Prblem - transfer case or transmission

HAVOC

I'm not sure what I'm facing here. My wife's 5.2 won't stay in gear... any gear... It will shift into gear and then pop out once it accelerates a bit. It makes a kind of buzzing sound and then for a minute or two it won't go back into any gear. It seems to be worse after it warms up a bit. I thought it was the transmission, but I've read some descriptions of other peoples problems that sound similar and they were blaming it on the transfer case. Any ideas out there?

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Mine used to do something similar. When my ZJ popped out of gear, the t-case lever actually popped back. I would have to stop and turn off the engine to get it back into gear. I would say if the t-case isn't physically going into neutral, then your problem is in the tranny.

I guess it could have something to do with a planetary gear in your t-case that is chewed up--could that cause this kind of behavior?

HAVOC

Thanks for the info. I have decided to assume it is the transmission based on some of the more reliable information I've recieved here and elsewhere. I'm looking into a place for a re-build.