Progress pics of trailer

kirk86CJ

These areen't trailer rims - they are just regular 8" wide black spoked rims. They actually make us illegal by about 2" on width cause they are offset We are 8 1/2 wide (plus 2") :D

kirk86CJ

Supergper said:
looks good, but why did you decide to use channel for the rails instead of tube?

Habit I guess. My dad used to build travel trailers for a living.(30 yrs ago) Its what they used. We have built a few of these and used channel every time. I did read about using square tube, but I got "out voted"

We did use it accoss the back.

Do you think sqare tube is hands down better? How thick of wall would I need to be as strong as the channel?

Caleb

kirk86CJ said:
Habit I guess. My dad used to build travel trailers for a living.(30 yrs ago) Its what they used. We have built a few of these and used channel every time. I did read about using square tube, but I got "out voted"

We did use it accoss the back.

Do you think sqare tube is hands down better? How thick of wall would I need to be as strong as the channel?

well, your trailer looks like it has plenty of braces, and I can't give you any specs...BUT when you are pricing trailers the tubing vs. angle vs. channel for the main rails is always brought into play. My trailer is angle (it flexes a ton), I have used a bunch of different channel trailers and some flexed more than others, and I have used one with tube and it didn't flex at all. It is quite a bit more expensive to use tube and thats why a lot of shops dont use it for theirs. Like I said though, yours looks really good and should be a very nice trailer...