Project: TJ Stretch and Build

TELFORD

its a work in progress
So I bought this TJ last summer with every intention of just haveing a mild streetable runaround Jeep. After a few months of contemplating what I would do I soon realized that there was much, much more that I wanted to do. I have had several Wranglers, but always wanted a little more in the wheelbase area. The problem I ran into was I am not a fan of comp cuts, and I really did not want to tube the back out. I love the LJ's and Brutes, but I had a hard time with the cash needed for one. After seeing a few threads where people have streched their tubs, I decided that is what I wanted to do. I wanted to get a little more leg room for the backseat, and have something more of a bed like the Brutes.

Here is the plan;

I plan to run a soft half cab(for easy removeal), and some type of a tonneau(Lj duster cover probably) for when I dont have rear passengers.The Jeep will have a full buggy style cage to cover both front and rear passengers. Eventually one of the last items on the list will be to upgrade the seats, I have to make room for three boys in the back. Other that that I am going to try and leave the interior stock.
The Jeep is an auto, that will stay the same, The t-case will under-go a rebuild to include a SYE and 4 to 1 kit. Currently the rear is a 44 and the front a 30, those will both go to the wayside and be replaced. I am currently working a deal for a 9"/hp 44 combo from the guy next door. I plan to do a motor swap down the line, for now the inline six will do.
I purchased an LJ lift kit from a guy on Pirate. It was a prototype that had been sent to a Mag for a write up, that never was. He was a member of the staff who ended up with it. It is a long arm with a triangulated 4 link in the rear, and a 3 link up front. I want to keep it as low as possible, so it will get a varity of springs thrown at it untill I get it dialed in. Money and time later will determine how soon I get to coilovers. This should give me the room I need to run the 37" MTRS on 17" wheels.
As far as the body go's, I will cut it right behind the factory B pillar and pinch welds by the fenders. I purcahsed 12" of the factory rails from a guy who was dumping his tub, and picked up some 20 gauge sheetmetal to graft into the void. The frame will be cut infront of the factory lower controll arm mount and body mount, and given the same 12" treatment. I am hopeing for 104"-106" wheelbase
This should give me the wheelbase and room I am looking for. I am really excited about it and cant wait to get it rolling.

Thanks to James K for all his help, on the frame Strech!!!

Attachments

• tj strech 1.JPG
    tj strech 1.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 39
  • tj strech.JPG
    tj strech.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 47
  • tj strech 2.JPG
    tj strech 2.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 47

TELFORD

its a work in progress
The frame got worked this weekend and is now all put back together. With the tub mocked up you can get an idea of about how much strech I am going to get.

Attachments

• tj strech 3.JPG
    tj strech 3.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 63
  • tj strech 4.JPG
    tj strech 4.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 65
  • tj strech 5.JPG
    tj strech 5.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 83

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
:cool: I love seeing stuff like this, sounds like you have a great plan & a good start on the project. I think you'll be happy with the lower COG that you're going for. That combined with a 104-106" wheelbase ought to make that TJ a great trail rig with plenty of room for gear & kids.

TELFORD

its a work in progress
:cool: I love seeing stuff like this, sounds like you have a great plan & a good start on the project. I think you'll be happy with the lower COG that you're going for. That combined with a 104-106" wheelbase ought to make that TJ a great trail rig with plenty of room for gear & kids.

I am really trying to put everything into this one that I have been thinking of, I have been thinking about it for a long time now. Its really coming together, at least in my mind.

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
hats off to ya... we just paid off our tj, and I couldn't begin to imagine cutting it up :eek: definitely post your progress

kirk86CJ

I added 10" to mine. I wish I had done 12", or maybe more. I just have 35's but really haven't bottomed out too much. I did my stretch almost the same as you. I think its a pretty slick way to do it.

Kirk

TELFORD

its a work in progress
ya I was a little nervous about it it to start with, but at some point ya gotta say "what the hell I am in it now lets see where she gets us". I thought about just going 10" but figured might as well go 12". So far I am very happy with it.

Lifelong Jeeper

I would love to do this to mine but I don't think I have the guts...to convince my wife about it that is.:( ;)

How much have you spent on just the stretch part of the project?

If they're available, I may be interested in your old control arms...depending on what they are. Let me know.

Thanks.

Last edited:

TELFORD

its a work in progress
I would love to do this to mine but I don't think I have the guts...to convince my wife about it that is.:( ;)

How much have you spent on just the stretch part of the project?

If they're available, I may be interested in your old control arms...depending on what they are. Let me know.

Thanks.

You know its the little things that eat up all the time. there is probably about 30 hours in it as it sits right now. It would not be so bad if it were not for all of those thing s you dont really count on.

I already promised the arms that are on it now to someone, if he dosent want them I will let you know.

TELFORD

its a work in progress
So I finally got the suspension all put together and the vehicle finally sits on its own. There were a few modifications that had to be done, and plenty left to do. I got the rear truss in this weekend and got all the controll mounts welded in. The front drag link needs to be adjusted, its still about 2" off center, and I need to run brake lines, and an e-brake, those should all get done this week.

as it sits now there is 22" to the skid plate, and 77" to the top. Currently sitting on 37"x17" mtrs, and I am thinking about some 36" Iroks. (I know the 30 up front is to weak for the 37's, but I really have not figured on what to do in the axle department yet, and I want someting that actually runs for once.) The wheelbase is right at 105, and the coils that came with the kit are perfect. I like the way it is, we will see how she settles. I would like a little lower center of gravity, but for now I will leave it as is.

here are a few pics, I suck at the photos tonight, so I will get some better ones tomorrow.

Attachments

• TJ STRECH 08.JPG
    TJ STRECH 08.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 41
  • TJ STRECH 09.JPG
    TJ STRECH 09.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 57

TELFORD

its a work in progress
Well with my plans to leave Wednesday to go down for EJS I figured I better get some stuff done. I have spent the last few week's getting things together, the little things have taken up a ton of time. I still have plenty to do but should make it ok. It wil just have to have a test run down there I guess.

I decided to make my own "crusher corners" I spliced a few pieces of plate together and used a little torch to get it done. I am glad I whent with 1/8 in plate and not 1/4. No way in hell I was geting that done alone. I am happy with them, they will receive a few tweeks, but pretty much how they will be at this point. I used them to tie the hole body back together, it really stiffened it back up, plus it hides the splice in the body that I am not so good at. I used 2 pieces of the top rail from another tub to finish it off. I also decided to make my own rockers. I used some 1/4 4" angle iron, and some 2" angle iron to give me a profile. I am very happy with these. I think they turned out very well, and besides me giveing them some trims to take care of the square edge they will stay as they are. A short list of items remain, but hopefully Wednesday morning I am on the road south bound.

Attachments

• tj strech 9.JPG
    tj strech 9.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 8
  • tj strech 10.JPG
    tj strech 10.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 16
  • tj strech 11.JPG
    tj strech 11.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 9

TELFORD

its a work in progress