Powerblock TV and Extreme 4x4

chadr

I had recorded Extreme 4x4 this weekend and while I was watching, Courtney Hansen told about a Paragon Adventure park in Pensylvania that is threatened by land use closures. They had a place online that you could sign a petition to keep it open. Here is the link to the site.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/savePAP

Who knows about online petitions that could tell me if they actually work or not? From what it says, I saw over 7000 names on the petition that were for keeping it open.

Has anyone from our local land use associations contacted one of these programs like extreme 4x4 or trucks to see if they would support our causes? It looks like these guys were able to have their name out on national television to broadcast their cause.

I am pretty new to the whole land use protection idea, but I am willing to try. Any input from the pro's?

Yes, I did, and that's why they did the Paragon Park announcement. According to the email conversation I had with the shows producer, they will be focusing more time on land use. But we will see. It's too late for Paragon Park, but hopefully they will be open to helping out with future land use issues.

Steve – Looks like we’re not too late in giving a shout to Paragon in support of this great NE facility. Let your constituents know that our Powerblock host Courtney Hansen will go on National TV to promote the www.saveparagonap.com web site, and also offer up an online petition of sorts in efforts to show support for the off-road community.

This will air on Spike TV at the very start of Xtreme 4x4 – Sunday, April 1, Noon ET – repeats Saturday, April 7th @ 1pm ET.

Tom Spychalski

Producer / Director, Xtreme 4x4

RTM Productions

130 SE Parkway Court

Franklin, TN 37064

615-598-5867

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 2:09 AM
To: xtreme
Subject: RE: Your Response to the Paragon Park Issue

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I certainly wasn’t bashing your show.

I would encourage you to extend your support of public land use beyond SAN to groups solely dedicated to the cause. While SAN has contributed to the land use battle, other groups are more effective, more targeted, and in need of more support.

I encourage all off-road enthusiasts in media and entertainment to devote more resources and coverage to land use issues. Your market is facing potential extinction within the next 25 years if things continue at the current pace. This might sound like hyperbole, but unfortunately it is not. Private parks will never be able to replace the access available on public lands across the country. We are losing this access at an astonishing rate, and more people need to be aware of the danger our form of recreation is facing.

I am glad to hear that you will consider adding more land use coverage to your broadcast. Please consider my offer to be perpetually open if I can ever be of any assistance in providing resources for public land access related stories.

Steve Jackson

President, Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association

801-376-3332

steve@u4wda.org

http://www.u4wda.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 5:59 PM
To: Steve Jackson
Subject: FW: Your Response to the Paragon Park Issue

You’re right Steve. We will start dedicating some air time to land use issues. Thank you for the great suggestion. But may we suggest that instead of spending time bashing a television show regarding a post that was meant as a voice of support, that you direct your energy towards local, state, and federal legislators.

We didn’t take this couples’ land away from them, don’t blame us. Furthermore, yes, you don’t know who we are, or that we are proud supporters of the SEMA Action Network – which is the aftermarket industries watchdog on many issues, including the preservation of public land for off-road uses.

Frankly, I’m surprised that a man in your position would be distracted from the Paragon thread topic – enough to complain to a television show whose goal and sole purpose is to bring the off road community to the forefront.

Tom Spychalski

Producer / Director, Xtreme 4x4

RTM Productions

130 SE Parkway Court

Franklin, TN 37064

Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 4:20 PM
To: Tom Spychalski
Subject: FW: Your Response to the Paragon Park Issue

Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:04 PM
To: Power Block Tv
Subject: Your Response to the Paragon Park Issue

To Whom It May Concern:

I recently saw a message regarding the Paragon Park closure that was submitted by someone representing your company.

The full text of the message:

We have read your posts, and articles related to Paragon's land issues. And although we sympathize, emailing us your concerns unfortunately won't do much good. Email your state senators! Looks like Times Leader's Steve Mocarsky is knee deep in an investigation that has definitely unturned some "slippery stones." Good luck to him and all involved.

And if all goes well, we'll be up there for a visit this season. Until then, watch the show this weekend on Spike to help take your mind off this mess for a half hour or so!

Cheers...
Xtreme 4x4 - RTM Productions.

I'm sure it wouldn't be appropriate to get deeply involved in this issue, but wouldn't it be good business to devote a few seconds of airtime to this and other land use issues? When there are no places left to wheel, there will be no more wheelers to watch your show or buy from your sponsors.

The big companies in the offroad industry understand this very well. They provide product, donations, and grants to clubs and organizations working on land use issues.

Given another chance, I'm sure your response might have been worded differently. Many responses have indicated that the crassness of this message has driven them away from supporting your television programs.

Some businesses and offroad related media seem to be very quick to go to Moab and film/photograph on the trails, but too many of them aren't actively involved in supporting the legal standing of these and other trails.

I'm not entirely familiar with your company, or how you might be involved in land use issues. However, the response here seems to be an indication of your position. Anytime you want to give back to the land use community that you indirectly depend on, I will be happy to arrange such opportunities that will benefit you and the general 4x4 community.

Sincerely,

Steve Jackson
President, Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association
801-376-3332
steve@u4wda.org

http://www.u4wda.org

chadr

The only thing that I wished was that they showed where to sign up on the broadcast. I had to email them and find out where to go to sign. They didn't even have a website to link it to on Powerblocks site that I could see.

The only thing that I wished was that they showed where to sign up on the broadcast. I had to email them and find out where to go to sign. They didn't even have a website to link it to on Powerblocks site that I could see.

That's dissapointing. I really am frustrated with media and businesses that make money off motorized recreation, but don't support land use groups.