Jeep Problems with the brake lines

fezzydizzle

Dark Shadows
My brother has a tj 97 sport that is giving him problems in his break lines.. anytime he goes into reverse he loses his breaks.. no one has been able to tell him what is going on but needs to get it fixed. any suggestions on what it might be

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Time to pull the rear drums off and inspect/adjust them... At least that's where I'd start. Drum brakes don't work as well in reverse as they do in forward driving - nothing you can do about it, that's just the way they work. It sounds to me like the rear brakes are way out of adjustment, which will amplify the reverse no-workyness.

Obviously check all brake lines/parts for leaks, check master cylinder level, bleed the system if you find no leaks, and make sure your front pads are in good shape, and that a caliper hasn't locked up on you. Same deal in the rear - make sure the wheel cylinders aren't leaking, and that the shoes are in good shape, and that no springs or linkage are broken inside the drum.

zukking01

X2 on checking the drums. Pull the cover and verify all springs are in good condition.

If not.....
Long shot but could it be the engine boggs down just enough for the brake booster to die off making the brakes non powered? If this happened then the brakes would be soft and feel like they are not working. Long shot thought.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
What do you mean he loses the brakes? The pedal goes to the floor, the pedal is solid, but nothing happens, or the pedal is very hard to push?

How are the brakes when driving forward?