Pritchett Canyon Update

surgeryturtle

RedRoxx
A group of nine vehicles (MFFW & RME) left out for Pritchett canyon to work on several projects associated with trail preservation. The goals for the day included:
  1. Install a Carsonite marked No Vehicles at the hill before the Chewy Obstacle.
  2. Repair the fence and signs at Chewy.
  3. Drill additional posts and add more wire fencing at Chewy.
  4. Place a second winch anchor at Chewy.
  5. Inspect the lower fence at the Axle hill illegal bypass.
  6. Remove the Carsonites and replace with posts and wire fence at the top of the Axle Hill illegal bypass.
  7. Run the trail and have a good time.
  8. Clean up trash along the trail.

The work group posing for a photo after the Carsonite is in place. This spot was becoming a parking lot, not a bypass but since it goes left of the trail, it's in the WSA (Wilderness Study Area) and a big NO-NO. Hopefully our sign won't get run over too soon.

Next we went around the corner to Chewy where we found our lower fence trampled and down. This was not on the plan for a fix but we had to give it some attention.

It looked like this fence caught a couple of rigs as they came off the right side of the obstacle. There were tire tracks on the other side but they didn't seem to be trying to go through the wash.

In fact, someone tried to rip off our little logo sign off the fence that showed it was our work project. Geez, people, we are keeping this trail open for you!

Anyway, up to the top of Chewy. We had a big-gun drill today provided to us at no cost from Grand Rental. Thanks so much to them! We were able to drill holes to place posts every 4 feet or so. We also put a double line of cable and covered it with yellow plastic so it could be clearly seen.

Also a bright green winch anchor was installed. Thanks Jeff for fabricating it from your broken Dana 44 shaft! I've got a few of those myself to donate in case you need more!

This truck in the photo below waited patiently for the install and took advantage. Exactly 4 minutes after the anchor went into the rock, it was used for the first time. Whoever suggested we needed to put this in was right!

Chewy is such a long obstacle, a second winch anchor gives a better angle from the bottom to get up the first ledge. Then, rigs can hook up at the top for the second part of the climb. We are "HOPING" that this anchor will spare our fencing.

Here's a photo to show why some prefer to winch up that first ledge. Chewy is getting mean and requires a good run to get up, no more crawling. Monte did make it after a couple of scary attempts.

After all the work at Chewy, it was time to wheel. Everyone made it up Chewy, one way or another, and we were off towards Rocker Knocker. There was a bit of a jam at this point but we finally got our turn and each got to give it a try or two.

Melanie is a relatively new Jeeper to our club and she was out riding with me on Pritchett today. Here she is learning the more advanced skills like spotting and pulling little stock Samurais up obstacles. I think everyone had a chance to help out John today.

Next she got her spotting lesson. Something doesn't look right here. Melanie, don't listen to these jokers.
Oh well, Jeff don't need no stinkin' spotter anyway, he crawled right up!

After Rocker Knocker, it's a short trip to the last evil part of the trail. Nothing but obstacles.....Unnamed, Axle Hill, Rock Pile, and Yellow Hill. You can look up from the first and see the top, it just takes a while to get there.

We waited our turn for a few to winch up Axle Hill (yes, we actually waited), then made our go. We had a little work to do on the illegal bypass to the right of this obstacle so we took turns driving and drilling until all the work was done.

Here's Monte, our new club member from Washington climbing up Axle hill. He drove like a champ, no winch required. I've seen a couple roll-overs on this one and that hill is tricky and intimidating but there is a winch anchor for those who need it.

Now, over to the work team. Here's that big drill from the rental company, coming in handy yet again!

Lookin' good. FYI, this bypass was created during EJS and the BLM now has all the information. Hopefully the fence will keep folks off and out. Please respect our fences and signs and know that we are doing this to keep the trail open.

As we left out from the top of Axle Hill, there was some serious breakage in the Son of Rockpile so our group decided to go up the original way. Both routes are allowed. Everyone either drove up, took a strap assist, or took a Jeep pull and went up the Rock Pile.

After this, we all shot up Yellow Hill and made a run for Moab along the county road, racing the lightning and rain. We barely got back in time for our meeting!
Great trail and fantastic work day. Thanks for all involved and those who checked in on us during the day. Thanks too to those of you who keep good trail etiquette and those who love Pritchett! Help us keep it open!

Melissa (Redroxx)

bumpitorcrawlit

You guys ROCK!

Thanks so much for your efforts. You are precicsely the kind of people I want to wheel with. I only live about 2 hrs away and am new to this forum. I want to be involved in such projects in the future. I am sure you will have info posted in here. I will keep an eye out for such things.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
Booya! Real awesome! Should rename that illegal bypass on Axle Hill the "WWW"... "Walker's Wrong Way", or something.. ;)

1995zj

I'm addicted
Excellent work there! Thanks for all your hard work to keep that trail open and keeping us all informed on the open/closed routes!

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
hahah Jason

Nice job, guys! That's a nice clean, unmistakable fence. Hopefully it won't get trashed. Those drills sure do a good job drilling rock. :D

CJ Matt

I'm glad I was able to join in with your group and help out. Thanks to all the spotters that got me through Pritchett my first time. It's a great trail.

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Thanks, Melissa, for the great report! I'd also like to thank everyone that came along to help. We had a lot to do, but everyone pitched in and got 'er done!

I do have one correction, though. The huge gas-powered rock drill was actually loaned to us by the BLM, and Grand Rental provided an electric rotohammer. The rotohammer got lots of use for the small stuff, and the rock drill made short work of drilling 16" deep x 1 1/2" holes for the fence posts.

And to CJMatt, glad you enjoyed the trail, and thank you for your help!

drtsqrl

I luv Pritchett
Thanks so much for your efforts. You are precicsely the kind of people I want to wheel with. I only live about 2 hrs away and am new to this forum. I want to be involved in such projects in the future. I am sure you will have info posted in here. I will keep an eye out for such things.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

Thanks, and you're welcome to come along anytime. We post our trail schedule on www.webejeepinmoab.com usually a few weeks in advance, and we always appreciate any extra help!

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I really wanted to make this, I'm sorry I didn't! We changed our plans for the weekend after seeing the weather. Thanks for keeping the trail intact, glad to see you had a good turnout.

big cherokee

a.r.c fabrication
thank you so much for your hard work

with all your effort i hope people see that we are working hard to keep these
trails open.

glad to see it all cleaned up and marked now, cant wait to run this trail next year.