned, the camping area is now fully fenced off. After finishing Hell's Revenge last fall we ended up inside this enclosed area with no openings anywhere. Eventually backtracked to the gate just past the last drop offs and wrapped around the enclosed "camping" area. Also, I noticed that the Lion's Back Campground and fin were up for sale. If I remember correctly it was listed at $825k! Now that would be quite the project... A developement/resort spot!
huh well thats cool Tater salad is still open, sucks about the camping though.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
You know it's funny, I've been mentioning these things on this forum for months now, but no one seems to know about it.

Potato Salad Hill is not closed, nothing about it is changed from last year.

The area some of you are referring to as the camping area is newly fenced off, but has been closed for more than two years now. Signs apparently didn't work, so it got fenced. It is a SITLA property that is going to be sold off or leased in the near future.

There was mention of Lion's Back campground being for sale, again nothing new, it's been for sale for at least 3 years & has had the sign out there all that time. This property is on a SITLA lease with approximately 80 years left in the lease period. It includes the Dump Bump. Potential closure of Dump Bump is going to be up to any future purchaser of the lease.

Lion's Back itself is not part of the property, never has been, but to get to it you have to cross the property. Access to it may be cut off at the request of local authorities will full cooperation from the campground ownership.