prep for bedliner

xjc

I give up :(
WHat has everyone done to prepare for paint on bed liner? I am building some sliders out of bare steel and need to get the grease off. I am thinking right now of scotchbrite with Tide soap and then some mineral spirits. Is this good or do I need to rough it up with sand paper first. Also, is mineral spirits good, it seems to me that mineral spirits leaves some residue of some kind.

Comments from seriouse paint guys is appreciated.

Thanks;)

TK1

Full Mall Crawler Status
Go to an automotive paint store and get some wax and grease remover. Mineral spirits are for oil based paints and are not a good choice and will leave a residue. Lacquer thinner from Lowes will work too, just not as good as wax and grease remover.

Brad Yates

airwalks are cool
wet rag, wire brush, sandpaper, wet paper towels, xlyene or acetone. in that order you should be set. wet rag gets the surface cleanER. you should invest in a $2 wire brush drill attachment to really speed things up. then use sandpaper for the spots you missed. and before you slop down the xlyene get all the metal shavings off with some wet paper towels. don't use xlyene or acetone unless in well ventilated areas, you might feel a little funny ;)

xjc

Originally posted by Brad Yates
wet rag, wire brush, sandpaper, wet paper towels, xlyene or acetone. in that order you should be set. wet rag gets the surface cleanER. you should invest in a $2 wire brush drill attachment to really speed things up. then use sandpaper for the spots you missed. and before you slop down the xlyene get all the metal shavings off with some wet paper towels. don't use xlyene or acetone unless in well ventilated areas, you might feel a little funny ;)

you think the abrasion should happen before using the solvent? I would have thought that you would want to get the oil and stuff off first, then rough it up.

I have a wire wheel for my die grinder.

TK1

Full Mall Crawler Status
Always clean before and after abraision. If the surface has oil or grease on it first and you sand it, you'll just force the contaminants into the scratches.

xjc

Originally posted by TK1
Always clean before and after abraision. If the surface has oil or grease on it first and you sand it, you'll just force the contaminants into the scratches.

Thanks, that's what I though, it makes sense.