Land Rover Project: Sexy Back: Love is in the Eye of the beholder.

RogueJeepr

Here!
One more picture. Poser lights on the top. I'll most likely never use them.

1bc4c208c574d60f4e887484ceb3ec93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Put those light on the roofrack facing to the rear. For those pesky tailgaters or those extremely dusty group trail rides, so the guy behind ya can see you.

Enjoying the build.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The new starter arrived. It's a nippondenso starter made to fit a Land Rover.

I'm not sure how to spell that. Lol.

Anyway. It has a gear reduction of 1.9. Should turn this motor over much easier. And since its Japanese, should last forever.

25b526042b60c2b198b0214721cdf51f.jpg

Old vs new.

6b177f1916ff06cb60bbcb12ba7f9b78.jpg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So I'm still working on this thing. I've been hindered by a bad injection pump. I'm not sure if it's not timed right or it's the IP itself.

Today I finally pulled the pump. I though it would be a lot harder than it was. It took all of 30 minutes.

I picked up another IP. So I need to set the timing in the engine and the pump and then reassemble. I sure hope it works.

b9b34975708266b2149bd6e19b2f37cd.jpg

3c5d64198777c8b3983d00fefc93428e.jpg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
to say its been frustrating not driving this thing for over a year is an understatement.

i'm dying to get it back on the road. Hopefully this is the last thing.

then on to reinstalling the transmission, transfercase and drivelines.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I think I've finally figured out what's wrong. It doesn't seem like my lift pump on the injection pump is working right.

I just got the pump all back in and started to prime it. It started leaking fuel out.

Now let's just hope I can find a new one. This pump I have is the Rare European M pump. Not made for emissions like the Americans MW version.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Quick update.

I can't get this thing to start. It could be bad valve adjustment. I dont' know. I'm sick of it.

So I just found a complete 1985 Chevy 1/2 Ton 4x4. It has a 6.2L Diesel / 700R4 and whatever transfercase came with it. I'm picking it up on Friday, ripping it out and then i'll stuff it in the range rover. I'll add a turbo or blower after its been running awhile and call it a day.

Tonkaman

Really a 6.2? Sounds like you like wrenching more than driving....

Don't get me wrong it sounds like an adventure. Doesn't that seem like little if any foreword progress?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I don't know. I'm just annoyed. I have had this engine in the truck, plumbed and wired for months (Since March). It won't start no matter what I do.

So, I found a GM that runs and drives. Might as well swap it over and plumb it. Seems like it'll be easier.

If that 6.2 can move a 7K lbs truck pretty good, imagine what it'll do in a 5K Lbs truck.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Where are you at with the OM617, have you got fuel to the injectors? Have you cracked and bled the lines? Tried starting it on starting fluid??

You've put so much time into getting it in and ready to go, I'm sure it's frustrating but I would spend more time trying to getting it to fire than yank it out and start all over again.

Need a hand getting the Merc engine going? I know enough to be dangerous... ;)

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Injector pump has been out. I rest the timing on it and the block. Got it all lined up. I rebuild the lift pump. Bleed everything. I have fuel going into it. I get black smoke out of the turbo. It just won't fire. I cant imagine the valves are that far off that it won't run.

I also put new glow plugs in it.

It won't start on starter fluid either.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Injector pump has been out. I rest the timing on it and the block. Got it all lined up. I rebuild the lift pump. Bleed everything. I have fuel going into it. I get black smoke out of the turbo. It just won't fire. I cant imagine the valves are that far off that it won't run.

I also put new glow plugs in it.

It won't start on starter fluid either.

Wow, sounds like something is off for some reason... it should sputter, at the least if it has fuel. Have you checked the compression or do you know if the engine was running when pulled?

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The seller claimed it ran. I've talked to him a few times since. He says he pulled it out of a running and driving car.

I don't know. I may keep it for another Land Rover discovery I have in my garage.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Ive been looking forward to seeing this build run. So dont give up just yet. Im sure its something simple like a wire in the wrong place.
A guy in our car-club couldnt get his hotrod to run . I tracked the wires coming from the ignition switch and going to the coil just to make sure on that end . Turns out it was one wire going to the key that was misplaced and it fired right up.
Sometimes walking away for a bit is a good thing. Ive been there and wanted to set my car on fire. I kept with it and eventually won.
Anyways good luck on finishing your build .:):thumbs:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
The engine doesn't need any wires to run. Just a glow plug wire to warm up the cylinders.

So, I picked this up for $500. 100K miles on it. It hasn't run since 2008. It has the 6.2 Diesel. I know, I know, no one likes that motor much. but if you think about the intended use, backcountry exploring. It'll be great. I'm going to use the engine and transmission. It has a 700R4, and I will buy an adapter for the conversion to the land rover LT230. It has a high range of 1.6:1 and a low-range of 3.62:1.

14591775_10154121778440028_2795181466859626022_n.jpg