power inverter of choice?

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
Usually the watt rating is a max rating that can only be used for short spikes. Mine is smallish, probably 400 watts, and I can use it to charge my laptop, and cell phones, run the kids DVD player, etc. I don't think it would run an air compressor. But there are lots of the little ememgency air compressors that will just plug into a DC jack, if you want to use it for air I would just pick a little DC air compressor and not bother with an inverter

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Look at the compressor and find its peak watts specification, determine your needs from there. What are you using the compressor for? Why not get a 12V compressor and eliminate the complicity and net loss of transferring power through a inverter.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Look at the compressor and find its peak watts specification, determine your needs from there. What are you using the compressor for? Why not get a 12V compressor and eliminate the complicity and net loss of transferring power through a inverter.

I'll probably do that, any suggestions on the 12v compressors?

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Q Industries MV50. I just bought one off Amazon today for around $50. A few magazines have done comparisons/evaluations and this one is pretty heavy duty and fast for the price.

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Oh, and I have a question on inverters: My friend had one installed in his 4runner and it caused alot of intereference and noise in the stereo speakers. Is this normal, or was it just installed poorly?

ricsrx

I have gone thru about 4 or 5, I would only run electronics with them and get the biggest one you can afford, if you start pushing the edge of its capabilities it wont last long. The last three i have purchased from walmart, the brands have all ways been different but it always is the lowest price, always. wow i should be a greeter, that blue vest would look cool.
the plus to wallmart is the warrenty, and there is one in every town.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I have a Vector, 700 watt (1400 peak).
I've ran a lot of things off of it like drills, grinders, camcorders and computers, sawzall, radio, blender, trouble light, electric impact gun, etc.

So far the only thing it wouldn't run is my vacuum (It seemed like a good idea at the time...) :-\

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I've thought about that one before. What about it you don't like?

It would charge my cell phone ok, but it would pop the breaker after a few seconds of the laptop plugged into it. Not a chance to run a small fan or anything else. Maybe someone else will get lucky, but for me it was a typical broken before it left the store Harbor Freight purchase

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I have a cobra 800 w/1600 w peak that I got at a flying J in colorado for $49 that has done me wonders...

If you need to know the wattage of a certain tool or appliance... here is the formula to use

P=IE where as P is the wattage and I is the current (amps) and E is the voltage usually 12v dc... so you should know the voltage and most everything that runs on some sort of power will have the current value on its tag.... so you can find the wattage...

BLH

I would go with least 1200 watt but it really depends on what you are going to use if for. Also if you going use it to extreme, you will need dual battery setup. I had 400 watt witch was good lights TV, camping, Had breaker trip with power tools, which was main reason I got it.

Corban_White

As far as compressors go, this one works VERY well and the price is great. I have had it for over 2 years and the only problem is the gauge, which hasn't worked since I bought it.