Printed AR lowers and magazine

Caleb

Interesting, one of my employees has a 3d printer, maybe I'll have him print me up a lower :D I know they've been working on this for a while and the last I had heard they could get about a half dozen shots off before the lower would crack.

jentzschman

They must have just got it online. I did not see a vid earlier today!

That is freaking awesome! Now I need to find a local guy with a 3d printer!

Caleb

By the laws, having someone else print it for you is illegal. It'd be the same as having someone else machine you a lower or finish your 80% lower.

On a semi-related note, if anyone is looking, Scheels has those 100 round mags in-stock as of about 1.5 hours ago. $279 :eek:

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
By the laws, having someone else print it for you is illegal. It'd be the same as having someone else machine you a lower or finish your 80% lower.

Pretty sure there are legal ramifications for anyone finishing off a lower (or any serialized gun component) without all the proper paperwork in place first. I had to go through all the proper steps in order to build my 1919 semi.

1919.jpg

SpeedyVic

80% lower? What is that? Never heard about those.

An 80% lower is a lower that is not 100% completely machined and ready to use. Usually, it means that you have to finish drilling all the holes yourself. The hole locations are usually clearly marked, and sometimes the holes will have been started, but not drilled all the way through.

By getting an 80% lower, you avoid having to put serial numbers on the gun, but you are also limited to never being able to sell it.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-lower-receiver.html

Caleb

Pretty sure there are legal ramifications for anyone finishing off a lower (or any serialized gun component) without all the proper paperwork in place first. I had to go through all the proper steps in order to build my 1919 semi.

View attachment 79873

That's a cool gun, but you are allowed to build your own firearm (including an ar lower) without having it serialized. You just are never allowed to sell, trade, give, or otherwise transfer ownership of it. If you ever need to get rid of that gun, you are supposed to destroy the lower (or the part that's normally serialized). The same laws apply to things like suppressors, short barrels, etc in that you have to put a serial on the gun (you can make up your own, a lot of guys will use the last 4 of their social) so the short barrel is registered to that.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
That's a cool gun, but you are allowed to build your own firearm (including an ar lower) without having it serialized. You just are never allowed to sell, trade, give, or otherwise transfer ownership of it. If you ever need to get rid of that gun, you are supposed to destroy the lower (or the part that's normally serialized). The same laws apply to things like suppressors, short barrels, etc in that you have to put a serial on the gun (you can make up your own, a lot of guys will use the last 4 of their social) so the short barrel is registered to that.

I agree with that Caleb. I was thinking of a transferrable gun.
I'm still wondering what the legalities are on the printed lower? Does one have to own their own printer, or simply be the one operating it at the time of printing...???
Hmmm. :confused:

Caleb

I do know there have been machine shops that have got shutdown because they provided a service where you would bring in an 80% lower, they would help you get it setup and then you would push the go button. They got shutdown because even though the user was operating the machine, they had too much involvement still. On the other hand, there are several shops that host build parties where you bring in your 80% pay $65 and then 8 minutes later you have a completed lower. It's a very grey area, not sure I'd personally get involved with it.

jentzschman

I would do the work if/when I get one.

If its a grey area, then how can there be regulation? IMHO if they can not sight a law, then they can not enforce the law.

Caleb

I would do the work if/when I get one.

If its a grey area, then how can there be regulation? IMHO if they can not sight a law, then they can not enforce the law.

:rofl: I want to see your negotiations with the ATF. I'm sure if they've shutdown entire shops, they'd have no problem with a tea partier. Just sayin. :)