Land Rover Project: Sexy Back: Love is in the Eye of the beholder.

Toad

There is one of these land rovers at the scrap yard here in Logan. I really did not pay attention to it. If you need some parts or want to know what it is I can take a look at it for you.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
It will be interesting to see how well the OM617 pushes a Disco around. Is it a N/A engine then, didn't come with a turbo stock?

I've understood the injection pump and fueling it what limits the OM617 from making good power. Is 15 PSI within reason with the fuel limitations?

I love diesels... little jealous of this swap, it's WAY better than a TBI 350!

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I've been doing a lot of reading. I've seen one guy that modified the injection pump and added a Holset turbo, and an intercooler. He was boosting his to about 15 or more PSI. The truck was pretty fast like that.

I think with some good tuning, it can be a decent engine. Just not sure what it will do behind an automatic. The high range on my transfer-case is either 1.4:1 or 1.2:1. I need to see which one it has so I can figure out gearing with this motor. My old V8 was turning 2900 RPM at 80 mph.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
This is going in my Range Rover.

This OM617 is the 3.0L Turbo diesel. 180 ft/lbs torque. 125hp.

My mistake, can't keep up with all your British 4x4's.... :p

I've been doing a lot of reading. I've seen one guy that modified the injection pump and added a Holset turbo, and an intercooler. He was boosting his to about 15 or more PSI. The truck was pretty fast like that.

I think with some good tuning, it can be a decent engine. Just not sure what it will do behind an automatic. The high range on my transfer-case is either 1.4:1 or 1.2:1. I need to see which one it has so I can figure out gearing with this motor. My old V8 was turning 2900 RPM at 80 mph.

What's the sweet spot RPM-wise for an OM617? I would imagine 2,900 would be about right at 75/80 for one of those, they don't mind higher RPM's compared to most other diesels.

I'm interested to see what you come up with for mods to the engine, a good turbo, quality intercooler and some mods to the pump/injectors should wake it up.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
So looking at turbos. This engine used a T3 turbo with about 8 psi to make 125 hp.

I'm looking at a T3/T4 hybrid or just thought about using a Holset HX35. All will bolt up with minimal effort. I want to run 15-18 psi with the fuel pump turned up and an intercooler. I'd like to hit 200 hp.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I have moved the range rover in preparation of the diesel install. These car dollies sure make it easy to put it in my garage sideways good thing I have a third garage. Sorry about the glare. I installed some new LED light bulbs into my fluorescent fixtures. Is so nice and bright in the garage now!

12227048_10153309777195028_2709905694086501011_n.jpg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Well the next part that needs to be fixed. The firewall has a nice line of rust. Surprisingly the only rusty hole on this thing. I started fixing it by grinding all the crap out then welding new metal in. I'm about half way done. uploadfromtaptalk1447817195898.jpg

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
Working on the engine some more. The headgasket is on. I'm fighting the timing chain. For some reason I can't get the cam sprocket and chain back on with the timing chain guide. I'm going to pull the oil pan and investigate.

I also mocked up the larger turbo. Had to clock the housing. So use soon I can start working on engine mounts and adapters.

uploadfromtaptalk1449294112613.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1449294153941.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1449294187792.jpg