pressure drop with engine oil cooler

flexyfool

GDW
Has anyone seen a big pressure drop with an engine oil cooler? I just plumbed in a cooler on my early Bronco with a 351w. Pressure at idle went from 40 PSI to 20 PSI. There are no obvious kinks or obstructions or plugs. The adapter puck between the block and filter lines up properly. It's all a 1/2" diameter system so bigger than the 5/16" or 3/8" one would use for a tranny cooler. I'm not sure what is going on. My buggy uses a very similar system with a 302 and has no pressure drop. The 302 is a new engine with a high flow pump. The 351w is old with a stock pump.

flexyfool

GDW
Well, the oil cooler isn't going to work. The pump on the high mileage engine simply can't adequately push the volume of oil through the lines and cooler. The more line that is plumbed into the system, the lower the oil pressure.

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
What i mean is why do you need to cool your oil? do you redline it a lot when crawling? cooler is not automatically better. If you need cooling, tweak the cooling system...

MikeGyver

UtahWeld.com
It is heck of a lot easier and somewhat cheaper than stuffing a bigger radiator into the engine compartment and the new hoses, fan, shroud, etc.
Yes, but don't expect anywhere near the same results as doing that. The worst part is, it's trading vital engine lubrication for unnecessary oil cooling.

flexyfool

GDW
I agree on the cooling improvement. Not expecting anything huge, but I do have one on another vehicle, and the 185 degree activated fan does turn on, run a while, then turn off so it is soaking heat out of the engine above what the coolant system is doing. As far as lubrication, that's why I stated the cooler was not going to work with the engine. I'll try some things like a 3/8" system and high flow oil pump.