Powertrain Package from Novak

CJB

I have been thinking about installing a 5.3L Powertrain Package from Novak into my CJ-7. Has anyone had luck with these packages or know of someone? It's a expensive conversion and trying to find out if it really worth the price.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It can be done cheaper, but I'm sure their package will be pretty complete and you won't be tracking down bits and pieces. I have no idea what they're charging though.

EDIT: I looked closer, and got an idea what they're charging. Holy CRAP. $6k and up?!?! *gulp*
That can be done a LOT cheaper, like less than half.

But those packages do look very complete, soup to nuts.

Last edited:

CJB

They quoted me 8,300 for the entire package and that's rebuilding my transfer case. They only think I would have to do is run exhaust and drive shafts.

CJB

Thats what I was thinking...I really wanted to know if anyone had done that package yet. Thanks for the help!

jdub

Scrambler
I would pay them to outsource the driveshafts. My conversion-while done pretty cheap- I'd like to see how the pros make room around the front driveshaft and the tranny pan. The other invaluable service that they would/could provide is a crossmember/skidplate that isn't hacked like mine was.

The big things that need attention when doing a chevy swap is:

-Motor/Tranny of course. Some do a body lift to clearance some parts.
-Larger radiator w/ tranny cooler line for auto.
-Drivelines- mind the clearance of new drivetrain.
-tranny skid/crossmember.
-Adapter plate for t-case.
-I'd twin stick it while you are in there, cut up the inspection plate to fit.
-Mounting of all of the electical and diagnostics.
-Exhaust work.

They have done all of the research that I have had to trod through over the last five years like d-lines, t-case, and cooling issues. It would be nice to have that all dialed in. I have cooked my hood over the last 5 years. The paint is fading on the hood cause of the heat in the motor bay. You might want to louver the hood or heat-resist the inside.

When looking at this list I can see why there is a big charge. I would lump in as much as you can as a package if you can. That way it is more turnkey for you.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Having done a few of these (not this package, but 5.3 swaps) I will tell you the smile will never leave your face. Without looking at thier package, I'm guessing a 4l60e and you keeping your d300? That will be a good package. So they are doing the entire install for you at that price minus exhaust and drive shafts? It can be done much cheaper. In fact it is really not that hard to do at all. With just minor skill, it can be done in your garage. Let me know if you need any help. Where are you located?

CJB

Yes 4L60E, Dana 300 transfer case which is mine that they will rebuild and attach to the transmission before the ship. The quote is just for the package i will have to do the installation myself. The package comes with everything and all i will have to supply is the exhaust and drive shafts is what he told me. I am located in Lafayette, Louisiana. I just found a Dana 44-8F axle out of a 1977 Chevy Blazer with the flat top knuckle on the drivers side. Do you think this would be a good axle for me to use on the front end? Guy want 250.00 for it and its in great shape.

eatrocks

if you look at my swap [lj 5.3 2.5 days] its done with the Novak stuff you can not get much better. The motors have a 12 month on them as well. The motors had what 5 wires to find and the battery. They are started at Novak before they ship. Mine fired up after a 5 or 6 sec crank. Even the belts are new. Can you do it cheaper yes can you do it chaeper with less headache NO !