Toyota Project Bushwacker

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Today I was jamming out to Eddie Money Radio on Pandora working on the Bushwacker and I thought I might share. I picked this jewel up for $100 between me and a friend. The po used to drive it to work (he works graves at the same place as me) everyday and then parked it for several months. I figured throw some good gas in it and give it a tune up and drive right?! WRONG :(

The 21R-U was burning oil and leaking--actually gushing oil out of every seal like a geyser. Instead of rebuilding/resealing it I decided to throw in a spare motor I had been saving. The 21R-U's were basically an R series mutt. They had a 22R crank, small pistons, a weird head (22R intake manifold and 20R exhaust side) and a total displacement of 2.0L. My spare motor is an almost brand new 20R imported from Japan by the po that should last a long time. In the process I removed all the emissions as I think they do more bad than good in the condition everything was in. When I went to unbolt the old motor I found only one bellhousing bolt in place lol.

DSC01562.jpg

DSC01567.jpg

DSC01563.jpg

The exterior is mint compared to the Rot Box and it even has an old school "Bushwacker" decal on the side :greg: The interior was by far the most disgusting thing I have ever seen in all my 26 years. I spend several hours cleaning out live 22 bullets (probably several hundred), dozens of cigarette cartons, and a bunch of other nasty slimy crap. There was so much garbage that there wasn't much room for a passenger :ugh: The seat has to go and I have a really nice carpet kit to replace the rotted out vinyl.

DSC01566.jpg

Last edited:

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The front hubs had some play in them and I already knew what I was in for. I kicked around the idea of swapping in my D44, but ultimately decided to keep the 8". Some Marlin seals and fresh grease and this front end should be good as new. Anyone have the Back Woods Goop guys number?! :rofl: I'm thinking vented rotors as well.

DSC01564.jpg

DSC01568.jpg

DSC01569.jpg

That's it for now. Look at all the crud that came off the knuckles! I'll grab some gaskets for the motor and hopefully get it running within the next few days.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Loving it!! I really dig those 1st Gen Toyota 4x4's, a good friend had one in high school that was his work truck. It was a rough riding, beat-up old SOB, but provided plenty of fun trail miles.