Progress pics on Fully Aluminum trailer! (well almost)

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
This is a trailer being built by my brother matt, its pretty nice looking so far, Matt post some details! Ill show the pics....

Full size ones here ...Gallery of trailer pics

thumb_000_0075.JPG

thumb_000_0073.JPG

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
mattvw65 is the one im referring too, hes building this trailer for my dad, but im thinking that.. my dad is going to have a hard time getting this from matt.

I look at it, and I want one and I dont even have anything I need a trailer for.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
It's a little hard to see what exactly is going on it the pictures, but from what I can make out it looks good. :cool:

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
BBowski82 said:
What is that thing made out of?? It doesn't look like your everday aluminum?

He works out at utlity trailer, hes basing this on a semi truck. he gets the metal from work, its really good stuff. Its expensive but very nice and light.

And he cant weld metal, if he could hed make them for al iving, all he has is a MIG, ARC, and a plasma cutter.

I am not sure on exact dimensions but its large enough to carry a car.

Ill get some better pics of it, I know its VERY light and very strong, its about.. 50% done. Hes in moab right now so im sure he will get cracking on it when he gets back monday

Caleb

most the trailers and similar items are Migged...Tig is far too time consuming to be profitable on most trailers...the custom ones and semi stuff is where you will get the tigging...do you knwo what the grade of it is? I agree with BBowski, it looks different (I have worked with aluminum on a fab level for over three years, no longer though)

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
supergper said:
most the trailers and similar items are Migged...Tig is far too time consuming to be profitable on most trailers...the custom ones and semi stuff is where you will get the tigging...do you knwo what the grade of it is? I agree with BBowski, it looks different (I have worked with aluminum on a fab level for over three years, no longer though)

I dont know, I know his mig wont do it, I think they use a tig at work.

He has a Lincoln Mig that does steel like nothing, but this aluminum he cant touch it with his mig.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
supergper said:

And utility trailer is a .. large semi truck trailer manufacturer.

Thats where he gets the aluminum from.

Caleb

NoTrax said:
I dont know, I know his mig wont do it, I think they use a tig at work.

He has a Lincoln Mig that does steel like nothing, but this aluminum he cant touch it with his mig.

what size is his mig...any mig 175 or larger (even smaller but I wouldn;t reccomend it) can easily do aluminum, all you need is the proper wire (depends on the grade of aluminum) and a tank of argon and you could be welding aluminum...;) the only reason for tigging on the custom trailers and semi trailers is mostly for cosmetic reasons...

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
supergper said:
what size is his mig...any mig 175 or larger (even smaller but I wouldn;t reccomend it) can easily do aluminum, all you need is the proper wire (depends on the grade of aluminum) and a tank of argon and you could be welding aluminum...;) the only reason for tigging on the custom trailers and semi trailers is mostly for cosmetic reasons...

Hmm I know its at least 175, and he has huge tank or argon. Maybe he has his reasons :) Like he sucks at aluminum welding? Maybe he just cant weld that aluminum? Who knows, when he gets back we will get some new pics, and some detail info :p

gtidrivr

Here @ C.R. England Inc. (my work place) I would venture to say we have about 4500 Utility refrigerated trailers, and they are all welded, and they only use a mig welder. It probably is just that he doesn't know how to weld aluminum. No big deal, if your dad is cool with it. Your buddy shouldn't need more than a new tank of gas and a spool gun to weld aluminum, some practice wouldn't hurt either. The stuff sure isn't cheap either, spool gun is roughly $600 or so and a new tank of gas about $120.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
gtidrivr said:
Here @ C.R. England Inc. (my work place) I would venture to say we have about 4500 Utility refrigerated trailers, and they are all welded, and they only use a mig welder. It probably is just that he doesn't know how to weld aluminum. No big deal, if your dad is cool with it. Your buddy shouldn't need more than a new tank of gas and a spool gun to weld aluminum, some practice wouldn't hurt either. The stuff sure isn't cheap either, spool gun is roughly $600 or so and a new tank of gas about $120.

Ya he builds those reefers, And I do think he said that his mig wasnt setup for aluminum. Something about his gun he uses, I keep trying to talk him into building these trailers, hes really good with this type of thing. But i guess we will see when hes done :)

cyberduke

Hairy Bagel
supergper said:

Wait a minute!!!! I always thought that you had to tig or some special something to weld aluminum. Does the gas have to be 100% argon or is a CO2/Argon mix ok? And, if you need 100% argon, can you use that to weld steel too? I have a Lincoln Weldpak 155 and a bottle of mix. It sounds like even if I have the right gas, it may be a little light to do aluminum. However, any of you folks been to Lowes lately? The one at Jordan Landing has Lincoln 175 Amp welders that come w/ gas less wire. However, they come w/ a gas kit and they say it can weld aluminum. I had never figured that out until now. The welder is complete w/ a cart all for less than $700. Seems to me it was like $617 or something. Speak up there Caleb (or those that know more about this than me - read "everybody") Inquiring minds want to know. :-D

-Earl

Erik88GT

Like gtidrivr said, the spool gun is the trick to mig welding aluminum. :D

Bolting that trailer together should be just fine and just as strong, plus you can take it apart/modify it later if you want.

Looks nice, I wish I had access to materials like that.

Caleb

Erik88GT said:
Like gtidrivr said, the spool gun is the trick to mig welding aluminum. :D

Bolting that trailer together should be just fine and just as strong, plus you can take it apart/modify it later if you want.

Looks nice, I wish I had access to materials like that.

the spool gun is not necessary, it does make it MUCH nicer most the time...I personally hate the spool guns, they are bulky and hard to get into tight spaces...the MM251 I used to use at work was outfitted with the push pull system...that makes it very nice...the big thing with aluminum is the wire is VERY soft...if you dont ahve a spool gun then I reccomend using 5052 wire as its stiffer than the common 4043...also if you can get a nylon liner for your gun and you must use 100% argon for aluminum...you can weld steel with 100% argon but its the most expensive way to weld steel...and you 155 Earl, should do aluminum, but I would go very thick with it...I bet it has the thicknesses inside your machine...another thing is that you shouldn;t use the same liner for aluminum as you do for steel, which means changing from aluminum to steel and back is not just a matter of changing the wire out...this is also why its very nice to have a 210 or larger as most of them are setup for dual guns...if you have anyother questions Earl ask away...BTW, if that Lincoln 175 is $617 then thats a pretty good price...I paid $600 for my MM175 but I bought it through my old work so the place (US Welding) gave me a killer deal...

mattvw65

The trailer is 6x11, and I do want to weld it, too much of a pain in the ass. Also, like stated above. its easier to replace stuff when its not welded, its built with GRADE 8 hardware, its aluminum trailer flooring, from the trailers we build. The Beams are 4" Aluminum I beams and bottom rails. 6 Steel I beams might be going into it, the touge goes all the way back to the axle box, and has two more C beams running to the axle of the trailer to form a V from the tounge (reverse).

Just got back form NAXJA moab run, will post some pics later in trips or something :)

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Looks like it'll be a nice trailer. How much did all that aluminum cost you? Last time I priced the stuff I couldn't afford it...

mattvw65

RockMonkey said:
Looks like it'll be a nice trailer. How much did all that aluminum cost you? Last time I priced the stuff I couldn't afford it...

I can buy the scrap at the going scrap price. it is generally hard to get the long stuff .the aluminum cost me around $300. :cool:

matt